Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 00:49:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Pardus-a paradise for Wacom users.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus-a paradise for Wacom users.  (Read 2090 times)
Jagdeesh

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2011, 19:57:42 PM »

Hi all,
I was to post regarding Pardus 2011.1 at various places possible. But being new to Pardus, I don't want to do any injustice due lack of my knowledge... Hence at last decided to post a link to this post at different places . I request the seniors to check the correctness of the information below and insist corrections and necessary additions. This way I need not correct the information posted by me at different places and the visitors too will have advantages of experts and  authentic  persons' remarks.

Thanking you all.
With regards.
-Jagdeesh.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Short introduction to Pardus 2011.1

I am very impressed by Pardus 2011.1 in which  my pen tablet 'Wacom Bamboo CTH-460' worked out of the box. The screen-shots are available in my Picasa public web album at
https://picasaweb.google.com/jldeshpande/WacomInPardus20111?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Below is a short introduction of Pardus 2011.1 and my first impression about it.

1)Pardus 2011.1 is a free Linux operating system  funded and developed by the Scientific & Technological Research Council of Turkey.

2)It is available in 32 & 64 bits  'Live' and 'Install DVD' form at   http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/download/

The 'Live DVD' does not have install option,it is just to have a feel before installation. To install,you need to download the 'Install DVD' iso again.
(A corporate version with kde 3.5 is also available,but this information does not apply to it,it is regarding the usual desktop version. In desktop version,other DEs like gnome,xfce etc.are  available.)

3)Almost every year a new  desktop version is released and each version is supported for 2 years or slightly more than 2 years. It is upgradeable,no fresh install necessary. Presently they are working to give an upgrade option for pardus 2009.2 users to upgrade to 2011.1. For released  versions, supported languages and reviews, pl.visit
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pardus

4)The KDE  is not updated every month,but only after  every @ 6 months. So no need to worry about the latest and greatest bugs and workarounds! One can have a reasonably latest but  consistent desktop experience to concentrate on learning and working.

5)It is said that Pardus has very sparse repository,but if you get what you need ,it should not be a problem. (also see Sr No 6 below).
     As in Aug  2011, the  available repositories are mentioned at  ( exclude the last portion 'pisi-index.xml.xz' from the url to get the package list)
     http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3478.msg18496#msg18496

6)A very important point is that the requested packages are added by the team very quickly.
   My experience is that the requested 'darktable' was added on the next day itself! Besides that 'rawtherapee' was added only a day after that without asking for! Secondly when I downloaded 'gmic_gimp' plugin from sourceforge.net  and faced difficulty in making it to run, it was added on the same day to the community repository named 'pardususer' and I successfully could use that.
For details refer
http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=4026.new;topicseen#new
http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=4025.new;topicseen#new
Exceptions can always be there, e.g.
'shutter ' is not added  because they have 'kaption' in the repository, which has less features but very easy to use and gives highly finished results. 'wine' is not ready for 64 bit versions yet.

7)Availability of delta updates reducing download size.

So what are you waiting for? If it fulfills your requirement, simply grab it and enjoy!!!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 18:32:50 PM by Jagdeesh » Logged
SW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 21:29:56 PM »

Thanks for that nice report!

A little correction: since 11th of july wine is also available in 64bit repo.  Wink
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 22:54:28 PM »

3)Every year a new  desktop version is released and each version is supported for 2 years or slightly more than 2 years.
Where ist his ^^^ info coming from Huh?
I don't think this is valid for "A corporate version with kde 3.5 is also available.".
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:45:10 PM »

Do you use the netbook or desktop version of KDE on you tablet??  Wink I'm asking this because, i want to buy an netbook or tablet myself  Grin
Jagdeesh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 14:05:47 PM »

Thanks for that nice report!

A little correction: since 11th of july wine is also available in 64bit repo.  Wink

Thanks for your helping hand.
Scratched the sentence.

-Jagdeesh.
Jagdeesh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 14:37:47 PM »

3)Every year a new  desktop version is released and each version is supported for 2 years or slightly more than 2 years.
Yes this is incorrect,that's why I posted the matter here Wink. I searched but could not find easily the release cycle and period for which a version is supported.
 Can anybody enlighten me/us?
I don't think this is valid for "A corporate version with kde 3.5 is also available.".
Added line in my post to make it clear.
Thanks to all for the suggestions, this way the authentic info will reach the people.

-Jagdeesh.
Jagdeesh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 18:28:58 PM »

3)Every year a new  desktop version is released and each version is supported for 2 years or slightly more than 2 years.

Simple......that's what, I think, people want! Grin
Any how, corrected to factual , scratched words regarding 'supported period' and added
For released  versions, supported languages and reviews, pl.visit
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pardus
Regards.

-Jagdeesh.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 18:39:06 PM by Jagdeesh » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: