Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 01:40:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Laptop
| | |-+  and then it all went down...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: and then it all went down...  (Read 13604 times)
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2011, 16:50:03 PM »

But I remember for a year ago when my friend try connect wireless with a USB stick device (D-link of some kind) Ubuntu not worked, not Pardus, Linux Mint or PCLinuxOS.

My brother had such problems with Ubuntu. Some sticks work, but others absolutely do not. But both of his sticks worked with Pardus 2011 on my Compaq last March when I visited him (and shortly after I posted my bug report)! I've mentioned that at http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3683.msg19161#msg19161

But he could connect to the network with Mandriva/KDE. Smiley
So in this aspect Mandriva was great.
It had some very advanced settings and tools.

I've had a long-term relationship with Mandriva. It is excellent. I suspect that their 2011, whenever it finally is released (I'm not holding my breath for late August), will be great; but I finally lost patience last year with the almost total lack of communication to the forum. There have been very few problems with their wireless tools, on the other hand. I think I've read that 2011 will use knetworkmanager. I hope it will not replace the network drak tool.

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
owiknowi
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2011, 17:05:56 PM »

well the upside is that pardus kurumsal 2 and pardus 2011.1 both do get the rt3090 wireless chipset to work.
only problem is connecting to a hidden router, and my guess is that only a few people have set their router to not broadcast its ssid (see a lot of wireless networks in my neighborhood).

so i'll keep using pardus k2, and tinker with 2011.1, and maybe, just maybe, on a nice freezing cold day, the penguin will reveal why it didn't want to do what i wanted?

if the latter happens, that truly would be news, i'll post it here, of course.
owiknowi
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2011, 17:08:08 PM »

@davidd:
you could give mageia 1 a try, it works pretty well after a wired update and installing wireless drivers. Wink
owiknowi
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2011, 17:36:59 PM »

nice and useful link john a, i've posted a software request for wicd in the meantime Smiley
John A
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2011, 17:43:21 PM »

If look in Pisi. I find some tools for wireless to install:

ifplug.d
http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/ifplugd/#overview

Openvpn.
http://openvpn.net/

Network-manager-applet.
network manager GUI interface

Module-compat-wireless.
http://wireless.kernel.org/

I don't know if anyone of those be of any help?
But I agree that Pardus must have some good wireless tools to be a realy great Linux alternative.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 17:47:15 PM by John A » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2011, 19:05:35 PM »

It is odd that  in Pardus 2011 KDE4, if you look  in System Settings>Information Sources>Network Management Backend, that there you will see listed WICD as well as Fake Net, besides NetworkManager 0.7.  Some distros will offer these other alterrnatives in case one or the other does not work.  I assume Pardus team being small, they haven't gotten around to it yet.

In a wee small voice, has anyone tried adding wl to autoloaded modules file?:
Code:
sudo echo wl >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

I just went over to the Turkish forum for Pardus, and there is another recommendation that this works, except what sanaloksijen did was to boot up in Pardus, then hit Ctrl + F2 keys to bring you to console,
then switch to root:
Code:
su
Code:
echo wl>> / etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
I couldn't understand the rest of the translated solutions by this person, but one was to do a Blacklist, if one has a Lenovo 3000 V200
found here (go to wireless problem link and then to Internet section of forum)
restart the computer or laptop. 
I'm going to have to get out the intel iMac out of its box and try this out.  It has a broadcom chip wireless card.  Never used of course.  Grin
owiknowi
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2011, 20:02:45 PM »

hi lisa marie,

how's the harvesting going? i knew you could 'harvest' apples but didn't know about them apples Wink
don't like osx neither but they have very nice hardware though.

as you probably already have seen, i reset my router and let it broadcast its ssid. so at least i can use the hp.
still using kurumsal 2 and installed 2011.1 just to tinker with. it immediately connected to my unhidden wireless, just like kurumsal.

when i've got kurumsal up and running again, i'll take a closer look at 2011.1.

the hidden wireless troubles with this chipset are widespread, even making it work with a none hidden network seems to be a problem (see ubuntu lts and derivatives). so all in all the developers at pardus have done a pretty good job making it work out of the box.
trixon
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2011, 20:32:04 PM »

In a wee small voice, has anyone tried adding wl to autoloaded modules file?:
Code:
sudo echo wl >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

I have, on my mbp, works perfect! Just installed Pardus after a year with os x. Smiley (Dual boot, but still...)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2011, 00:09:29 AM »

Hi owiknowi,
I did read some of the threads you were in at Ubuntu forum and boy, tricky setup with hidden wireless.  If its any consolation, I read there are programs out there that can snatch your hidden wireless id, but I suppose if you have good encryption, this would not be easy.

P.S. @The harvest is nearly over for the corn (Bantam cross) as our garden isn't very big.  I shared some of the tips of the corn with the three laying hens and our dog.  I now look forward to harvesting some sweet peppers as I ordered some unusual hard-to-get varieties from eastern Europe area  (Buran, Antohi Romanian, and Chervena Chushka) as California Wonder variety doesn't do well here. The bad news is we had a legion of Striped Blister Beetles come through and they ate almost everything, but thankfully, they didn't completely destroy the garden.   And yes, the iMac does appear well designed and built.  I was always annoyed at the third-party software available for it, as it always cost a good bit of money, but there were a few good programs that were free.  I did like Bean word processor.  
Lisa Marie
@trixon, I forgot to say, thanks for the reply/feedback!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 16:26:22 PM by Lisa » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2011, 08:13:56 AM »

@lisa marie:
there are some pretty neat tools to hack almost every router, even the hidden ones.
why broadcast ones ssid when it's not necessary?
just can't get my mind around it why only this computer can't connect to a hidden router, that bugs me :p
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2011, 14:27:32 PM »

@davidd:
you could give mageia 1 a try, it works pretty well after a wired update and installing wireless drivers. Wink

It is excellent! I followed the development of Mageia from the time those who had worked for Mandriva were laid off. The advantage of Pardus is the built-in firmware for the Compaq v2000's Broadcom 4318 wireless card so that one doesn't need a wired connection in order to start the wireless.

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
owiknowi
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2011, 07:28:52 AM »

have pardus 2011.1 installed and up and running. looks good and a lot of hardware works out of the box on the hp dv6. even the supposed top ranked penguins can't do that.

but, of course  Grin , just like with pardus kurumsal 2, it's unable to connect to the... yes, anyone?
and what's more: wicd is installed by default (not the actual application afaict). if i put it at #1 in network setup, the network connection is dropped altogether  :'(.

so there something rotten in my pengdom...

just thought you all might want to know  Wink .

p.s. how are the mbp's doing? guess they have some rather exclusive hardware too? if it doesn't work we always can switch: you a hp dv 6 me a mbp  Tongue
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2011, 16:42:53 PM »

p.s. how are the mbp's doing?
What's is this ^^^  Huh?
owiknowi
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2011, 18:50:19 PM »

@atolboo:
just mac book pro, as seen on this forum (didn't know penguins liked apples too) Grin
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2011, 18:55:31 PM »

As far as my knowledge goes: apples is a derivative of  penguins.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: