Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 16:33:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Browsers
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Browsers  (Read 1322 times)
csaenemy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2011, 00:25:34 AM »

I notice that when playing some video clips they are very jerky in Chrome (my preferred browser), but play better in Firefox. Is this just because Firefox is a better browser, more suited to Pardus, or are there settings I should change?
John A
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »

I Dont think Google chrome have flash installed by default:
http://blogs.dailybulletin.com/click/2011/03/google-chromechromium-problems.html

Here is a solution for Ubuntu:
http://www.webupd8.org/2009/08/google-chrome-for-linux-adds-plug-ins.html

And more info here:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83950.html#main_How_do_I_install_the_latest_version_of_Flash_Player_in_Google_Chrome_

I dont know if it will work with Pardus?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:15:33 AM by John A » Logged
csaenemy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 14:48:44 PM »

Google-chrome has a default plugin libgcflashplayer.so. I have now added a plugins folder and copied libflashplayer.so into it. I have disabled the default plugin and am now running Chrome with the new addition. I shall check over the next few days whether there is any improvement.
John A
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 15:24:12 PM »

I know it can be problems if you use a 64 bits Linux version. Some still uses 32 bits operating system even if they got 64 bits PC for look at videos and so on.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20008290-264.html
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 15:31:02 PM by John A » Logged
csaenemy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 18:33:30 PM »

No. Still using 32bit Linux. The change of plugin hasn't made any noticeable difference  Sad
Sojourner
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 21:03:08 PM »

I think you are using Chromium - not Chrome. Which means that it is tweaked by the Pardus devs. I could not open about:plugins in Chromium on Pardus, as explained by the Adobe website.

Chrome is available for download only in RPM or Deb format for Linux, I think.

Consequently, the package maybe outdated and or have an outdated flash plugin. Whatever it uses, I couldn't access it or it simply was not there.

I don't use Chromium or Chrome. But I did install Chromium long enough to see if I could find the plugin ala Adobe's instruction.

I hope you can find a solution. P2011 finally issued the latest adobe flashplayer plugin today (perhaps last night). I use standalone browsers to avoid having to wait for security updates and update the plugins manually.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 22:32:38 PM »

Chrome is available for download only in RPM or Deb format for Linux, I think.
It's also available as google-chrome-11.0.696.68-1-p11-xxxxx.pisi at <2. Additional (non-official) package source: pardususer.de< Wink
csaenemy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 10:19:05 AM »

I have been using Chromium, but recently started favouring Chrome. There is not much difference, but a recent update to Chromium removed the option to X out of the browser if you have multiple tabs open, meaning it is now necessary to use "Exit" from the menu.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 11:05:51 AM »

From The Chromium Projects:
The Chromium projects include Chromium and Chromium OS, the open-source projects behind the Google Chrome browser and Google Chrome OS, respectively.
Curently I have this problem with Chromium: Bug 17759 - Speed dail extension doesn't automatically open in chromium-browser-10.0.648.204
John A
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »

Maybe the best solution is just to use Firefox 4, until the problems are solved.
Sojourner
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 13:07:54 PM »

Then, of course, Firefox is not updated to 4.1 yet, although the Flashplugin finally was updated.

And, Firefox 4 has been cited for instability, especially with flash active.

One could download and install Firefox 3.17 from Mozilla and manually install the lastest Flashplugin - and have the latest updated version of 3.6 and also the latest plugin. And. 3.6xx is stable. K2 remains stuck at FF 3.16. Of course, 3.6 FF will soon be abandoned by Mozilla.

Or one could follow atolboo's advice and use the latest Chromium from the repos he referenced.

Opera is another option, as it also is fast. However, the latest version is not in the repos. FF is fairly easy to config, Opera a bit less so and I find Chrome/Chromium even less so. I always turn off geolocate and the like. I like to "see" the option, and change the flag myself.

I think the standalone browser is better for me since it allows immediate updates to the browser, without waiting for the devs to manipulate/update the package. Cheesy
John A
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 13:34:41 PM »

I think much of this will be solved when the final version of Pardus 2011.1 will be avaible. Since they released the Beta the final version are probably not so far away at this moment. Smiley

Firefox 4 works fine for me in Pardus 2011 and in my other PC with Ubuntu 11.04.
And I think many still uses the old Pardus 2009.2 with the older Firefox version. As far I know it's still be updated so it's a good choice if you want a stabile version.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 14:03:42 PM by John A » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: