Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 14:33:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Laptop
| | |-+  and then it all went down...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: and then it all went down...  (Read 13516 times)
owiknowi
« on: June 25, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »

hi everyone @pardus,

strange times in my hp dv6: pardus kurumsal 2 ran smoothly for about a month.
one day, running on battery, it got drained and powered off without any warning. so be it.

on reboot my hidden wireless (ralink 3090) didn't come up again as it should.
clicking on the network icon it showed networks in my neighborhood.

so i choose 'connect to hidden wireless network' and setup my hidden connection again.
nothing happened, well the icon kept spinning, but no connection was established.

wireless worked out of the box at first after installing pardus.
tried a new installation of pardus but to no avail.

also other penguins i've tried can't connect anymore. penguins on other computers do however connect just fine.
the real bad is that the obligatory w7 shipped with the hp dv6 does connect. so the chipset seems to be fine?

the end

thanks for your time and any help is much appreciated,

owiknowi
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 15:40:15 PM »

Hi owiknowi,

This thread at a forum sounds similar to what you are experiencing. 
Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 22:17:54 PM »

also other penguins i've tried can't connect anymore.
This is a mystery to me Embarrassed
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 01:16:08 AM »

also other penguins i've tried can't connect anymore.
This is a mystery to me Embarrassed

It took me about sixty seconds for my brain cells to get it.  The penquins would be linux distros.  Wink
owiknowi
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:42:45 AM »

@ lisa marie
thank you for the link and i will give it a try. also on the pardus forum i found a thread, dated 2008, with similar troubles.

@ atolboo
lisa is right: since i've done away with the closed windows, penguins came marching in and are doing all the work in my computers... Wink

thanks and i'll post the results, if any, here.

regards,
owiknowi
just open source and open formats
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:44:57 AM by owiknowi » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »

Hi owiknowi,

This thread at a forum sounds similar to what you are experiencing. 
Lisa Marie

hi lisa marie,
though the problem seems similar, it doesn't seem to solve the one with the hp dv6.

did a fresh install of pardus 2 today, on a different partition, and though wifi works, i still cannot connect to my hidden wireless network like the very first time i installed pardus.

on the hp installed w7 does still connect, so do 3 other computers with linux (pardus 2, ubuntu 10.04, mint 11, sabayon, trisquel, unity-linux, mageia).

what could have happened during/after the sudden power off? it's bios does not offer any settings to tinker with.

before posting it here, and on the ubuntu forum, i've tried to rule out as many (in)probable options. like hard ware defects.

so i'm a bit dazed and confused about this... (but your avatar shows it's not that big a deal)

added 12:45:
i use wpa2-psk, wpa encryption: aes and hidden as default settings on my router.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:55:59 PM by owiknowi » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 15:45:37 PM »

@owiknowi, I have a family of penguins that have set up nesting space on my computer, too.  Cheesy

Well, that is strange in that Windows 7 wireless still works, but not for Corporate2.  I understand these are the two operating systems on your DV6?

What is output of:
Code:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

and
Code:
sudo lspci -v
will tell you if device is detected.

I'm sure there's an answer to this problem.  Some other links that mention about overheating issues with motherboard, but again, I have to wonder why W7 wireless still works and not Corporate2?

motherboard failures

and states: "Overheating issue
Many notebook owners experience hardware failure in various Pavilion models due to overheating. The first symptom is usually a disappearing Wifi. Later failure of the graphics system and booting problems. HP does acknowledge this as a "hardware issue with certain HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000" notebooks, which is eligible for free repair. [7] Other users recommend a "resoldering" of the nVidia GPU on the motherboard."  But again, I doubt it is this as W7 still works with wireless.

This thread was interesting, but it's a patch for Arch.  Tough one to figure out, since hidden wireless worked on your first install, but not anymore after the battery down occurred.
Lisa Marie

owiknowi
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 20:40:15 PM »

hi lisa marie,

thank you for your effort. unfortunately i wasn't notified about your reply, normally i get an email about that.

as usual with most computers shipped with the obligatory closed source os, drivers are only available for that os.
hp goes even further and has a modified version of ms w7. one has to agree to both the eula of ms and one from hp.

but that's all a bit off topic.

attached you'll find a txt file with the output from the commands you've suggested.
the first command didn't give any output, the second makes it up with a lot of lines...

besides w7 and pardus, there are 5 or 6 other penguins that  have found a place in the hp, a sort of colony or gathering to smash in closed windows.

thank's again,

owiknowi

p.s. it's a hp dv6-3185ed (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02537266&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=4247579).

* hpdv6_to.txt (11.46 KB - downloaded 141 times.)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 21:34:28 PM »

...... 'connect to hidden wireless network'
What exactly do you mean by hidden wireless network
I use a Sitecom WL-341 router and can set :
Broadcast ESSID= On/Off
Is this ^^^ the same as your  hidden wireless network
owiknowi
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 21:48:48 PM »

@atolboo
yes, a "hidden wireless network" is in fact just not broadcasting its essid.
in order to connect a computer i use 'connect to hidden wireless network' in network manager and provide name and password.

only the hp has a problem connecting when using linux.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 22:03:59 PM »

Well I don't understand this.
When the router isn't sending the ESSID, how can the receiving end determine which incoming signal to select Huh?
Did you try to set it to non-hidden, make the connection and set it back to hidden.
And for me, with a wpa2-psk key, what is the purpose of hidden Huh?

I use a WPA pre-shared key Wink
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 22:11:13 PM by atolboo » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:07:55 AM »

@atolboo

thanks for your reply.

thing is with these same router settings, 3 other computers can connect to it just fine (in all about 9 different tuxes).
even w7 on the hp dv6 does establish a connection.
so imho and at first glance that is, the router or its settings doesn't seems to be te problem

i'm going to punish the hp today in order to see if lisa marie has a point that there might be a defect in the hp (overheating).

why i've chosen these specific setting for my router isn't all that interesting but has to do with privacy.
owiknowi
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »

@lisa marie

as far as i could find out this dv6 is not affected by the overheating troubles you've found.
that was with a previous series using an amd chipset.

this series has its own troubles with the 'Intel (R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family'.
"fortunately" i've got one with a 5 series intel chipset.

so i hope this narrows it down a bit more (and makes it more difficult to solve into the bargain).

=)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:09:47 AM »

.... the router or its settings doesn't seems to be te problem
This might be true.
But by temporary enabling ESSID broadcast, you can at least exclude that this is part of the problem.
Maybe it's a combination of ... Huh?
owiknowi
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 11:04:24 AM »

.... the router or its settings doesn't seems to be te problem
This might be true.
But by temporary enabling ESSID broadcast, you can at least exclude that this is part of the problem.
Maybe it's a combination of ... Huh?

that's true, it often is with computers: they follow murphy's law all too well.

so i made the router visible and indeed pardus connected to the wireless network.
set the router again to 'hide access point' and no connection was established/possible.

networkmanager does offer the option 'connect to hidden wireless network' and that worked just fine in the past.

hmm, why are the penguins in the hp dv6 the only ones unwilling to connect to the hidden wireless?
three other computers -also invested with penguins- connect just fine.

the sudden power off, due to the empty battery, must have done something in the computer it self, is my wild guess?

so how, and assuming one is willing, do we proceed from here since i would very much like to hide my router again.

nevertheless: thanks for a very good tip atolboo! _O_
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: