Hey, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was able to compare the output of the commands that you suggested with my wife's laptop and could see that upower was not detecting my battery properly.
I also found this command:
solid-hardware details '/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0'
which had this output:
udi = '/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0'
parent = '' (string)
vendor = '' (string)
product = '' (string)
description = '' (string)
Then I checked to see if there was a new version of upower in the Pardus 2011 devel repo which there was. The stable repo currently has upower v0.9.8 and the devel repo has upower v0.9.12 and was just updated by a Pardus dev for a version increase.
I can't find a bug tracker for upower so I'm not sure if there was a known issue with v0.9.8 that has been fixed but here is what I did to fix it:
pisi build https://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/2011/devel/hardware/powermanagement/upower/pspec.xml
and then once the package was done compiling I installed it like this:
pisi it upower-0.9.12-7-p11-x86_64.pisi
I imagine you could just download the binary package from here instead of building it yourself:
Or you could just install the devel repo into pisi and install it that way.
Anyways, it's working just fine now. I can suspend and everything.