Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 02:51:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Laptop
| | |-+  and then it all went down...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: and then it all went down...  (Read 13505 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2011, 18:12:30 PM »

P.S. Ha!  They will be ripe by September.
I guess this thread topic has went down, too, at least, about the DV6 notebook and hidden wireless problem.
Actually, the plants and fruit look healthy.  You must not have many insects that attack them.  I would think your climate was somewhat like the climate we had when we lived in northern Utah.  We were there a few years for the work.  The summer night time temperatures dropped to about 15C, so we had to choose short-season tomato varieties with names like, "Alaska Early".  Right now my plants look terrible, but I caught what was making them look bad and removed them: Tomato Horn worms.  The stink/sucker bugs also do their damage.
Ugh, yesterday's high was 43C! and the feel-like temperature was 52C.  Embarrassed  But, it is the first week of August, usually the hottest time of the year for the US of A.
This post has nothing to do with connections of any sort, so I will share a picture of the pool party that took place last night at dusk.  Leopard frogs and toads.
Lisa Marie

* IMG_1030poolpartysaturation.JPG (919.23 KB - downloaded 109 times.)
owiknowi
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2011, 18:55:14 PM »

well, not to worry, we're still on track: http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=18818
maybe they can come up with a solution whilst we discuss the weather, crops, and amphibians who are having a party (very nice photo) Grin
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2011, 22:09:22 PM »

I said a few weeks ago that I would install 2011.1 on this HP Compaq V2000 series laptop with a Broadcom 4318 wireless card. With 2011 I had the wireless re-connecting to a hidden wireless network, but Pardus would not shut down completely. Additional information about the quirks of my setup:

1. a startup script (iwconfig wlan0 essid ... key s: ...) at first did not work, then it did work, then I didn't need it to autostart the hidden wireless connection.
2. A modification of the avahi configuration file may have helped, but changing it back (this issue is discussed way upstream in this topic) seemed to have no negative effect.

So ... I have installed Pardus 2011.1 (64 bits), and still there is no connection to a hidden wireless network without manual intervention after the boot. I tried #1 and #2 above, but no joy.

While owiknowi's HP DV6 machine has more severe issues, it seems that Pardus has a problem with hidden wireless networks that no other distribution among those I've tried encounters. I find no mechanism for connecting to a hidden wireless network in Network Manager. The ONLY way I can do it is with the iwconfig wlan0 command -- at the beginning and after every single re-boot.

I've waited patiently for a response to my bug report of March 2011 on this issue. While I'm pleased that Pardus, unlike Mageia and some others, has the built-in kernel firmware for Broadcom 4318, the necessity of manual start for wireless is a show-stopper for keeping Pardus on this machine.

owiknowi, you indicated above that you found in Network Manager the ability to "connect to a hidden wireless network." Where? How did you do that? I can't find it.

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2011, 23:58:21 PM »

Try
...... The ONLY way I can do it is with the iwconfig wlan0 command -- at the beginning and after every single re-boot.
in combination with this question >>
http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-devel/2011-August/002243.html
and the answer >>
http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-devel/2011-August/002244.html
and the final answer >>>
http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-devel/2011-August/002246.html
will do the trick
Maybe luck is on your side
owiknowi
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »

@davidd
just click on the network manager icon in the system tray and click on the second option.
by default netwrok manager is installed with both pardus k2 and 2011.1, here that is...  Undecided

* sys_tray_network.png (6.89 KB, 271x46 - viewed 188 times.)

* connect_to_hidden_network.png (7.53 KB, 294x124 - viewed 184 times.)

* network-manager.png (23.45 KB, 419x261 - viewed 199 times.)
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2011, 17:56:18 PM »

owiknowi,

I've already removed Pardus on that laptop. On this desktop machine I have what I hope you will see attached (they do not show up in a preview, so I hope they will after I post this note). I found the network manager GUI in pisi, installed it, and rebooted trying to get it on the menu; but I cannot find it now that it is installed. So I see what I saw before, and I do not have the option to "connect to a hidden wireless network." These same conditions applied to the laptop: no option to "connect to a hidden wireless network" as with network manager in other distributions.

David

* systray.png (7.27 KB, 192x24 - viewed 173 times.)

* NMwindow.png (206.81 KB, 673x337 - viewed 190 times.)

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
owiknowi
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2011, 18:30:21 PM »

odd... Huh?
looking at your screen shots, wireless is enabled but no wireless adapter seems to be recognized (it's not displayed).
when the adapter isn't properly recognized, no drivers present, no options will be displayed, afaik.

normally the wireless adapter, even without the proper drivers available, is recognized during installation and the networkmanager will be installed.

you could try some other distro live cd -e.g. mint or mageia- just to make sure if your wireless adapter works?
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2011, 19:30:16 PM »

Even though there is no wireless adapter on this machine, I have left wireless enabled (default upon installation) as you observed. And even without such an adapter Pardus sees the wireless network. That possibly could be related to the fact that some time ago I inserted a PCI wireless card to check whether the failure to reconnect on re-boot was peculiar to that laptop. It wasn't, so I removed the adapter.

What I sent as attachments is what I also have seen with Pardus 2011 and 2011.1 on my laptop. For sure the adapter is recognized on installation, as the light come on without my doing anything. I have never seen the kind of network-manager that is in Ubuntu, Mint, etc., the GUI that is much the same as what you attached in your note just upstream. Mageia, by the way, does not have the Broadcom firmware included, so there has to be a download via wired connection and a CLI installation process. Thus, the live CD for Mageia would not be a test.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2011, 20:05:48 PM »

NMwindow.png shows no Wlan interface.
This does mean that there is no such interface present or there is no driver active when the interface is present.

For sure the adapter is recognized on installation, as the light come on without my doing anything.
No, this only means that the power to the interface is not switched off.
That´s all Wink
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2011, 21:00:05 PM »

NMwindow.png shows no Wlan interface.
This does mean that there is no such interface present or there is no driver active when the interface is present.

There is no =wireless= interface on my desktop machine, from which I sent the png.

For sure the adapter is recognized on installation, as the light come on without my doing anything.
No, this only means that the power to the interface is not switched off.
That´s all Wink

I am reluctant to argue, since I am not a computer scientist and there's too much I don't know; but I never touch the laptop wireless switch. The indicator lights up on installation of Fedora or Pardus or aptosid -- including the running of a Live CD version. These distros include the b43 things that supports 4306, 4311 (rev 1), 4318, and 4320. It does not light up for any other I've tried lately -- all require downloading b43-fwcutter and the drivers. Where there are these things, there is light!  (Ubi res, lux ibi est.  Cheesy)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 21:01:50 PM by DavidD » Logged

DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2011, 04:13:04 AM »

owiknowi,

I've already removed Pardus on that laptop. On this desktop machine I have what I hope you will see attached (they do not show up in a preview, so I hope they will after I post this note). I found the network manager GUI in pisi, installed it, and rebooted trying to get it on the menu; but I cannot find it now that it is installed. So I see what I saw before, and I do not have the option to "connect to a hidden wireless network." These same conditions applied to the laptop: no option to "connect to a hidden wireless network" as with network manager in other distributions.

David

I reinstalled on the laptop because I saw that there was an update to Network Manager. I was hoping that the same nm-applet GUI owiknowi has would show up this time. NM-applet is now installed and running, but I see the same GUI as above. So I still have no way to "connect to a hidden wireless network" through this implementation of Network Manager.

Installed besides nm-applet is "Network Manager." Could this package be the reason I cannot see what owiknowi sees? I think the answer must be "no," since any removal of that package will remove a bunch of essential pieces of KDE.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:16:27 AM by DavidD » Logged

DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2011, 04:32:49 AM »

Quote from: DavidD
I never touch the laptop wireless switch. The indicator lights up on installation of Fedora or Pardus or aptosid.

While in installing Pardus again I noticed the light came on at the beginning of the process, even before files were loaded onto the HD - which would support, I believe, your assertion, atolboo, that the light means only that the switch is on. After loading Pardus, however, I ran the Live DVD of aptosid. The light did not come on until, after getting to the Live desktop, I used CENI (the wireless tool in aptosid) to configure wireless.

owiknowi
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2011, 16:34:07 PM »

just to keep you all up to date:
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=18818

p.s. and the weather over here is still... well it's just weather as usual
owiknowi
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2011, 17:43:57 PM »

nothing new on the bug report, alas.
i do however have more troubles with wireless almost every day now. like sudden loss of connection.
this afternoon even the default network profile, which is loaded at boot, didn't work any longer. created new profile and it connected again.  Huh?

still using pk2.
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2011, 03:53:19 AM »

Is there any improvement in the newer version of NetworkManager under Pardus 2011.2? I'm still baffled by the lack of options between my installation and yours, owiknowi, specifically the absence of "connect to hidden wireless network." I'm even wondering whether that option has been dropped by developers of NM. Anyone know?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: