Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:30:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Laptop
| | |-+  and then it all went down...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: and then it all went down...  (Read 13662 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 16:43:35 PM »

I'm glad you got some feedback from someone that uses a similar setup.  As you can tell, I've never used wireless or a router.  I'm assuming this router has just one connector for each computer you are plugging into it for your hidden wireless, but if it has more than one connector, then try switching the HP to another one. 

Strange problem but must be something.  It's like the battery drain of battery and resulting power down did something in the HP bios, but you've checked that already.    If it were me, I'd want to try an older version of Pardus on it that has KDE 3.5.10, just out of curiosity.  I'd even go as far as trying another battery, or removing it and plugging it in.  You got my curiosity!
Lisa Marie

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 16:57:43 PM »

Oh, and I'd try a different host name assuming you used the same one upon Pardus Corporate reinstall.  Jiust thinking maybe it is on the receiving end of your ISP that has messed things up, though, this is just a wild guess.
Lisa Marie

P.S.  I decided that was a stupid suggestion.  Tongue  Wink

It should be started, and assuming you are using wpa service, make sure it is running.
Code:
sudo service wpa_supplicant start
or go to Tasma and check under services.  In Tasma Control Centre preferences, you can show extra modules, which will also show KDE services, too (thought I'd add that as I only found these this past week).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 17:19:21 PM by Lisa » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 17:17:06 PM »

thank you again for putting up with this nasty probelem.
i already use pardus kurumsal 2 with kde 3.5.10 and also given it a different hostname.
also tired several older and newer penguins (ubuntu 10.04 till 11.04, sabayon 6, mint 11, scientific 6 and mageia 1 are all still installed). still only w7 will connect to the hidden router.

when i made the router visible, as suggested by atolboo, pardus did connect, made it hidden it again and nope.
so i'm certainly going to try your suggestion on removing the battery and thus try to connect. although i'm almost always using it on ac.

the connectors on the router are only applicable when using a wired connection i believe.

your tip on the overheating chipset was also a good one. although it was applicable to a previous series of hp pavilion, it brought me to the hp website and found out about the new intel 6 chipset problems.
i posted that on the forum so other hp owners can benefit too from your suggestion!
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 17:23:23 PM »

(Cute dog.  I recently started volunteering for the local Humane Society each Thursday to walk at least two dogs twice round the park.  One dog I take looks like the one in your avatar.)

I don't have the link, but I did see HP's site for the DV6 that they extended their warranty for batteries, I think, so may be check their sight for this. 
Lisa Marie
owiknowi
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 17:33:21 PM »

@lisa marie

i've posted something about it here:
http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3925.0

meanwhile have tried draining the power totally -removed battery and ac- connected only to ac and booted pardus.
alas it still won't connect.

suppose something inside - bios, firmware, or whatever computers think they need- must have changed. even updated the bios a few days ago.

p.s. the wannabe penguin on the left was brought up by our cats. she still defends our garden against other cats.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 17:40:19 PM »

At this moment I am making a USB version of Pardus-Kurumsal-2-i686.iso along the same line as in this manual. Grin
And see what results I get. Wink
owiknowi
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 17:55:54 PM »

At this moment I am making a USB version of Pardus-Kurumsal-2-i686.iso along the same line as in this manual. Grin
And see what results I get. Wink
wow, if there were more easy howto's on computing like that, it actual would become understandable.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 18:17:51 PM »

Yes, this is good to hear, atolboo.  On an older computer I got rid of AntiXand switched to Puppy Wary and have been reading about putting it on a USB stick, which I think is a good idea for Pardus, too!

Well, owiknowi, Holmes would always use facts that remained as clues, and your clue is that Pardus (and, I assume the other Tuxedos, can use wireless when unhidden), but it is only when used as hidden that the problem arises.  I'd also be curious to look at any log files in W7 when the battery drained.  Slap me for suggesting using Windows to debug.  Grin     
I have much to learn about routers - wireless and wired, and how keys are set, and whether they have their own BIOS.
Lisa Marie

P.S.  Maybe I can teach Cora to do the same.  As soon as I dig in the garden, the cats want to use it as a big litter box until the plants become established.
owiknowi
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 19:08:51 PM »

it would be an interesting test, windows did yet survive the sudden shutdown without any noticeable(!) problems.
the obligatory os, shipped with many computers, is very much entangled with the hardware nowadays.

what influence does a -closed source- os have on the hardware, even when it's not started? what changes can it make to e.g. firmware?
there even seems to be software able to access a bios from within w7.

but i'm going to drain the battery tonight, with pardus connected to the unhidden router, and see how it looks in the morning.
it won't be quite the same since the first time pardus was connected to a hidden router.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 20:01:20 PM »

If you never find a solution to this, you might try installing WICD either manually with the url link I shared:

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3547.msg18268
(I corrected the Wicd link )

or install it in one of your other distros that is on the dv6.

This ubuntu 9.10 bug sounded similar, too.
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 00:40:34 AM by Lisa » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »

repeated the battery drain but no noticeable changes in pardus nor w7.
set the router back to 'hide access point'. w7 still connected, pardus still doesn't.

booted mint 11 live dvd, and guess what? yes, it's true: i was able to connect to the hidden router...
installed it again and it still connects. the only penguin so far that is able to do so on this hp dv6.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 17:37:47 PM »

Hi again, owiknowi, a brand new day and I am happy as we received a much needed rain this morning!

Back to subject at hand, or in Holmes speak, afoot.  

More clues that the live disc of Mint and the install of it now seed hidden network.  That is good, though, I wonder why?  

I understand you have not tried Pardus 2011 on this laptop?  That would be a clue, too.  Currently I have both 2011 with KDE4 and Corporate2 with KDE3.5.10 on two partitions and this latter setup has been giving me slight problems that I mentioned in "Tips and Tricks" thread about mediamanager is not running and using dial up.  In this situation, when I have used kppp to dial up, then disconnect, and as soon as I close kppp I get that mediamanager problem.  So, I decided to install Wvdial dial up utility and this too is giving me problems in that when I hit Ctrl + C it does not disconnect me from connection.  I either have to reboot or enter 'sudo pkill pppd'.  I believe it is a hal and or dbus  problem. I've recently done an update and the problem persists.  Maybe it is causing problems with other devices as well?  Still, another wild guess on my part as you said the hidden wireless did work for a while.  But, a long shot would be, after logging in, do:
Code:
sudo hald stop
and then
Code:
sudo hald start
and try connection again.

Yesterday, since I felt the wvdial not disconnecting was probably related to HAL, I did the above command and wow, I was able to then do
Ctrl + C
and successfully disconnect from my connection and USB modem.  Just  a suggestion.
Lisa Marie
P.S.  Oh, forgot to ask, do you use ndiswrapper and DHCP in this setup?  Some don't with wireless.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 17:41:44 PM by Lisa » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 11:01:32 AM »

thank you again for tour reply, lisa marie.
just tried both commands but without any noticeable results.
on the keyboard there's also a special function key which enables or disables the wireless adapter. suppose this does more or less the same?

in the section installed packages i found ndiswrapper and something called dhcpcd are installed by default.
also found that wpa-supplicant is installed which, reading its description, does't seem to support wpa2.
i'll check mint to see what they install by default.

and i will download pardus 2011.1 in a few days. this new release is due on july the third. just to for testing since i don't care much for kde4, nor gnome 3 for that matter, and prefer enterprise versions.

p.s. yesterday we had a lot off rain over here in the bog-lands too Wink since it came with a lot off lightning, i disconnected my router early in the afternoon, just to make sure.
probably just murphy's law at work, making its point...

p.p.s. by holmes do you mean sherlock holmes or oliver holmes's prediction theory of law, or yet another holmes?
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 11:25:06 AM »

Did you the topic: wireless lost on reboot
And maybe test >this solution< if it does the trick
owiknowi
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 11:35:38 AM »

hi atolboo,

what are the odds: was just reading the thread.
 Smiley

add: i'll gladly follow your advise again and see what happens. thanks!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:42:01 AM by owiknowi » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: