Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:50:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  Microsoft declares victory over Linux.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Microsoft declares victory over Linux.  (Read 1617 times)
John A
« on: August 15, 2011, 18:20:25 PM »

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsoft-declares-victory-over-linux-names-apple-and-google-main-rivals/3756?tag=nl.e539
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:41:01 AM »

Funny, yesterday I was so annoyed at KDE 4.6.5 that I caught myself thinking, I'm ready to go back to XP, and XP only! 

I threw in the towel and today I loaded up Pardus 2009.2.  I haven't used this version in quite a while.  The Pardus Team should be very proud of this version. 

For my gripe, it seems KDE is moving to a mobile device world, of which I do not use.  I'm a desktop person and the only mobile device I have is a pay-as-you-go cell phone that I only use if our land line is chopped by the road grader or if I'm working under the car and need to call 911 in case the car falls on me  Cheesy.   
I've noticed that my surfing  speed is faster than when I was using Pardus 2011,  with KDE and pim and all of its servers and services that I will never use.  In spite of turning them off,   I used to think of Microsoft as bloated, but I'm beginning to say that under my breath about KDE. 
At least I have a choice, and can use Pardus 2009.2.  The over-all look of this version is very nice!  Yep, they should be proud of this version!
Lisa Marie
John A
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:30:32 AM »

My favourite Pardus version was 2008.2 with the old KDE desktop. Smiley Pardus 2009 was a disaster, very small repository compared to 2008.2 and had a serious bug that disconected many from internet including myself after the first update package. This guy used Pardus 2009 at the time:

http://translate.google.se/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpavel.frimix.se%2F

He get tired of it (the network bug) then and changed to Ubuntu. And I myself almost abanded Pardus for good to. But a lot of issues was fixed to 2009.1 and 2009.2 was even better. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:49:13 AM by John A » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »

Linux have been declaring victory over Microsoft on my desktop and laptop computers for thirteen years Wink

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 19:11:23 PM »

Thanks John A for your thoughts, and PhiX, too!   

From reading that article, it appears Microsoft is declaring victory mainly because of Word.  I don't know anyone that has purchased that "extra", well, maybe my brother-in-law.  One day I will be free of XP when I get a new scanner as the one I have only works in Windows. 

Looks like for now, I am pleased with KDE 4.4.4 and 4.4.5 (using latter version in a ubuntu knock-off).  I was looking in devel to see if they had 4.7 yet, but I have my doubts that moving forward will be better for my particular set up. 
Lisa Marie
owiknowi
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 07:27:52 AM »

didn't know there was a 'battle' going on between penguins and those fancy colored flags?
microsovt probably doesn't quite get the whole idea behind open source & free software, nor about open formats for that matter...

btw. looks to me microsovt needs a new motto for their 'moloch', something like:
"we can't deliver quality for your money, but we make sure we're the only one you can buy it from!"  Grin
DavidD
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 18:49:19 PM »

In a news report here in the U.S. about an hour ago there was a segment on the "big 4" in tech, a story generated by Google's purchase of a major piece of Motorola, a legendary corporate name in technology products like televisions, radios. Named as the "big 4" were Apple, Google, Facebook, and Amazon. I waited expectantly for mention of Micro$oft to no avail. Not a word. Nada.

Wow! I'm a veteran of the Micro$oft OS/2 wars of the 1990s. To me the silence is deafening.

"The most tragic pathologies we've experienced in human history result from the catastrophic way we deal with otherness." - D. Gordis
Kranthi
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 05:41:00 AM »

Let them declare, what's going to change for us? Nothing i guess.

The Cube
John A
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 15:01:11 PM »

Ok, I am back.

I have dealing with my new Windows 7  PC now. I think I have spend a working day just with the updates. Removing try out programs (like Symantec/Norton antivirus) etc..
And replace them with free programs.

I have forgott how much work it was with Windows. Wink

I will try to contribute here with some ideas, Linux and other computer related articles and so on.
And I suppose I will install Pardus in a PC again soner or later.

Edit:

One of the reason I still must using Windows are the Bank_ID/E legitimation issue here:
http://support.bankid.com/sv/supportbankidcom/Mitt-BankID-fungerar-inte/Systemkrav/
http://www.bankid.com/en/What-is-BankID/

I hope maybe one day the will create a platform independet solution.

Here is a interesting article about it. I translated it with Google:
http://translate.google.se/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsv.wikinews.org%2Fwiki%2FBankID_drar_in_st%25C3%25B6d_f%25C3%25B6r_GNU%2FLinux_-_kunder_blir_utan_e-legitimation

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 15:21:47 PM by John A » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 15:23:32 PM »

Ok, I am back.
What happened Huh?

My bank is OS independent with the Card Reader.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 15:37:55 PM by atolboo » Logged
John A
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 15:28:21 PM »

I deleted my account (beacause I have no Pardus installation in any PC now).
Got a Ubuntu 11.04 PC in another place, it works with the HP printer but not Pardus 2011.1
It's some bug reports of that model:

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=LaserJet+P1005
Anyway some members here ask me to come back.

So I will try to write here from time to time if I got some Linux related issues to write about. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 15:32:09 PM by John A » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 16:07:27 PM »

hi john a,

that is good news!  Grin

over here in holland we had similar troubles, especially with banking and other official sites. after some serious debate on a political level, here and in the eu parliament, they decided that citizens can't be forced to use commercial software unless governments provide it to them for free.

so now i'm able to do most of all the official stuff from linux using both firefox and konqueror. within the latter one can easily change the browser identification under menu to e.g. explorer.

some stupid things won't work, nor with wine, like my logitech one. and that's really stupid since it uses a web database to do so. asked logitech politely to port it to linux, but to no avail. nor some multimedia websites with tv broadcasts work like they should.  Angry
the best i can do is write those firms with a cc to politicians or ask advice over here

and what about my precious hp dv6...

so, i've been on the brink of using microsovt again too, but the penguins won't let me... Grin

looking forward to your contributions again, john a.

regards, owiknowi
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 16:09:54 PM by owiknowi » Logged
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 17:31:03 PM »

Ok, I am back.
Welcome back!

Here in the USA, the browser is the key to the banks.  Firefox has been a standard for a long time.  However, each bank does its own thing in its own way when it comes to security on its site.
John A
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 18:28:07 PM »

The only reason I not bought a Apple/Mac are they are just to expensive. If Jobs have released it to other manufactors I think they could beat Microsoft.

They lost the computer wars for many years ago:
http://lowendmac.com/ed/fox/08ff/apple-microsoft-new-war.html

But they seems to do the same mistake nowadays as back then.

Windows 7 are just not so special, still Windows 95 in most aspects but with a more modern look:

If they not make Windows 8 more attractive and modern for homeusers I think Microsoft be in trouble. Smiley
From a Swedish article I translated:

"With the new Windows 7, Microsoft promises enhanced user-friendliness. Metro Technology asked Anna Swartling, researchers of human-computer interaction at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), to test the operating system.
- It's no revolution, which may also be an advantage because many will recognize themselves, she says.

With Windows 7, Microsoft wants to repair the shortcomings of yelled at in its predecessor Windows Vista.
- Appearance is the classic Windows style, though some ice cream. Windows main problem is security, strength and all the crashes, says Anna Swartling.

Soon after, hang a window on the screen and Swartling forced to shut down the process using Task Manager.
- This is very problem on a fairly elementary level, and it's not the first thing you want to see when testing a new operating system.

A number of new features be under Microsoft Windows 7 give users a seamless existence. Among other things, an improved search function, quick lists of frequently used documents and the possibility of a musskakning sort window.
- Sure, it will help, but this one had been able to think out ten years ago, says Anna Swartling."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 18:58:34 PM by John A » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: