Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 10:48:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  couldn't create /home partition during install Pardus 2011.1 [solved]
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: couldn't create /home partition during install Pardus 2011.1 [solved]  (Read 3250 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2011, 22:01:59 PM »

Hello,

I received the new Pardus 2011.1 64 bits installation disc today and verified it.  I did my usual manual install.   I first booted into Ultimate Boot CD and using Ranish Partition Manaager,  erased the two partitions I had installed Pardus 2011 (January initial release) that had root and home partitions separately.   Then booted into Pardus 2011.1 installation disc.  I selected empty partition on disk, then clicked Edit, and selected  Format as ext4 and selected / for Use:, OK.  That went fine according to the white window which shows disk(s) and partitions layout.  
Then selected the second blank partition on disk, went back to the Edit button, ticked ext4, but when I entered /home and clicked OK, the Disk window  layout only showed "unknown".  I then went back to that partition (Edit) and ticked Format ext4 and OK, it would show it as being formatted as ext4.  I then selected it again, clicked Edit, and selected /home and ticked ext4, OK. But, it would then show as "unknown" again in the white Disk window layout.  
It did show root partition correctly with the: / and the green arrow to format as ext4.    I decided to let it install and it created the /home folder under the root folder.  That's the first time I've had this problem.  Will try another install just to see if it was an error on my part.  Would like to know if anyone else has come upon this problem?
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 17:45:57 PM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 14:52:10 PM »

I first erased the two partitions I had previously installed Pardus 2011 (previous version) that had root and home partitions separately.
It took some time to make the next pictures.... (because of this problem)
Deleting the existing two partitions isn't necessary.
When I do it, as in the two pictures, I don't have any problem Grin
It's installing right now

Then selected the second partition on disc, went back to the edit button, ticked ext4, but when I entered /home, it would not accept that.
I selected "/home" from the drop-down list.
And set the "Format" marker.

Maybe this also works for you

* Partition-edit-system-EN.png (29.14 KB, 655x258 - viewed 221 times.)

* Partition-edit-home-EN.png (28.17 KB, 680x261 - viewed 208 times.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 14:56:41 PM by atolboo » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 16:49:41 PM »

Hi atolboo,

You are right.  No need to erase previous install, but it is something I do before I install an operating system.  I use Ranish Partition Manager to write zeros over it.   I guess it is just habit but I like to start with a wiped slate.

The snapshots you shared of the Edit button window does not show all of those options when I am installing from a blank/erased partition - no Resize or the numbered MB to the right of it, but does if you are writing over a previous install.  With blank partition install,  it shows the Format tick/select and the Use: drop down window.  This is what  I am used to as this is how it was with the first Pardus 2011 release.  Just to let everyone know, I will try this again, and this time go ahead and install over the previous install to see if it will work.  

What I did do to get it to work was:
Select  the empty partition, select Edit tab which brings up Edit window, tick the ext4 Format, and select / (for root), click OK,  the white window Disk layout shows it correctly with the green arrow and root.  Then select my second empty partition from the white window, again, select Edit, tick the ext4 file system, then select any of the other: /var or /tmp/ or /usr  and click OK.  In left pane it will show green arrow and whatever you selected, whether it be /var, /tmp, etc., Then go back to that partition by clicking Edit, and select /home and tick ext4, OK, and now it shows it in the white window layout with green arrow and /home.  Proceed to install.

This problem is only in this July release of Pardus 2011, as it worked fine in the first release I was using, so something changed.  I assume Pardus team are fine tuning the Yali installer.  

Much obliged for the snapshots!  
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 17:48:53 PM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 16:59:28 PM »

What I did do to get it to work was:
I will do this ^^^ tonight.
Now it's first having a and some time to let it sink... and then it's
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 17:57:16 PM »

Yes, eat, atolboo!   Cheesy    Seriously, I hope you enjoy your meal and don't fuss over this.

Knowing most people don't install linux on separate partitions and most don't install on a blank disk or partition.

Added information is that I have two sata hard drives, first has windows xp, and second drive the entire drive is formatted as extended, and then it is broken up into logical chunks, the middle being a partition for swap.

To let you know, I just installed over the previous install, and that was EASY!.  I had no idea that the partition size had a slider bar so you can just click on it and slide it all the way to the left, selecting the entire partition.  I thought I would have to manually enter the size.  I'm not going to bother writing zeros over my disk the next time, as it is just one extra chore to do that is not necessary, unless I am wanting to sell my hard drive.
Thanks a bunch!
Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 22:31:17 PM »

.... I hope you enjoy your meal
Thanks it was

... don't fuss over this.
Don't worry , I like to
And here is my result in pictures.... (I used Pardus-2011.1-Dama-Dama-i686.iso and Create > Standard > Partition)
(while I was making these pictures in KolourPaint and answering this, the installation was finished)

* P2011_1-manual-partitioning-EN.png (172.29 KB, 820x1049 - viewed 219 times.)

* P2011_1-summary-EN.png (27.5 KB, 355x321 - viewed 195 times.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 22:34:52 PM by atolboo » Logged
John A
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 12:12:16 PM »

Maybe a good idea to put that guide in the Pardus Wiki to? Smiley
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »

At the moment I am testing whether Bug 16077 - "Shrink Current System" option of P2011RC result in a non-bootable OS is still valid for Pardus-2011.1-Dama-Dama-i686.iso.
Right now it's with installing.
If this installation goes and thus the bug has been solved, I can make the P2011 version of the P2009-Wiki.
And if this ^^^ is true,
Maybe a good idea to put that guide in the Pardus Wiki to? Smiley
isn't necessary.
John A
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 12:34:46 PM »

Thanks. This is very good, with nice screenshots:
http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Installation2009

So one for 2011 would be excellent to. Smiley
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 13:05:26 PM »

Right now it's with installing.
And all is and thus I will start
the P2011 version of the P2009-Wiki.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 19:30:47 PM »

atolboo, you are a busy bee!

Did you install 2011.1 on a blank partition or disk?

I should report this as a bug for those installing over an empty/blank partition using the Manual setup.  When I tried it both times, the Edit button did not show Size: or the MB drop down menu, only Use: and File System: and Okay/Cancel.  And, I was unable to choose /home unless I first selected another location as I described above.  This was not a problem in the 2011 release earlier this year.   I guess I'd need someone to confirm this installing on an empty disk or partition.  It could have something to do with it being a logical partition, but don't know for sure.
Lisa Marie
P.S.  Again, thanks for those snapshots!
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 21:11:11 PM »

atolboo, you are a busy bee!
Well, I like to

Did you install 2011.1 on a blank partition or disk?
You can in the pictures that I used a VirtualBox.
And there I used a (virtual) HDD with (~5GB) NTFS partition and the rest (~27GB) no partition.
(this ^^^ is the only method to create pictures)
I am now going to repeat the test on a second computer on a 100% real (complete blank) HDD.
And for the result, wait ~1 hour
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 21:47:29 PM by atolboo » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 21:46:01 PM »

First result: After the manual partitioning, it's now installing the system and thus so far so good...
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 22:46:31 PM »

Final result: It's 100% with the partitions in the picture.
Conclusion: I can not confirm your problem

* Partitions.png (88.15 KB, 808x468 - viewed 193 times.)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 00:01:52 AM »

I feel like a fool.  And it is so typical of me, my husband would nod his head...
I went ahead and erased both partitions again to try, and found out what I was doing wrong.
When selecting /home, I was forgetting to tick the bullseye to format as ext4.  I did this, Okay, and looked over the partition layout and it showed it correctly.   I blame it on Chronic Dingbat disease or possibly ADHD.   Cheesy

False alarm, and no need for anyone to confirm this.   Again, thanks for checking on this, atolboo!  Sorry to have wasted your time.
Regards, Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: