Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 09:23:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  As seen on the internet
| | |-+  Why Linux are not ready for the desktop?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Linux are not ready for the desktop?  (Read 1841 times)
John A
« on: July 31, 2011, 16:37:12 PM »

A interesting article:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
Most thing works for me now, but I had some of the problems there to (with sounds for example) Smiley

And in some I not agree:
"4.By default most distros come without good or even Windows compatible fonts."

The new Ubuntu font looks excellent even if you compare it with Microsoft or Mac:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/07/first-look-new-ubuntu-font-boosts-linux-typography.ars
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 16:49:15 PM by John A » Logged
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 17:58:58 PM »

A interesting article:
Wow!   Huh? Does this stuff work at all?  Huh?

The new Ubuntu font looks excellent
I don't remember where I read/heard it, but PCLinusOS is using Ubuntu fonts.
BellaPup
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 00:37:53 AM »

I would have to say that I agree with most of the points listed in the article  Sad   Sadly so..

Really now, Linux is a great server OS as well as embedded but to say it's fantastic as a desktop OS when it's really just mediocre is not being realistic when looking at the needs and habits of your typical "regular Joe" home user... The biggie for me is:

All of 1 and 5 under Hardware
ALL of 3 and 4 under Software..

and..
Problems stemming from low linux popularity and open source nature:

Few software titles, inability to run familiar Windows software (some applications which don't work in Wine have zero Linux equivalents).
    No equivalent of some hardcore Windows software like AutoCAD/3D Studio/Adobe Premier/Corel Painter/etc. Home and work users just won't bother installing Linux until they can work for real.
    No games. Full stop. Cedega (now dead) and Wine offer very incomplete support (besides open source AMD and NVIDIA GPU drivers don't offer enough performance and compatibility, and stuck on OpenGL 2.1).
    Questionable patents and legality status. USA Linux users cannot play many popular audio and video formats until they purchase appropriate codecs.

Also, Program bugs bugs bugs....

Here's some more good points, not only with Linux issues but also how the community responds to those that raise these issues:
http://batsov.com/Linux/Windows/Rant/2011/06/11/linux-desktop-experience-killing-linux-on-the-desktop.html

Part 2:
http://batsov.com/Linux/Windows/Rant/2011/06/14/linux-desktop-part-2.html

So, with that I say goodby to you all, it was somewhat short with me and Pardus but long, as in 10 or so years, with Linux but I'm sticking with Mac OSx and Windows XP/W7. I at least know what I can actually get done when using them, software works too. Already done the great Linux purge from my shop, PC's, literature, bookmarks, etc..

If Linux still works fro you then enjoy the ride, my trip is on another road. To each his own  Wink

Bye,
BellaPup

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 15:32:40 PM by BellaPup » Logged
John A
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:28:50 PM »

I got a Windows 7 PC. But also a Linux as a complement.

But if my sisters children (15 and 18 years) use the Windows 7 PC some weeks and then I come back to check it then it's almost impossible to use it. Full of toolbars and junkprograms etc, sometimes trojan horses and very slow..I must clean it for a long time..

Sometimes they have use my PC with Linux and then thats not a problem. So I guess it different problems with differents system.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:42:22 PM by John A » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 13:46:33 PM »

did they ever consider for real how it can be that closed source software seems to work, like 'always'? why almost every computer is shipped with a closed source os? of course not.

only on truly equal terms one can make a comparison between open source and closed source software. not on the current terms: closed source firms have all code available to make their stuff work.
for example: try to install a closed source os without the use of a driver cd(!) and? hell, that'll never work!

and what about the licenses (mostly restrictions and limitations binding you to a company), privacy, the costs (pay for every piece of software and you may use it only on 1 computer), the nonsense that's often shipped with closed source software... and what's even worse: not being able to make changes to it so it actually does for once what one needs it for?

and what about governments? why don't they invest in open source? instead they just keep wasting tax money on some very rich firms, thus making them selves and their citizens depended of those corporations!

tried working for over ten years with closed source software and will never, and i mean never, make that mistake again... (switched completely to open source about 4 years ago, and with success).

i could ramble on for a long time on this subject, but i wont. the author(s) are probably paid to write some things and paid not to write some other things. articles like that are just bunk!

keep up the good work at pardus and all other penguins and little bsd devils out there!

the above is just a personal opinion based on personal experiences. therefore nor truth nor creed may be derived from it.
John A
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 15:32:55 PM »

Here in Sweden they often use solutions that only work with Windows:
http://www.bankid.com/en/What-is-BankID/
They had it for Ubuntu to, but it was only for version 8.04 and with the old Firefox:
http://support.bankid.com/sv/supportbankidcom/Mitt-BankID-fungerar-inte/Systemkrav/

Even Mac user had some problems with Bank-ID/E-legitimations.
It are some open solutions to:
http://fribid.se/index.en.html

But it's often developed by one person only and when he/she get tired of it then it be a problem with future development.
Like Gyach Enhanced  :

http://gyachi.sourceforge.net/intro.shtml

This examples and many others prevent people to change from Windows to Linux in a larger scale.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 15:43:03 PM by John A » Logged
BellaPup
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 16:09:58 PM »

But if my sisters children (15 and 18 years) use the Windows 7 PC some weeks and then I come back to check it then it's almost impossible to use it. Full of toolbars and junkprograms etc, sometimes trojan horses and very slow..I must clean it for a long time..

Maybe because it's due to the fact that they do not know were Not to go on the Internet..... Also, If an OS, ANY OS, is as widely used as Windows then IT TO will be enjoying the same vast attention of virus and trojan writers as Windows does! True as it is, it's still the truth... My Mac is becoming more and more a target, and I fear I'll need to get some "protection" for it as well, some day soon. Linux is scarcely used, hence the lack of concern, but there is always tomorrow to get bit.

and what about the licenses (mostly restrictions and limitations binding you to a company), privacy, the costs (pay for every piece of software and you may use it only on 1 computer), the nonsense that's often shipped with closed source software...

They never made me not do what I wanted to. I believe that if I bought it then I can use it on all MY PC's, irregardless of what the EULA says, same with music CD's and DVD's. Also, free does not mean it's Great, it only means it's free. I have no issues paying for software I like, that works well for me. And, the OSS equivalents available to Linux are not there for what I use, and it's not as easy as pie to find.. I still think the OSS for windows and Mac are far more available to the average user, very easy to find AND install!

closed source firms have all code available to make their stuff work.

True, that's there advantage

try to install a closed source os without the use of a driver cd(!) and? hell, that'll never work!

No driver CD required at all when I installed W7 on 2 PC's and 2 Laptops! None, as in not needed. XP, yes you need drivers cd's but how many times are you actually going to install XP on any given PC? So it's not an issue with myself. Heck, I pulled more hair out of my head with Linux and the drivers I could not find (for any one "distro") let along install (for any one "distro"). Windows and Mac = "put cd in drive, answer a few questions. Driver then installs, reboot and all is well".

I use:
Print Artist 12 & 24 for craft's, cards, labels & more labels.
Paint Shop Pro X, only one I found to remove "pet eye" (like red eye) on dogs and cat's
Sound Forge (Audacity crashed all the time..)
Diamond Cut's DC 8, nothing compares! http://www.diamondcut.com/Catalog/DC8Details.html
Movie Edit Pro, loaded with features and it works for me fine.
Picasa for Mac
Firefox and Opera, as well as Mail on my Mac. Yes it is safer then Windows for surfing when kids and teenagers are involved!!

Just my two cents. To each his own, may you enjoy the ride you picked. Many good wishes to Pardus and only Pardus, the rest never made me feel at least somewhat good like Pardus.
John A
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »

I have just bought a new PC. It got Windows 7 premium. And I will keep that to.
Used Linux for 3 years but now I will go back to Windows again. And I agree with BellaPup.

It's to much problems in general with Linux and I getting tired to deal with them all the time.
But I wish the Pardus project good luck. Smiley

Thanks for me.
owiknowi
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 07:44:48 AM »

hi john a,

so if i'm not mistaken you left the forum / pardus altogether? that would be just too bad!
i for one liked all of the information you've provided here on the forum!

so, won't you reconsider, please?

anyway, if not, thanks for your contributions and if you run into troubles with w7, feel free to contact me (website).
i'm not actual using w7 but have it installed just to know what's it about. have some neat toys to mess it up too...  Grin

best regards, owiknowi

Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »

i for one liked all of the information you've provided here on the forum!

so, won't you reconsider, please?
I for two!
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 18:25:34 PM »

And I for three!

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: