Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 10:43:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  Install Pardus 2011.1 w/ prop. video driver, halts at acpid [solved]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Install Pardus 2011.1 w/ prop. video driver, halts at acpid [solved]  (Read 1763 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2011, 15:40:51 PM »

Hi all,

I usually don't install the proprietary video drivers upon Yali install, but testing the installation disc for 64 bits, I tried it just to see how it would go. 

Each time it halts at:
....configuring acpid
and a backtrace popup window appears:
'script error org.Freedesktop.Dbus.Error.no reply'
This doesn't bother me as I like to use nouveau for my nVidia card.  Does anyone eles have this problem?
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 18:37:38 PM by Lisa » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 17:59:36 PM »

hi lisa marie,

don't know from the top of my head if available as an option before installation, but sometimes you can enable or disable acpi during install (pressing one of the f buttons, use arrows to select applicable option, press spacebar to mark, and esc and continue the setup routine).

maybe nothing, maybe worth a try?

regards, owiknowi
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 18:27:14 PM »

Hi owiknowi!

Yes, thanks for that tip.  And I thought so too, so I tried No ACPI at the install page where you one can click F5 for kernel options.  I guess I am not patient enough, but it put out terminal text and kept on putting out text, and I waited 20 minutes and it kept putting out text.  I thought to myself, is this what its like to build your own kernel in gentoo?  I just didn't know if it was ever going to finish, so I clicked restart both times.  So, was I too quick? 
Lisa Marie
P.S. I will write it up as a bug report later, as in the beta release of 2011, this did not happen.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 21:39:23 PM »

Does anyone eles have this problem?
Not me, i haven't ever seen this Grin

Try also adding "acpi=off" to the boot options line.

.... I tried it just to see how it would go. 
I always use system Settings > Display and Monitor > Video Driver.
owiknowi
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »

and other penguins? this way you can, maybe, find out whether it's a generic linux kernel "problem" (not yet implemented). there are some pretty neat problems with switchable graphics and the optimus stuff  from nvidia.
progress it's called, i believe.

compiling your own kernel is lots of fun! tried it ones myself on a 'big blue'. left it computing for about 14 hours and it came up with nothing i could use... Roll Eyes

p.s. "acpi=off" is the same thing but done from a kernel options line, as you've probably already guessed.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 15:13:48 PM »

Thanks for feedback owiknowi and atolboo.

Obviously not a big problem, otherwise lots of other nVidia-user folks would be posting about this, too.  I'm assuming that "Proprietary Hardware Drivers" is just for video, but maybe this is for other hardware, too?

I did try atolboo's suggestion and yes, owiknowi, same thing in how long it takes, but with atolboo's suggestion you are looking at the boot screen and not text.  I gave up again when it seemed to be taking forever.  My patience ran out as I had other things I wanted to do.  No big deal, as, like I said I like to use Nouveau driver and as atolboo said, one can install the nVidia driver after the install.

Yes, owiknowi, making a personal kernel is only for those that have the patience to learn how and do it.  I don't. 
Lisa Marie
a.palius
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 16:08:22 PM »

Each time it halts at:
....configuring acpid
and a backtrace popup window appears:
'script error org.Freedesktop.Dbus.Error.no reply'
This doesn't bother me as I like to use nouveau for my nVidia card.  Does anyone eles have this problem?
Lisa Marie

I've got the same problem when I try to install Pardus 2011.1 x86_64.
I've got graphics card with nVidia GPU and chose proprietary driver.

Today I tried install with "No ACPI" kernel and installation stopped at the same point.

P.S. I will write it up as a bug report later, as in the beta release of 2011, this did not happen.

Lisa, did you fill the bug report?
I installed 2011 release without this error too.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 16:34:29 PM »

Hi a.palius,
Here is Bug 18825
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 17:11:37 PM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 18:38:41 PM »

This bug is solved for me with Pardus 2011.2-64 bits.  Thanks to Pardus team!
Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 20:35:38 PM »

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: