Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 11:02:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  replacement for itunes (ipod)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: replacement for itunes (ipod)  (Read 1548 times)
owiknowi
« on: September 19, 2011, 16:35:12 PM »

just for the sheer size of it -120gb- i have an ipod. connecting it to p2011.1 and it shows up as an usb device.
now, apple uses -of course- a rather strange way of storing music on the thing.

two questions:
1. can i just copy a folder named 'artist' containing music files, to the directory 'music'? and will the ipod then play it when i select it?
2. or do i actual need an equivalent of their software?

nice thing with an old cowon iaudio was that it not only played .ogg and .flac, but also was very flexible with where and how music was stored (didn't need no tags, just artist & file names. was so happy back then...  :'(
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 21:24:45 PM »

Hi owiknowi,
You know me, I can't answer your questions... Wink
but that reminds me of how confused I was at how my iMac Tiger stored pictures in their photo management software.  It was very complicated and just didn't make sense to me. 
Lisa Marie
owiknowi
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 04:58:02 AM »

hi lisa marie,

thanks for your reaction because i didn't know if it was just me or them apples who are strange with file storage...
that once again shows how important open formats and open source are: one has to be able to use files in a understandable way, independent of greedy hard- or software manufacturers.

probably just some sort of 'marketing tool', like the open document format from mikrosovt. keeps customers dependent of a brand... Roll Eyes

but anyway, good to read something from you again! still tinkering with pardus? or still busy harvesting and keeping the partying frogs down?  Grin
read from a friend, also living on your side of the atlantic, that you had some pretty rough weather over there, due to irene? hope you didn' t suffer too much though!

till next time!

p.s. ry cooder sang about irene some time ago Wink
Mark
Pardus fellow craft

Hobbies: computers, gardening, travel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 14:50:56 PM »

Thanks for your kind words wrt Irene. Luckily Arkansas was not in Irene's path. Unfortunately for Arkansas though, I think they are in the midst of a serious drought.  Or am I wrong?

I am no help with iPod issues either, unfortunately.

Kranthi
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 21:17:27 PM »

You can use amarok to load songs into your ipod.
I think Drag and drop into your device in amarok will do.
But, Clementine, being a cousin of amarok(??) does not recognise.
Rhythmbox is a very good alternative to itunes i heard
You might have to load some other libraries related to ipod.
Search in the repos for "ipod" and you will get some libraries.
I hope there's no harm in trying all of them at once.

The Cube
owiknowi
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 10:38:07 AM »

@kranthi
thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.

been tinkering somewhat with amarok and it recognizes the ipod. next thing to do is copy music to it... Undecided
will also give rhythmbox a go.
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:23:04 AM »

Hey,

I don't have an Ipod, but I thik you really want to check out Songbird.
I've heard that it has an addon ( i don't know if its installed by standard), that can sync your music to your Ipod.
Also this addon was needed when you used songbird V1.1. on this moment we've reached songbird v 1.9 so maby this addon isn't necessary anymore. V1.8 is aviable in pisi, so maybe you can give this a try  Wink

Greetings,
Tristan
owiknowi
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 11:48:37 AM »

thanks tristan, wil give songbird a try as well.
either way, it's about synchronizing with them stupid apples. one has to have a dedicated music folder/server which is watched -as a service of course- for changes.
the music on the ipod is stored in a rather complicated fashion (only for our benefit, of course). amarok can read this structure and i'm curious about songbird!

so i'll probably make one external music storage on an external hdd and synchronize while i'm offline. pitty, though that cowon doesn't make thier terrific >=20gb music players anymore (with .ogg and .flac support and drag 'n drop, included, yes sir)  Grin
weird_tr
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »

true  Grin and i've heard that, for example, if me and my girlfriend would have an iPod (this is never gonna happen though :p). So my iPod would be loaded with all my rock music that is stored on my PC(iTunes). So on one day or another, i'm gonna visit her with my iPod in my pocket. Her PC(also iTunes) would be loaded fully with R&B. Of course I want to listen to her music to, so I connect my iPod to her PC, with the intention to just copy ONE song from her iTunes collection, to my iPod. But what happens instead, is that all my Rock music gets 'overwritten' by all her R&B songs. this happens because, she syncs her library of R&B songs on my IPod, and because, my Rock music isn't there in her library, it gets removed from my iPod  Shocked
I don't know if its entirely true, I just heard this story from a friend  Tongue

Greetings
John A
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 13:58:23 PM »

About Songbird:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/songbird-leaving-linux-behind

It's not a good alternative for Linux anymore.

But there is other options:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-linux-music-players-replace-songbird/
http://blog.testfreaks.com/information/10-linux-alternatives-songbird/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 14:03:17 PM by John A » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 14:29:14 PM »

About Songbird:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/songbird-leaving-linux-behind
It's not a good alternative for Linux anymore.

thanks john a, very useful info! at the moment i'm trying amarok, and it's able ro read out the ipod data structure.
next thing is to make a dedicated music folder for the ipod from which it can synchronize its content in order to add music.

this is an truly good example why i loath closed source stuff, either hardware or software: one becomes dependent of its manufacturer and all restrictions they see fit.

some folks don't seem to care, or so they think, but i guess they never actual read an eula nor do know what drm is, storage of ones ip-address, and maybe the worst of them all, the abuse of ones personal data (see e.g. some webmail accounts).

as i wrote before, i only bought them rotten apples because of their storage capacity (120gb). i rather would have bought a cowon again with its drag & drop and ability to play open formats like .ogg and flac.

so all in all, i'm pretty unhappy with them apples (the cd player in my car has an special apple connector, though! talking about twisted marketing).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 17:11:28 PM by owiknowi » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: