Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:55:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Samba wont start
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Samba wont start  (Read 3286 times)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »

I finally got time to pay attention to this samba.

I could not use Pardus if samba were not working
If you mean samba on Pardus, I don't think this is 100% right.

I
I have a server running FreeNAS.
This means only the samba server on FreeNAS should be active in order to have access to your files (located on the  FreeNAS server).
This is as far as my knowledge goes Grin
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 17:51:31 PM »

I thought it had to be running on both server and client. You may be correct, as the "top" command does not show it running on my Pardus machine. But my experience has been to connect to the shares only when samba-client/samba-common are installed and samba is running.

I'd welcome an education on this issue, but it's a sidebar to Cnaeus' problem. I'm having no trouble connecting to the server or to printers on the network (not connected to the server).

[edit] fixed a typo in the paragraph just above.

[edit] I installed Mandriva 2011 RC1 yesterday. It would not connect to the server until I installed samba-client and samba-common (+ cifs-utils, and maybe nss-wins). Pardus 2011 and above appears to have only samba-server, giving service to files on network machines while advertising the Pardus machine and its shared files.

[edit2] In direct contrast to Mandriva, I installed Fedora 15 Gnome from the live CD. I punched a hole in the firewall to allow networking, including samba, and was able to connect to the server shares -- without samba-client and samba-common on the Fedora side. So, atolboo, you appear to be correct and I incorrect about whether those two packages have to be running to connect to a server sharing files. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:48:26 AM by DavidD » Logged

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 22:53:24 PM »

And to bypass the current samba problems in P2011 have a   in >this manual<.
Tomorrow I will make an EN version of it Wink
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 22:38:02 PM »

Tomorrow I will make an EN version of it Wink
Well, it has taken a little bit longer of but finally .........

The new manual is now available in the Pardus Wiki > Network Solutions.
You can them in this >Settings for Pardus_2011<.

This is the first version in will be expanded with more settings.

Remarks/Improvements/Errors are very

And activating the Xinetd and Samba service will solve the "Samba wont start" problem .
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: