Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 23:34:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  a motherboard that cannot be initialized with linux?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: a motherboard that cannot be initialized with linux?  (Read 1110 times)
Cnaeus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2011, 14:13:31 PM »

I have an older computer with win xp, and I wanted to install pardus 2011 on it, but ever since I've changed the motherboard, no linux runs on that machine, quite strangely. No live cd-s for ubuntu, no pardus installation, nothing. It gives the bootup menu, but after I select install, it shows a few displayful of error massages, and that's it. I did run linux on that machine before this new motherboard, so it seems quite certain that this new hardware is the thing to blame, but, is this even possible, that linux won't start on a certain motherboard?
It's an AsRock P4i65GV...
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 15:43:17 PM »

Hi, Cnaeus,

I did some searching (as time permitted) and it sounds like this motherboard is problematic with Linux. Many of the posts I saw were old, dating back to 2005-2006.

However, I did run across this more recent link, which might be helpful:

http://que-cosas.blogspot.com/2010/01/instalar-ubuntu-910-con-placa-base.html
"Instalar Ubuntu 9.10 con placa base ASRock P4i65GV." ['Installing Ubuntu 9.10 on an ASRock P4i65GV motherboard'] 22 Jan. 2010.

The OP indicates that there is a compatibility problem with the AGP graphics card, so the solution is to disable it in the BIOS settings before attempting to run a Live Linux CD and perform an installation.

He does note that the GeForce GPU does not work, if you try to use it following your Linux install. (I don't know if that might have been remedied with more recent Linux kernels ...)

If you don't read Spanish, you could run this through Google Translate. (I did not have time to read through all the comments):

http://translate.google.com/

HTH,
=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 21:22:31 PM »

See also this ASROCK 775i65GV integrated VGA conflicts with Sparkle GeForce FX 5200
and ASRock P4I65GV and NVidia MX440 running Linux
and a Google search "P4i65GV linux" might be helpful Wink
Cnaeus
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »

wow, atolbo mx440 is exactly the gpu I have, lol, just how did you know that? Smiley Thanks both of you guys, with these leads I now have an edge on the problem.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: