Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:03:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Laptop
| | |-+  and then it all went down...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: and then it all went down...  (Read 13656 times)
owiknowi
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2011, 19:15:21 PM »

yes, you're right. and what's more: it even goes way back to darwin! Wink
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 19:25:30 PM by owiknowi » Logged
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2011, 21:33:25 PM »

Atolboo, let me try to crawl out of my hole by mentioning that it is 32 degrees here today, but the "feels like" temperature is 37.7, as humidity and dew point levels are VERY high. Tomorrow it will be even higher -- 43 to 46 "feels like" degrees.

Um ... that's Celsius ... of course!  Cheesy

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2011, 22:12:55 PM »

At this moment it's 16.1 °C Grin
owiknowi
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2011, 13:31:01 PM »

now it all becomes clear to me: it's just way to hot in here for a penguin to be working! Grin
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2011, 19:37:29 PM »

From wireless to weather!  I won't mention the weather but that I can't wait for autumn, and that I am much surprised that the southern part of the USA was ever settled. 

Looks like it is my turn to have no internet connection.  I just installed 2011.1 64 bits, and I was able to connect and use the browser to serf, but once I restarted the computer, and  re-connected using KPPP,  I can't png (use browser).  Hmmm.

Maybe I can add
dlout
to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
 Grin
owiknowi
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2011, 20:08:15 PM »

hi lisa marie,

nice to see you back here again!

first things first: did you install p2011.1 on the same computer as your previous pardus? and did that work well?
if so, there might be a small bug in the rather new p2011.1?

if you want i could ask around on the german forum as well for you? in the latter it would be good to provide some hardware specs.

and now back to the weather: over here it's cold and wet, we even had to turn on the heating system, in july!
always wondered why people settled here in these bog lands? the romans did too.

suppose it's way too hot and dry, or way to hot and humid, where you live? john steinbeck wrote a novel on the mid west of the usa (the grapes of wrath), during the great drought back in the 30's.

so if you want to write a bit more on the weather in between the technicalities, just let me know, i'm glad to contribute (bit of a tradition over here)  Wink
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2011, 00:25:35 AM »

Hi owiknowi,

Yes, I installed on the same desktop setup I had previous Pardus versions.
I just did a re-install to test if it is a problem after second reboot or restart because upon the initial install boot up, I edited and disabled some of the start up services (smart card reader service - don't have) as well as unticking some things in Kontact>configure Kontact,  like calander, contacts, feeds, mail, and usenet. 

I'll leave the computer on for as long as I can to see if I can dial up again to verfity the problem begins after a reboot or restart and I won't change any settings.
It's been a stormy day so I may have to turn it off earlier than I'd like to.  (uh oh, back to the weather).  I use an external dial up modem (multitechZBA-usb) and KPPP to set up the connection.
Regards, Lisa Marie

P.S.  That's a good book, as I was a late starter to the wonder world of reading.  I read "The Grapes of Wrath" when I was 18 or 19 years of age.  And since I can't stop here, I will highly recommend, "Two Years Before the Mast" by Richard Dana.  Excellent story, especially as I lived most of my younger days in southern California, and Mr. Dana gives personal accounts of the early history of that part of the USA.   And wow, the very hard work of being a sailor!
P.S.S.  The weather here is strange as it goes to extremes.  It was -17C back in February, and summer starts early and long, with temps. much above 35C and humidity levels like India or southeast Asia. 

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2011, 02:24:09 AM »

Confirming that after rebooting from initial install boot, that I am not able to ping a server.  I didn't change any settings.  When I wasn't able to ping,  Out of curiosity to test, I turned off nepomuk server, rebooted, but that did not make a difference. 

Will look into this tomorrow, and maybe try AndrewB's shell script.  I know it's for wireless, but who knows, maybe it will work for my dial up, too.
Lisa Marie
owiknowi
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2011, 09:43:44 AM »

any progress? sorry to say i'm not much help here since i know nothing -1 about modems too...
could ask around though.

p.s. thanks for the tip on richard dana, it will be my next read. the usa has some pretty good writers too.
and on the weather: after a few more days of persistent rain (raining cats 'n dogs), we actually see a star this morning (aka sun). Grin

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:04:30 AM by owiknowi » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2011, 17:21:47 PM »

Nope.

I figure they are working on it, though.  I did try something.  While in the first initial login, I reverted Dbus to the version used in the January Pardus 2011 release.  Rebooted.  Shucks, it didn't work.  And, I can't install the Janaury 2011 release as I discarded the DVD as it had problems with first PiSi updates and not being able to install the updates due to a bug for that initial release. 
I still suspect this is a dbus issue, but just a gut feeling as I am getting similar problems with Corporate2.
I might try looking in 2011.1 devel to see if they have any newer dbus and/or hal versions to try..  I did look at Yali install log and after " tearing down first log-in", it says, failed or failure.  No fun when you don't have internet connection.  Now I know what it's like.  Cheesy
Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2011, 17:48:03 PM »

Hmmm, maybe I did not downgrade all necessary version dependencies.  Will try reverting to January 27 Dbus packages.  First time I only downgraded the singular dbus package 1.4.1-53, but there is also -glib and libdus.  

Anyway, my thinking it is dbus is when I read bug reports like this:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24895

@Update.  That didn't work.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 20:45:35 PM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2011, 21:52:32 PM »

Hi owiknowi, again  Smiley

I thought this was intersting.  Maybe, just maybe 4.7 release will work with your DV6 book.
http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/MDcxuHebUt0Pf9WuUKMJ
Regards, Lisa Marie
P.S.  The half-runner beans are still not podding for me.  I learned why from listening to a local rice farm explain it -  nights are too warm, which causes plants to only grow and not put out grain/fruit.  No wonder I finally get sweet peppers when Autumn rolls round.  

Edited to add:  Hey, a fix worked for me with Corporate2, and if you ever want to try it again on your DV6, give this a whirl:
Alt + F2,
Code:
kdesu kwrite /usr/kde/3.5/share/services/kded/networkstatus.desktop

You can see here where I changed true to false.  I no longer have the problem of "mediamanager is not running" when I click on Storage Media. 

Code:
ServiceTypes=KDEDModule
X-KDE-ModuleType=Library
X-KDE-Library=networkstatus
X-KDE-FactoryName=networkstatus
X-KDE-Kded-autoload=false
X-KDE-Kded-load-on-demand=false

scroll to bottom and change from true to false
Maybe this will work for hidden wireless.  Okay, I will finally leave the well-beaten horse alone.  Cheesy
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 22:25:15 PM by Lisa » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2011, 13:02:03 PM »

@lisa marie
thanks again for your input!
so i went to work and changed it, set router to 'not broadcast ssid', and rebooted... (this pause is just intended to increase tension)...
the hp wouldn't connect to the hidden router  Roll Eyes
was worth the try though! and i like to keep tinkering on and off with troubles like these.

on the german forum they claim it's not all that interesting hiding the ssid, just like atolboo wrote in one of his first reactions.
but, however sensible, that would be way to easy and like giving in to a computer.

p.s. we've got three miniature green tomatoes on our tomato plant. that'll be some tomato sauce. or i can wait till they start to decay and throw them at some closed source firm...  Grin
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2011, 15:55:39 PM »

owiknowi, yeah, after I closed down my computer I realized, "maybe he needs this service, he's using wireless!".  It takes me a while sometimes.  Cheesy  Thanks for trying, though. 

Lisa Marie
P.S.  Yes, I planted eight tomato plants and thought I would be canning some by now.  I usually don't plant that many.  I've only gotten about 3 tomatoes this season, but boy did they taste good compared to the store-bought ones.  The plants should start producing when the temps. drop at night, usually when we get towards the end of August.  Looking forward to making salsa fresca.
owiknowi
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2011, 20:07:46 PM »

Grin funny thing is: i forgot to reset the changed settings in the networkstatus.desktop file, back to 'true'...
but, as far as the penguin is concerned, it didn't seem to mind at all... (maybe because i told nobody?) Grin

ps. if you click -> :'( you'll see our harvest for this year...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: