Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 17:04:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  The new Mageia.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The new Mageia.  (Read 1710 times)
John A
« on: June 03, 2011, 05:41:26 AM »

Now they have released Mageia 1:
http://www.mageia.org/en/

So I have tryed out the KDE version. Much are similar to Mandriva, but the repository is smaller.
I can not find Gyache Improved that are in Mandriva for example.One strange thing is also that you can not install program/software like in Mandriva to.
You must put in the DVD disk in the computer for every program you want install. I dont like that. (see the screenshot)
Cheese is in the repo but it ask for the DVD anyway. Same with aMSN.

Not necessary in PCLinux OS or Mandriva. I must say I prefeer the "real" Mandriva or PCLinuxOS before Mageia. Mageia have a long way to go.
Pardus is still one of the best avaible KDE distributions.

I dont realy see the point to create a new distribution that are exactly like Mandriva in most aspects, but just not as good as the orginal.

* install.png (1314.41 KB, 1680x1050 - viewed 138 times.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 06:01:10 AM by John A » Logged
bg1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »

Hello John A
If Mageia is such that Mandriva is to allow easy migration of users Mandriva -> Mageia. The second version should change a little more.
Indeed Mandriva is geared more toward business and consumer versions forsaken. Mandriva is the situation more complicated (bad
  communication with users, problem of money ..)
Mageia is made with many former employees of Mandriva.
Wait and see is just the first version.

cordially @+
John A
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:55:44 AM »

I write a bug report of the installation problem. They uses Bugzilla to:
https://bugs.mageia.org/

Maybe you can adjust that in some setting or in the installation process. Anyway I just want to try out the KDE version and see how it was.
But now I be back to Pardus 2011 again. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:03:28 PM by John A » Logged
John A
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 14:15:05 PM »

I was looking at their forum:
https://forums.mageia.org/en/index.php

All I can read is this:
"You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

A ban has been issued on your IP address."

I can not even read any topics there.

I have never been a member in the  Mageia forum so I dont know why they doing that? But at some forum/places they are very sensitive for any form of criticism.
All I have done is to point out a problem in the bug report. Wink
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 14:19:12 PM by John A » Logged
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 15:38:15 PM »

A ban has been issued on your IP address.
^ This happened to a another guy on a different forum this week and he was not happy about it.

But at some forum/places they are very sensitive for any form of criticism.
^ All too true.

All I have done is to point out a problem in the bug report.
Grin No good deed will go unpunished!  Grin

I remember one reviewer pointing out the night and day reaction to his criticism of two different distros with links to each reaction.  One recognized the problem was true and wrote about what they could do to fix it.  The other took it like a personal attack on their manhood.  It was very enlightening.

John A
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 15:04:34 PM »

Well I will not be involved in Mageia, I have enough with Pardus and Ubuntu. But I have noticed it's already a lively debate about the final released Mageia1 DVD.
(now I can go in the forum and read again)

The problem with Free DVD

“When I tried Mageia beta and RC on my old laptop (Dell Inspiron 5150), they worked fine; but I didn’t realize that these DVD included proprietary firmware. When I installed Mageia1 DVD, with only Free software inside, Internet couldn’t be connected, neither by wire (Broadcom BCM 4401) nor by Wifi (Ralink RT73). The Mageia Wiki says that after installing the DVD, you can download the Nonfree packages, of course; except for the network packages !
To fetch the missing packages on Internet with another PC, and then to copy and install them on the laptop isn’t simple for me. I succeeded, but it took me several hours !
I don’t understand the Mageia policy, why only Free software on the DVD ? You can say: It doesn’t work, but it’s Free ! I would prefer : It’s not Free, but it works !
This rule of no nonfree sofware inside the DVD shouldn’t apply to the internet connection.”

When they start to write real reviews of Mageia I am sure they will bring up that. But I leave it to the Mageia community and developers how they will deal with that and some other issues. Smiley

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 15:13:46 PM by John A » Logged
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 15:43:47 PM »

See #17 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1761094&page=2 for another guy who had problems, too.
John A
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 12:08:32 PM »

The first real review of Mageia 1 is out now:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/06/18/mageia-1-0-review/

Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 15:39:01 PM »

The first real review of Mageia 1 is out now:
^ It will be interesting to see what their reaction is to this.
owiknowi
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 21:31:19 PM »

just out of curiosity installed mageia 1 and the installation went smooth enough on a hp dv6.
still have to begin testing though, to find out what works and what not.

was happy with unity-linux 2010.2, also a mandriva spin off, but with a good reason: a minimal graphical environment to build your own customized os.
mageia claims it's targeted at developers too, so that gives me hope...

add. 27/06
saw this review today: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20110627#feature
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 14:11:55 PM by owiknowi » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: