Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 12:34:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Laptop
| | |-+  Which laptop to buy?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which laptop to buy?  (Read 24542 times)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2009, 21:25:59 PM »

This is my kernel
Code:
# uname -a
........ 2.6.28-114 #1 SMP Wed Jan 14 14:57:35 EET 2009......
How is this possible?
My kernel is
2.6.25.20-114 #1 SMP Mon Jan 19 15:02:57 EET 2009
And in http://paketler.pardus.org.tr/pardus-2008.2/ I see kernel-2.6.25.20-114-51.pisi !
n0n_0n

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2009, 00:32:45 AM »

How is this possible?
My kernel is
2.6.25.20-114 #1 SMP Mon Jan 19 15:02:57 EET 2009
And in http://paketler.pardus.org.tr/pardus-2008.2/ I see kernel-2.6.25.20-114-51.pisi !

I download this kernel from a Pardus developer. I found it by chance looking for Pardus info on Pardus-devel mailing list.
Perhaps i not allowed to say where sorry, but is a Pardus Kernel.
kernel-2.6.28-114.pisi, headers and source.
The 2.6.25 from Pardus is very stable and within a lot of patchs, but I need a recent kernel for some of my laptop periferals, i am a (old, very old...) friki Cheesy
sorry my bad english.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 00:43:06 AM by n0n_0n » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »

Thanks for the explanation ! Smiley
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »

Perhaps i not allowed to say where sorry

The Pardus developper's mailing list is public and archived, so everyone can look and find this kernel version. But it is not wise to try a test version of the kernel if your hardware works fine with the stable one.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
n0n_0n

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 13:51:34 PM »

The Pardus developper's mailing list is public and archived, so everyone can look and find this kernel version. But it is not wise to try a test version of the kernel if your hardware works fine with the stable one.

ok, it is preferable not to install the kernel 2.6.28 that I downloaded because has some bugs and is not polished yet (no drivers, etc etc) and could complicate things for the less advanced users.
So I prefer not link directly to the developers kernel to it is stable (still works very well).
Somebody (advanced or loving  dangerous experience... Cheesy) user can look and find this kernel version as you say, PhiX.

The 2.6.25 Pardus kernel have some backports from 2.6.28 kernels and is very complete, estable and fast.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 14:05:20 PM by n0n_0n » Logged
Glitch

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2009, 05:39:37 AM »

I have Pardus installed on a Compal Hel-80 and everything seems to work.  I bought it in the U.S. from powernotebooks.com(unsure if they ship outside the U.S.) and specifically ordered it without internal wireless so I could be certain wireless would work under linux(by adding a Netgear WG511T PCMCIA card).  I've used it with Pardus 2008.2 to play games and watch movies as well as the usual surfing etc.  I have never tested the video camera or the fingerprint reader as I have no real need of them, but I suspect they should work fine.  It is a somewhat older model now as I have had it for about 2 years.  Before Pardus 2008.2, it ran PCLinuxOS.
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2009, 18:55:49 PM »

Running Pardus 2009 on an ACER Aspire 4810T with no hitch, nearly everything is working out of the box.   Cheesy
The only thing not working is the more light less light fn shortcut.
Pardus 2009 is amazing, congrats to the developers....
parduscokyasa

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2009, 20:22:13 PM »

Hi folks,

I wanted to just add a twist to the original post.
I have  an 8-year old Toshiba Satellite laptop that has XP-Pro on it. But it is time for a change, and soon I am going to buy a new one. I have been  hearing so many good things about Pardus and I am excited to try it out.  On the other hand,  I do not want to pay for any kind of Microsoft product that comes with a new laptop.

I found a decade old page , where somebody shares an experience about getting a refund from a never installed Windows software that came with the laptop.  He tries hard, but it is a happy -ending story.
http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/toshiba.html

Has anybody of you have a similar experience with Toshiba , Sony or other manufacturers, where you get the laptop with Windows, and then able to return the software  for a refund before an initial boot?  Does it matter whether it is Europe or US?

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 20:27:13 PM by parduscokyasa » Logged
parduscokyasa

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2009, 22:50:54 PM »

Thanks waf for the welcome,

Take care.

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2009, 13:03:41 PM »

Some vendors sell linux pre-installed laptops (independent shops, Dell, etc.). You can easily find those who ship to your country on the web.
This way, you don't have to pay for Microsoft software you don't want to use and you save yourself time and legal annoyances.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2010, 19:45:18 PM »

Hi good people,

I want to buy a laptop (1000$ at most). I have in mind Acer, Asus or Packard Bell (no HP, Dell nor Toshiba). I want it to be

64 GB SSD unit (I don't need more because I work with an external usb hard drive)
4 or 8 GB RAM (8 better)
15'' screen.

You might want to check out Zareason to see if any of their laptops meet your need, they claim that their machines work without special drivers. They have an option for no-pre-installed system (the default is Ubuntu with other *buntu and Mint as alternatives). I'm not sure where you are located but they do ship inernationally.

I was not able to get my System76 laptop to recognize many of the Fn keys when booting from the Pardus live-CD, but I didn't fiddle with it for very long. I suspect that things like Fn-F1 to disable the touchpad would need a bunch of hacking to get the System76 drivers installed on a non-Ubuntu system.
owiknowi
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 19:49:46 PM »

hi pardus colleagues Grin ,

since my hp dv6 is giving me a really hard time running on penguins, i'm trying to sell it (don't worry, not here  on the forum Tongue ).
so now i'm looking for a notebook sold without ms windos to run entirely on penguins.

found the following notebook(s) without windos, the company originates form spain, i believe, and uses compal:
1. http://www.ahtec.nl/product/configurador/index.jsp?id=550&basket=renew
2. http://www.ahtec.nl/product/configurador/index.jsp?id=560

although a bit over my budget, this way there's no money lost on software i don't need/use.
but what about the penguins, especially pardus kurumsal 2 and pardus 2011.1? will they feel at home?

the hp dv6 for example has switchable video drivers which the penguins don't like and a ralink rt3090 which is giving some troubles with hidden routers.

i can't really find anything useful on these two notebooks, penguins and especially about their video capabilities.

if anyone knows a bit or two about the hardware used, i would be glad to read your comments!

thanks up front and best regards,
owiknowi
only open source & open formats
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2011, 21:15:50 PM »

I think the "hidden ESSID" problem has nothing to do with "a ralink rt3090". Wink

And http://www.laptopplus.nl/specificatie/zonder-windows/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 21:25:46 PM by atolboo » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 08:44:29 AM »

@atolboo
thank you for your valuable information, almost completely forgotten about laptop plus and bto.
only thing is the nvidia optimus technology. on the german pardus forum they warned about that with linux... Roll Eyes

p.s. on the ralink: i never blame penguins, it's always the hardware  Grin

add 09:05: link to optimus whitepaper: http://www.nvidia.de/object/LO_optimus_whitepapers_de.html
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:06:39 AM by owiknowi » Logged
John A
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 14:29:27 PM »

If you thinking to buy a laptop I think this can get some indication which will work fine:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification

It's a Ubuntu list, but it probaly works fine for Pardus to.
I did a request for a similar Pardus list before but I dont know how they will do:
Bug # 18054

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 14:36:09 PM by John A » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: