Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 08:13:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Laptop
| | |-+  and then it all went down...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: and then it all went down...  (Read 13593 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2011, 16:08:46 PM »

Hope you two don't mind my joining this discussion, since it is on a topic near and dear to me  Wink

But somehow I'm now getting a connection to my hidden wireless network.

I think the problem is with Network Manager. It apparently has no means to initiate the connection but only to configure it. In my other thread I've suggested that in other distros I've seen Network Manager with the option to "Connect to Hidden Wireless Network" (configuration) and "connect." I can configure 'til I'm blue in the face but without some "switch" to turn it on, nothing happens.
Hi DavidD,
My face is a lovely dark blue.  Wink
Sorry to beat the horse more, but gee, it's so hot outside (high temps. combined with high humidity) that I have time to search for similar problems, that is, until next week when the corn (maize) ripens and is time to pick.
I can't help think that your problem is a modprobe problem, in that your connection worked upon installation, which probed and set up devices, but for some reason this isn't happening upon after boots.  Don't mean to turn your face bluer, but may be look for errors in /var/log/yalliinstall.log
I've read where some folks turned their wireless switch on by first booting into Windows, where hidden wireless works, and then restarting and booting into Linux.  
At least with my dial up external modem I can see lights that blink to indicate it is being detected whether I boot into Wnds. or Linux.  For example, a difference is when I turn off computer after being in XP, two of the modem lights stay on, whereas when I turn computer off after being in Linux, one light is on.  Don't know what that indicates.
As for NetworkManager, it continues to work better in Gnome desktop.
Lisa Marie

P.S.  And to turn you a Midnight Blue, you can do a search using keywords "modprobe for hidden wireless".  I got lots of hits (too many)  but with lots of information using altavista search engine.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 16:34:10 PM by Lisa » Logged
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2011, 13:21:28 PM »

... I have time to search for similar problems, that is, until next week when the corn (maize) ripens and is time to pick.

Thank you for the high humidity research. I'm looking forward to the silver queen.

I can't help think that your problem is a modprobe problem, in that your connection worked upon installation, which probed and set up devices, but for some reason this isn't happening upon after boots.

I think this was owiknowi's problem. Mine was simply a matter of inability of the wireless to connect after reboot to a hidden wireless network. After messing with avahi-daemon.conf and a startup bash script, that problem disappeared. I don't know why, but it did. As "punishment," OTOH, I couldn't shut down the notebook, which finally drove me to wipe Pardus off. For the time being I'm leaving that notebook alone, as I must focus on more urgent things. My intention is to install Pardus some time after the 2011.1 release (is that tomorrow?) and, this time, check the shutdown issue out before trying to deal with wireless.

As for NetworkManager, it continues to work better in Gnome desktop.

Absolutely right on that! As I recall it's a Gnome tool trying to be used in KDE. Very trying. Cheesy

David

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
owiknowi
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »

well, something must've gone wrong: didn't even see the last three posts till today...  Huh?
usual i get an email notification about new posts, not this time. thought everybody must have left the mad penguins's tea party!

back to the dv6, an update:
- did a complete reset of the router and gave it a brand new ssid (that lucky router!)
- wiped the dv6 and installed only pk2. just to make sure closed windows wouldn't be part of this problem too.
and guess what? nuffink happened! maybe it just needs a nice hot cup of tea?  Tongue

still have to try the latest suggestions, like wicd, ones i've got the other computers up and running again.

@ DavidD: of course you're more then welcome to join the mad penguins's tea party!
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2011, 13:28:39 PM »

As a native Dutch speaking person, who learned some English/German/French at school.
What does "nuffink happened!" mean Huh?
owiknowi
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2011, 15:13:59 PM »

hi atolboo,

nothing, that's what it must mean, dealing with a dv6...  Grin
sit back and enjoy: neil gaiman 'the graveyard book', there you'll find some more strange words.
owiknowi
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 21:00:50 PM »

an update from the mad penguin's tea party.

did not succeed on installing wicd... did not have a whole lot of time to do some thorough  searching, so i'll get back on that.

tried a bunch of different penguins with both gnome and kde. since some weren't even able to boot the dv6, i ended up with installing ubuntu (08.xx up to 11.04), some derivatives and mint on two laptops:
1. the famous dv6
2. a more generic asus ul50a.

summary:
gnome
on 1. was able to connect to the hidden router but was unable to reboot/halt (completely freezes).
on 2. everything just worked out of the box.

kde
problems on both laptops: sometimes network manager displayed not hidden wireless networks but was unable to connect to the hidden wireless network. setting the router to broadcast its ssid, solved the problem, of course...

so it looks like gnome's network manager works better than the one from kde, but with the whole configuration of the dv6 gnome has its fair share of troubles.

to be continued (till we run out of tea).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 21:02:55 PM by owiknowi » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011, 11:36:49 AM »

just installed pardus 2011.1 _64. although the network manager shows a lot unhidden networks in the neighbourhood, it refuses to connect to my hidden router... of course  Tongue
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2011, 15:54:07 PM »

just installed pardus 2011.1 _64. although the network manager shows a lot unhidden networks in the neighbourhood, it refuses to connect to my hidden router... of course  Tongue

Well, although disappointed, I cannot say I'm surprised, as there has been no response to my bug report other than atoboo's confirmation and question. It still will be a while (two weeks) before I can play with the new Dama Dama on my Compaq V2000.

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
owiknowi
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2011, 15:11:09 PM »

purple in the face i'm putting the hp up for sale. no penguin can do its work in that thing (and me neither for that matter). Angry
There's either no wireless network at all, or there is a wireless network but can't connect to my hidden router, or it can no longer shutdown or reboot, or the penguin won't even boot (pclinuxos, scientific, centos, to name a few).

p.s. even on a generic compal ntuc0 with an atheros wireless card is giving trouble with pardus 2.
my first guess was the kde networkmanager but also mint 9 (based on ubuntu 10.04 lts with gnome) is giving trouble.

a samsung x460 and an asus ul50a work fine with all gnome based distro's.  Huh?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 15:17:17 PM by owiknowi » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »

latest -and last- update:

i didn't succeed in installing wicd in pardus k2 but tried it in mint 9, just to see what's it about.
looks like a truly nice app for detecting (hidden)wireless networks.

have set my router to broadcast its ssid so at least i can use the hp with pardus k2.
the problem seems pretty common but the how and why are nowhere to be found, at least not by me.
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 15:51:49 PM »

I came to very much in the same place in my struggle. I know there are Gnome versions of networkmanager that have the option "Connect to a hidden wireless network." I cannot recall whether I've seen that option in a KDE version of it, but I suspect I have -- AND that the option simply has not been built into the version being used by Pardus 2011+. Until we get a response from a networkmanager packager for Pardus, I don't think we're going to get anywhere. So the only option for now may be to do what you have done: broadcast the SSID.

FWIW,
David

John A
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 16:01:54 PM »

I see many bug reports about the network:
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=network

Maybe you can add some comments there (or maybe create a new report?)  and possible solve the problem in time.

Is this a KDE problem? How is it in Ubuntu/Gnome?
owiknowi
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 16:24:12 PM »

@davidd:
afaik, the kde network manager has also the ability to connect to hidden networks. i used it just fine in pardus k2 on the hp dv6 until the sudden power drain (or a router firmware update by the isp?)

@john a:
ubuntu 10.04.2 (lts) and distro's based on it, aren't able to use the rt3090 since that driver is not supported, at all.
later versions, 10 and 11, do support this driver but have a huge problem with other hardware in the hp dv6: they can't halt nor reboot the system. only option in the latter case is to do a hard power off.

only pardus k2 and 2011.1 and mandriva based distro's, after doing a separate driver install, seem to be able to work with the rt3090 . that is, when the ssid is not set to hidden.

btw. i prefer enterprise or lts penguins since they are often more stable, secure and always longer maintained.
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 16:27:44 PM »

John,

I had no idea there were so many. That's a lot of problems. My report, under the "NEW" category (!), is 17248, posted in March(!). My issue is the failure to reconnect without user intervention to a hidden SSID after a reboot. The long list of issues says to me that this networkmanager build on Pardus is very much a work in progress. I fear it's a very large problem for Pardus, since wireless is the first item that must work after a new installation on a laptop, now the majority of machines. If wireless doesn't work, users tend to go elsewhere -- fast.

End of sermon  Grin

John A
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2011, 16:32:05 PM »

It are some network tools here:
http://www.builderau.com.au/program/linux/soa/10-tools-to-connect-to-wireless-networks-in-Linux/0,339028299,339298103,00.htm

I dont know if more is avaible?

But I remember for a year ago when my friend try connect wireless with a USB stick device (D-link of some kind)
Ubuntu not worked, not Pardus, Linux Mint or PCLinuxOS.

But he could connect to the network with Mandriva/KDE. Smiley
So in this aspect Mandriva was great.
It had some very advanced settings and tools.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: