Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:10:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  dial up problem after reboot Pardus 2011.1 release [solved]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dial up problem after reboot Pardus 2011.1 release [solved]  (Read 2125 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2011, 21:05:59 PM »

I put in a bug report for my problem of no ping after rebooting from initial installation.  I've tried a few things this morning, but nothing helped.  I reinstalled so I could grab the one update that was available, kdelibs, and also reinstalled some of the main packages, like kdebase and networkmanager.  I'm about to see if that had any effect.  
Seems when Pardus does the 'Operation 'Teardown First-Boot...' or whatever that message says after you enter your user account/password  and root password, it seems to remove something critical; my only guess.  Or, not.  Probably it is associated with the large update of 26 May, which I did not do, otherwise I would probably have noticed this problem then.

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=18788
Lisa Marie
P.S.  Interesting.   After re-installing Pardus 2011.1 I have left the computer on all day to avoid the problem, and in the meantime, trying to get any crucial updates.  I went ahead and added testing repo for 2011.1 and it did about ten packages.  Hoping this will do the trick, otherwise I will have to reinstall the first 2011.  
Okay, the interesting part is that I installed wvdial dial up utility and when I click ctrl + C to close the connection, it does not disconnect.  This is the same symptom I am having with Pardus Corporate2.  So, it can't be related to the latest KDE4 desktop.  

@Update after another two installs, so I can try and figure out what is wrong, but so far nothing, but can only guess this could be related to the Dbus problem I am having with Corporate2 using KDE3.5.10.  Today using Pardus 2011.1 I am still in original session after install and am able to surf.  What is interesting is once I disconnect using kppp the desktop applications became very slow to start, such as Konqueror, and Dolphin file manager, and Package Manager, taking up to 40 seconds to appear.  I wish I could figure out how to downgrade to an more reliable Dbus version, if it is a Dbus  or Hal Dbus compatibility issue.  Sorry to say I'll probably reinstall Pardus 2009.

@Update:  downgraded to the Jan. 27 dbus and its dependencies like dbus-glib, dbus-python, but that did nothing.  
And another bit of information is when I first install, log in and set up kppp and connect, then surf using either browser installed, my connection speed is lower than it should be.  (shows 49000 when it usually is 50666), so that tells me one of the MANY services in KDE4 is hogging some of my band width.  All of these services would make Microsoft envious.  They are not for my desktop setup, i.e. no battery, no notebook, no laptop,  no GPS, no cable or wireless modem, no Bluetooth, no touchpad, sd card reader, etc.  My wish for future KDE and Pardus is that many of these will not be automatically installed, or that the installer can detect whether one has all of these items or not.  I'm starting to nag, but it's gotten a bit ridiculous.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:35:17 AM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 02:44:05 AM »

Ooh, was I getting mad there towards the end of that message.   Wink

Anyway, I am able to surf.   I would not have figured it out if I had not installed the Mint 9 KDE4 disc my husband left for me.  I installed that and there again, I could not surf.  But there I had a clue when starting kppp it said it was missing the resolv.conf file.  So I had to create it and set up verizon open nameservers on it to surf.  I then booted into Pardus 2011.1 and looked at file:
/etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
Where did you come from?  This is new.  Well, no wonder I was not able to surf, since I don't use network-manager to set up a dial up connection.  So, what I did for now was open Dolphin as root and went to that file and entered:
nameserver 4.2.2.1
nameserver4.2.2.2

I probably could do this in kppp as well, but did it manually. 
And, the nice thing is my connection speed is back to 50666. 
I went every which way to figure this out and was about to throw in the towel, which I didn't want to do really as I use Pardus Digikam for my photo albums.
Breathing a sigh...
Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »

As I have a fixed (all time on) internet connection, I couldn't help with kppp

...... as I use Pardus Digikam for my photo albums.
My tip: Have a look (especially for viewing)  at Picasa (available from 2. Additional (non-official) package source: pardususer.de)
And for the complete Picasa (and Chrome) discussion here
(if I would have a dail-in connection, I would make short description "How to do kpp" and make a Wiki page for later and for other users)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 20:22:04 PM »

Hi atolboo,

And thank you, but you and others would have fixed this sooner if you were using dial up.  I never thought of looking at resolv.conf, and I should have, knowing the changes/upgrades to KDE4. 

Yes, I'll try and do a Wiki after I look into this further.  This time I used kppp to add the nameservers of my choice instead of editing resolv.conf as root.  It worked.  After making connection it shows:
Code:
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 4.2.2.1 #kppp temp entry
nameserver 4.2.2.2 #kppp temp entry
(Verizon open/free dns nameservers.)

I've heard of Picasa but have never used it.  I will check it over.  Thanks!
Regards, Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 21:49:53 PM »

..... if you were using dial up.
This ^^^ is so very rare here that I even don't know where to go to get a subscription for such a connection.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 21:51:47 PM by atolboo » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 05:57:54 AM »

atolboo, yes, I wouldn't think dial up has been used in your area for some time now.  Fairly metropolitan.  I also remember reading that many European countries own governments have put money into bringing wireless to the people.  Here, that has not happened,  One of the strange things or differences between the USA and Europe is here we tend to want our own space.  I guess this started back in the pioneer days.  We are so spread out, which is very wasteful when it comes to resources.  In Europe. I notice that there will be a community that is centered around a hub or center point.  Here, our mindset is, "This is my place, leave me alone, I want to do as I please, and I don't want anyone looking down my backside", etc.  If you walk into a fast-food restaurant, people sit down to their own tables, far away from each other.  when I go to one (rarely do this, but once in a while I get a hankering for fried Cod fish) I tend to talk to people in the table next to me to be sociable.  I don't like eating by  myself.  Anyway. you map also reminds me of why my father's mother's family settled in the state of Michigan, as it is closest to your region in climate and the nearby Great Lakes.  Her family was Dutch.

Back to subject: Just did a re-install to do a bit more figuring out.  It is weird.  Upon inital login, there is the usual resolv.conf file with the three sets of Pardus nameservers, which is what I am used when using Pardus.
But when you reboot, this gets emptied and replaced by the "#generated by NetworkManger" line.  This even happens if, upon inital login, open Dolphin file manager as root, go to permissions of resolv.conf and change it to "read only" instead of R/W and adding the three Pardus nameservers.  I also turned off NM in services and changed it to "false" in /etc/conf.d/Networkmanager, and, at the same time I went to /usr/sbin and changed permission of NetworkManager executable by  making it unexecutable.  I don't yet know what is generating this change in resolv.conf file upon reboot of initial login.  More for me to look into.  The only way for me to use Pardus nameservers is to manually edit the resolv.conf file after login.
Time to call  it a night. 
Lisa Marie

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 10:40:37 AM »

I wouldn't think dial up has been used in your area for some time now.
This was true in the past. But nowadays (almost all?) connections are via a ADSL connection over a normal telephone line for ~€20/$28/month.
And besides this ADSL/telephone connection I can use/choose  a CATV/coaxial connection or a (brand new ) optical fiber-to-the home connection.
The CATV also has internet and telephone service.
At this moment the fastest ~€20/$28/month connection is via the ADSL connection.

I also remember reading that many European countries own governments have put money into bringing wireless to the people.
If you are are pointing to UMTS or 3G, this has nothing to do with fixed connections.
And as far as I know this is a (various) private company involvement and not a government involvement.
John A
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 16:18:05 PM »

Here in Sweden most use ADSL and some wired connections. I don't think anyone for some years have a dial-up connection nowadays?
Many have wireless solutions like this to (translated with Google):

http://translate.google.se/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.net1.se%2Fprivat%2Fbredband-lillapaketet.aspx&act=url

The company Net1 support Linux also. It's owned by a US company:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_Industries
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 16:27:39 PM by John A » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 17:47:49 PM »

Now I understand.  I always assumed it was wireless.  Thanks for the links to read.

And I kind of think I know why we don't have ADSL here.  After reading this quote from the Wiki: "ADSL can generally only be distributed over short distances from the central office, typically less than 4 kilometres (2 mi),[2] but has been known to exceed 8 kilometres (5 mi) if the originally laid wire gauge allows for further distribution", I understand why we don't have it.  We live about 12 miles from town. Also, the copper lines have not been maintained, especially after the telephone company break up back in 1984.  We've had our little stretch of line replaced about six times since we've lived here for 13 years, due to the road grading cutting it with his blade.  Lots of splices and when they do replace it, the cable is of poorer quality than the original, according to my husband who has looked at it after the "grader boys" mangled it.     It's all about money here, made more tempting by some of the recent FCC Telecommunication Acts that have become law in our government in the past 11 years.
Lisa Marie

P.S.  I am using the three dns nameservers for Pardus (can be found in /etc/resolv.conf.backup) and my dial up speed is slightly slower and my desktop becomes slow.  Strange.  I just clicked on File Manager and the bouncy icon is bouncing and if I wait about 40 seconds, it will appear.  Cheesy 
John A
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 19:14:22 PM »

It's different strategies around the world with broadband:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_broadband_plans_from_around_the_world

Webpages and so on are more demandig now with flash pages, movies. So a dial-up connection will be to slow if you read a newspapers at internet etc..
It was ok at the time with Windows 3.11, 95 and 98.

Maybe Finland have reached longest in this aspect?

"Finland has passed a law making access to broadband a legal right for Finnish citizens. When the law went into effect in July 2010, every person in Finland, which has a population of around 5.3 million, will have the guaranteed right to a one-megabit broadband connection, says the Ministry of Transport and Communications"

I wonder how they will do? They have many villages and single houses at the country side and not many citizens, and a relative large country.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 20:01:42 PM by John A » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 22:09:20 PM »

But nowadays (almost all?) connections are via a ADSL connection over a normal telephone line....
And to correct this ^^^

>According to research done by the OECD the Netherlands is ranked with Switzerland in having the most broadband subscriptions per 100 inhabitants[1], has no bandwidth caps[2] and has the most homes passed in Europe in terms of connection speeds of 50 Mbps and higher[3].
Cable is the most popular form of Internet access with 41% of total subscriptions, followed by various forms of DSL and Fiber to the Home according to statistics from the end of 2010 gathered by the association of Dutch cable providers[4].
<

The fastest I can get at this moment is this >download 120 MBit/s, upload 10 Mbit/s + TV + Phone< for € 67/$ 96/month Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: