Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:13:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  [Solved] Pardus 2011.1 ACPI problem in plasma/kde
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Solved] Pardus 2011.1 ACPI problem in plasma/kde  (Read 4897 times)
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2011, 22:06:13 PM »

I have now installed pardus 2011,1 and after one or two hour of usage i have tried to freeze to ram my pc (sleep) by the K menu: nothing success. Then i tried to shutdown the pc by the k menu: nothing. But after one minute the screen goes to dark and the windows with the 30 secs shutdown choice appear.

The shutdown is slow but works and the pc goes off.

In the past i have used P2011 and i had similar problem.

I suppose the problem is ACPI bu if i try # halt / pm-suspend  / pm-hibernate  in P2011 it works very well.
The problem is plasma? is KDE?

Where i can to see to find the problem? which log file?

TY and sorry for my english.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 22:41:42 PM by Sandro » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 22:28:04 PM »

In Dolphin goto Root > var > log and activate Find > Content > Find: suspend ....
And all files with "suspend" will be displayed.
Maybe it's of any help Huh?
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 23:14:07 PM »

In Dolphin goto Root > var > log and activate Find > Content > Find: suspend ....
And all files with "suspend" will be displayed.
Maybe it's of any help Huh?

TY atolboo for the reply.

Code:
aria log # cat *|grep -i suspend
cat: audit: Is a directory
cat: comar3: Is a directory
cat: ConsoleKit: Is a directory
cat: cups: Is a directory
cat: iptraf: Is a directory
cat: mysql: Is a directory
cat: news: Is a directory
cat: samba: Is a directory
[    81.290] (II) RADEON(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
[    81.434] (II) RADEON(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
[    89.163] (II) RADEON(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
[   145.327] (II) RADEON(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
[   115.530] (II) RADEON(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
[   130.368] (II) RADEON(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
[   130.460] (II) RADEON(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
[   150.619] (II) RADEON(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
[   208.571] (II) RADEON(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
2011-07-29 16:43:19,091: DEBUG    Pisi: suspend installing
2011-07-29 16:56:17,033: DEBUG    Pisi: suspend configuring

I have used dolphin too, very useful but i'm not lucky, same result. When i try to sleep (suspend to ram) by k menu it seem the pc to do noting.

It is a kde, plasma or ACPI problem? or other problem?

# pm-suspend works great.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 01:29:00 AM »

Hi Sandro and atolboo,

Same problem here.  In my case, I use dial up which I use kppp to set up connection, and as soon as I disconnect and quit/close kppp, the desktop becomes slow in response when I click on File Manager, or Package Manager, takes about 40 seconds for these to finally appear.  And, when I click on Leave>Shutdown or Restart, these usually show a window that shows the countdown to shutdown or restart, but instead, the desktop darkens and it takes hmmm, about a minute or more and then the window that shows the countdown to shutdown or restart shows, and it shuts down or restarts.  Upon reboot or restart, his behavior doesn't start until I connect to the internet.
Lisa Marie
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »

Hi Sandro and atolboo,

Same problem here.  In my case, I use dial up which I use kppp to set up connection, and as soon as I disconnect and quit/close kppp, the desktop becomes slow in response when I click on File Manager, or Package Manager, takes about 40 seconds for these to finally appear.  And, when I click on Leave>Shutdown or Restart, these usually show a window that shows the countdown to shutdown or restart, but instead, the desktop darkens and it takes hmmm, about a minute or more and then the window that shows the countdown to shutdown or restart shows, and it shuts down or restarts.  Upon reboot or restart, his behavior doesn't start until I connect to the internet.
Lisa Marie

I use kppp too. After i connect to internet and then close the connection by kppp i usually shutdown and the system take about 0.5-1 minute to respond to my click to shutdown in k menu and the system freeze for 20 second.

I suspect kppp and the internet connection too.

his behavior doesn't start until I connect to the internet.

Yes before i connect to internet all works great. but after i try to shutdown the pc for the first time when the system freeze and click cancel to confirmation window, i can shutdown at any time instantaneously. It Seems pardus don't works well when there is problem with shutdown.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 13:08:51 PM by Sandro » Logged
John A
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 13:07:17 PM »

I suppose you could write a bug report of this:
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 13:11:08 PM »

I suppose you could write a bug report of this:
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/

Yes but my english is poor and i'm not able to identified the problem exactly.
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 14:13:51 PM »

The bug:
1) startup pardus (works fine)
2) open an image with gwenview (works fine)
3) connect to internet by kppp (works fine)
4) shutdown the connection by kpp (works fine)
5) open an image with gwenview (don't works, it take a lot of time.)

Lisa can you try it?
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 15:34:48 PM »

Hello Sandro,

Your English is very good!

I am happy to find another dialup user here!  I thought I was only the only one.

I will try what you suggested. 

What I want to ask you is have you restarted your computer since the install and first login session?  After I did, what happened upon next boot is I could not ping - no surf using browser.   I looked at file:
/etc/resolv.conf
and it was empty of nameservers.  I had to edit this file and add the nameservers manually. 
What nameservers are you using?

I'm still testing this problem by re-installing Pardus 2011.1  I did not have this problem with the beta release in January.   

Right now I am thinking the problem is caused by NetworkManager, but I am not certain of this. 
Regards, Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 16:12:16 PM »

Hello again Sandro,

Something to try and verify:
Go to System Settings>Service Manager>and go to drop down menu, select Running Services and stop NetworkManager. Apply.  Close System Settings GUI.
Then click Alt + F2, which brings up run box and enter:
Code:
kdesu kwrite /etc/conf.d/NetworkManager

enter root password
and change "True" to "False" Save.
Reboot, and see if that makes a difference.

I went ahead and changed this back to the default "True" and rebooted, and now Kwrite, Dolphin File Man. and Package Manager are slow to appear.  So, maybe this does have something to do with NetworkManager.  Still testing this.
Lisa marie
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 16:44:50 PM »

Hello Sandro,

Your English is very good!

TY very much but my English is a mix between English and Italian Wink I have the dictionary that save me and the suggestion.

I am happy to find another dialup user here!  I thought I was only the only one.
I use an Internet key for mobile ADSL connection and use kppp because it works fine and has the volume accounting for byte transfer counting. I have a limited volume accounting of 1 GB/month.

I will try what you suggested. 

TY Smiley

What I want to ask you is have you restarted your computer since the install and first login session?
Yes i have installed P2011 in root (/) and leave /home untouched and i have reboot many times. I have not tuned the system, i'm using the default. When i resolved this problem i will set the automatic login, the num lock on at start up, i will disable some service that i not use, and so on.

After I did, what happened upon next boot is I could not ping - no surf using browser.   I looked at file:
/etc/resolv.conf
and it was empty of nameservers.  I had to edit this file and add the nameservers manually. 
What nameservers are you using?

I have simply change the dns in kppp:

Account
DNS
Configuration-> manual
DNS address list: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Disable existing DNS servers during connection: check

I'm still testing this problem by re-installing Pardus 2011.1  I did not have this problem with the beta release in January. 

I suppose is a simple DNS server problem, i have not this problem. Maybe Pardus 2011.1 have not a good DNS server management, maybe another bug?

Right now I am thinking the problem is caused by NetworkManager, but I am not certain of this. 
Regards, Lisa Marie

maybe, NM set a lot of things, i don't use NM, I use kppp because it is less invasive and has a volume accounting.

bye Smiley
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 17:12:35 PM »

I went ahead and changed this back to the default "True" and rebooted, and now Kwrite, Dolphin File Man. and Package Manager are slow to appear.  So, maybe this does have something to do with NetworkManager.  Still testing this.
Lisa marie

Hi Lisa,
i have stop the service and set to false the startup service at boot, then reboot, open an image (ok), connect by kppp (ok), Disconnect (ok), open an image, it takes a lot of time.

I have watch the services ant NM service is down. I have returned to the original setting. For me this solution don't works.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 18:36:50 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!  It seems to work for me.

To find whether service is actually running enter:
Code:
service NetworkManager status
and you may want to also see if wpa_supplicant is running as it is joined at the hip with NetworkManager:
Code:
service wpa_supplicant status

I forgot to mention that I turned wpa_supplicant off too when I turned off NetworkManager service.  Then I went and changed "True" to "False" in /etc/conf.d/NetworkManager file. 
Looking into this more, and at the same time working on both of our cars that are out of service (changed starter in one, still not starting, and have to figure out how to replace clutch slave cylinder in other)  Shocked  But I like to do this sort of stuff.  More problems to solve.
Regards, Lisa Marie

P.S.  I am also trying the suggestions I gave you in Pardus Corporate2, as it suffers from a similar problem, though it uses KDE3.5.10
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 19:51:45 PM »

Lisa i have another solution, very simple and very effective.

1) boot pardus
2) goto Terminal and type "top"
3) connect to Internet by kppp
4) close the connection

If you watch Terminal and the top command you observe that when you close the connection there is a precess named kded4 that sit down kde and used about 95% of the CPU time.

If you kill that process (kill -9 pid of kded4) you see kde immediately  respond in real time. After the process killed if you reconnect to Internet and then disconnect the process kded4 is not recreated, so the problem disappear. The problem reappear after reboot.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 20:08:16 PM »

Interesting! 
That would be htop process viewer.  Okay.

Interesting because in Pardus Corporate2 I have installed on another partition, when I start kppp, connect, surf the internet........disconnect (time to feed cats  Cheesy ) and quit/close kppp, that at that moment, when I go to Konqueror file manager, and click on Storage or Storage Media, I get an error popup message "kde mediamanager is not running".  To fix this, I have to open terminal and enter:
kded
or
kded --new-startup

(I think this kded is also known as kdeinit.) 
Or, the only other alternative is to not close kppp.
I think we are getting closer to what causes this.  Thanks again for the feedback, Sandro!
Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: