Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 13:13:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Unhandled exception error at end of install to USB stick
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unhandled exception error at end of install to USB stick  (Read 1728 times)
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2011, 01:24:59 AM »

At the very end of the install to a usb stick:

http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Creating_an_USB_device_in_order_to_test_any_Computer/Notebook/Netbook

I got an unhandled exception error. There was a backtrace but of course I could not copy it to anywhere. Reboot and see "non system disk or disk error" message on screen. Anyone else have this problem or an idea what could be wrong ?

This is with Pardus 2011.1.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:29:01 AM by airtight » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 15:49:55 PM »

Hi airtight,
I've installed the 2011.1 installation disc numerous times already, and had this happen once, but I can't recall the backtrace message.  I only know that I could not click on Next or the bottom left button to reboot, but had to do a hard reboot to quit.    The next time I installed, this did not happen, or the several times afterwards, and as far as I know, I didn't do anything different.  I only assumed maybe it was because my monitor went to sleep towards end of install, but it was not this. 
I have a a desktop setup.
Lisa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 16:01:22 PM »

I forgot. On second thought I did have my USB printer and USB scanner plugged in and turned on at the time of the exception occurred error. Otherwise, with the other installs I only had my USB 56k modem plugged in and on.  Maybe nothing to do with it.
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 19:47:28 PM »

Hi Lisa Marie,

Thanks for your replies. Maybe I will try it again but this time to the hard drive, once I get the drive imaged. I am using an old Compaq nc6000 laptop with only 512MB of memory. This runs Pardus 2009.2 well enough but maybe the low amount of memory might have something to do with the install to USB failing. I am only guessing though and probably wrong. I had similar problems with the 2011 beta and RC releases and never got one to install, but recently I installed 2011 on my partners laptop and it went ok, maybe I was just lucky that time... Smiley

If the 2011.1 install to my laptop fails I will try 2011 and then if it goes ok I can update to 2011.1 with Pisi. I want to install Pardus for other people so I need the install to work consistently or it will put them off Linux.

Cheers,

Dale
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 22:19:36 PM »

Anyone else have this problem or an idea what could be wrong ?
I have done many new installations of P2011.1 and never had this.
Can this behaviour be reproduced a second time Huh?
....... but maybe the low amount of memory might have something to do with the install to USB failing.
What do you mean by "install to USB" Huh?
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 22:32:34 PM »

I was doing the install to a USB stick form your guide here:

http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Creating_an_USB_device_in_order_to_test_any_Computer/Notebook/Netbook

I could try it again but it took a very long time, so I may try an install of Pardus 2011.1 to the hard drive of the laptop I am using instead of the USB stick. Just need to image the drive first so I can easily go back to how it is now.

Dale
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 22:40:35 PM »

..... but it took a very long time,
I also wrote "4. After the installation (which takes ~ 1 hour)".
And this is because USB is a slow interface compared to the  HDD interface.
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 23:26:43 PM »

..... but it took a very long time,
I also wrote "4. After the installation (which takes ~ 1 hour)".
And this is because USB is a slow interface compared to the  HDD interface.

Yes, I was expecting it to, I'm just not in a hurry to repeat the experiment only to find it fails again at the last hurdle... Wink

Dale
John A
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »

Here is a USB guide to:
http://kpweb.homelinux.org/blog/index.php?id=17

Here they sell many distributions pre-installed on USB flash drives:
http://linuxcd.org/index.php

But not with Pardus. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 13:05:28 PM by John A » Logged
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 22:26:04 PM »

Here is a USB guide to:
http://kpweb.homelinux.org/blog/index.php?id=17

Here they sell many distributions pre-installed on USB flash drives:
http://linuxcd.org/index.php

But not with Pardus. Embarrassed

Thanks for the link John. I don't have enough memory to run a VM but I've got it bookmarked for future reference. Cheers.

Dale
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 20:08:31 PM »

So I installed Pardus 2011.1 to the laptop hard drive and got the same error as I did with flash stick install. Then tried an install with Pardus 2011 to the hard drive and that worked fine.

I filed a bug in Padus Bugzilla only to get a Bugzilla error when I pressed Commit... argh! Have written to the admins as requested by the error page and await a reply.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: