Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 00:49:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  Are Ubuntu's Glory Days Over?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are Ubuntu's Glory Days Over?  (Read 697 times)
John A
« on: July 01, 2011, 17:32:14 PM »

A interesting article:
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Are-Ubuntus-Glory-Days-Over-72773.html

I personaly dont think it's over with Ubuntu. The Unity desktop is new and I think it be a lot of improvments to the 11.10 version.
I guess they have a long time plan with Unity, why would they else have launced it?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 17:47:14 PM by John A » Logged
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 00:43:11 AM »

I personaly dont think it's over with Ubuntu.
Many have started to look at other distros and will like what they find.  They probably won't be coming back any time soon.  All this seems like the Coca Cola change over several years ago.   Grin If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Grin
owiknowi
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:05:43 AM »

thanks for the interesting link.

usability is a word that immediately leaps to my mind, reading the article and having tried u11.04's unity.
it has usability potential but on a rather low level of computing (communicating would probably be a more appropriate word).

undoubtedly there's a market for a desktop like unity, once it's a bit more grown up, and i even can see a few benefits.
but now it looks like it's in a void, balancing somewhere on the rim of the evolution of operating systems.

maybe ubuntu is no longer targeting per se at home and office users but more towards developers?
it still is the base for a lot of derivatives with more common usable desktops. there's even x-org based lubuntu.

but weren't computers also meant to be used for, eh, what's that word again? ah, yes: computing!
so i'll stick to an enterprise os like pardus because i need the stability, security and being able to do some work. the rest is for tinkering with...  Grin
John A
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »

I am not so sure Ubuntu would attract so much more users if they just released a new version with Gnome 2, that looks same as the previous version.
And you can still run Ubuntu 11.04 in the "classic mode". That option will be gone in Ubuntu 11.10
I am sure they recive a lot of bug reports and request now. So they got some months to improve Unity before that release.

But now I am looking forward to the new Pardus 2011.1 Not many days (4 july) before it supposed to be released. Smiley
Freebird
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 01:29:17 AM »

So much disgust seems to be coming from folks over Unity that as a new Linux user I will not be trying out Ubuntu right now. It looks like the change will hurt Ubuntu in the short run for sure.
We are celebrating Independence Day in the U. S. (4th of July) and I have an extra day off from work. I was hoping to do an install of the new Pardus 2011.1 while I had some extra time off but since it won't be available till Monday I might try an install of Mint. A friend said he really liked it well.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: