Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 06:39:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  [SOLVED] Lost NetworkManager applet and net is not working
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Lost NetworkManager applet and net is not working  (Read 1507 times)
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2011, 04:59:25 AM »

Hi,

I had installed E17 edition and while removing unwanted pkgs happened to remove ppp which had a dependency with NetworkManager. Subsequently after my machine reboot, internet stopped working. Tried to install with pkg manager but even that complained about net not working.

Is there anyway i can get NetworkManager or wicd pisi and will it work if i install either of those? I don't want to reinstall Pardus all over again.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:41:50 AM by Murali » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:32:15 AM »

are you using pardus 2011.2?

don't really know if any of these options will actually help, but it's worth a try?

opt. 1. maybe you can add the installation dvd to the repositories in package manager (just tried it myself, without success)?

opt. 2. boot your installation, insert the installation dvd, which has mistakenly as volume id 'parduslive', open it with file manager and go to /media/parduslive/repo/ and search for the missing pisi package?

booting from the installation dvd and choose 'rescue system' gives you just two options: reinstall bootloader or reset forgotten password. so that option isn't any good here, afaik.

due to all kinds of dependencies i'm afraid it's rather difficult to install packages by hand, although it can be done with proper packaged pisi packages.

probably there are some other options which i'm not aware of. so you might also want to take a look here:http://forum.pardususer.de/
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »

I had installed E17 edition ....
What do you mean by "E17 edition" Huh?
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 13:24:31 PM »

@owiknowi - will try your suggestions and see how it goes, Thanks.

@atolboo - I meant E17 window manager, had a choice of XFCE and E-17 and i chose E-17.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 15:23:30 PM »

@atolboo - I meant E17 window manager, had a choice of XFCE and E-17 and i chose E-17.
This means it's not a regular installation as it doesn't have the KDE Desktop.
If the above ^^^ is true, it may be possible that some of the missing packages (or certain versions) are not available from a DVD-iso. Wink
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:44:31 AM »

No, actually it did exist, however when i was cleaning up unwanted packages which i usually do to reduce clutter/save disk space it removed Network Manager as well. I think it did notify that it's being removed however i didn't pay much attention towards it and neither did i realise i didn't have wicd or any other package as backup  Sad
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:40:59 AM »

@owiknowi - You really saved me. Was able to get Network manager from live cd and things are working ok now. Though it's surprising i had to install ModemManager and ppp as dependency. Dependencies in Linux really surprises me at times, not sure if i do need those packages at all, as i was able to remove both of them in another distro without having any issue.
owiknowi
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »

glad to been able to help you out, couldn't have done it without everything i've learned at pardus and other linux forums  Smiley

on dependencies i can only say that, often for hardware architectural reasons, some packages can't do without each other.
often applications are the ones that bloat an os (office, etc.)

maybe this is interesting for you too: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:55:29 PM by owiknowi » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »

As far as I know I do not get a choice of "KDE or XFCE or E-17" when I do a a regular installation.

often applications are the ones that bloat an os (office, etc.)
I have a different opinion.
I use LibreOffice now and that's the reason it's not a bloat for the OS (Pardus) I use. Grin
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 13:36:20 PM »

owiknowi: Thanks for the link, yes have heard about LFS never tried it out. Reason i found the dependencies strange is because different distros have different dependencies, so in a certain distro some of the packages can be removed without bringing anything down, while in another distro the same would create a lot of mess. Anyway it's fine for now :-)

atolboo: I had installed from COMAK-i686-[kozdincer].iso which had XFCE and E-17. http://comak.comu.edu.tr/kozdincer/
It says 2011.2 on bootup as well as in Smolt, so hopefully it is the latest similar to the one that got released few weeks back.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 15:47:22 PM »

I had installed from COMAK-i686-[kozdincer].iso ......
Thanks and this ^^^ explains everything Wink
owiknowi
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »

please do enlighten me: what is COMAK-x86_64-[kozdincer].iso? at first glance it looks like a sort of test version of pardus?

and a tip to slim down your system a bit: install bleachbit. use it with care though because it deletes a lot  Grin
on a test installation, after removing applications i didn't want (none with essential dependencies) i still could free up to about 300mb (localizations, logs, and so on, using it as root).

so the 64-bits system was trimmed down to about 4gb (i use a separate system (/) partition and separate /home partition).
probably a 32-bits system would still be a bit smaller due to the absence of extra libraries. in a 64 bit system there are often extra 32-bit libraries present for 'older' applications.

you can install bleachbit from the german repository (add as new repository to the package manager):
http://pakete.pardususer.de/pardus-2011/i686/pisi-index.xml.xz.
but again: only use it when you don't mind to mess things up a bit...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:56:56 AM by owiknowi » Logged
Murali
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 01:09:55 AM »

I am not sure if it's test version, maybe just another edition featuring XFCE & E-17. Regardless, it seems to work well until now Smiley so no complaints.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: