Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 02:13:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Download/Repos
| | |-+  software visible
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: software visible  (Read 1995 times)
owiknowi
« on: October 04, 2011, 17:21:16 PM »

when using, the during install by default created user account, with administrative privileges, there are more packages visible in pisi then when starting pisi with a new created user account, also given administrative privileges?

what am i doing wrong here? it keeps amazing me how little i know... Huh?
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 18:44:21 PM »

Hi owiknowi,

I don't know.

A bit ago I installed 2011.2 after getting the disc in the post.  This time, I decided to install with user not being part of wheel group (administrative privileges) .  Will let you know if I find anything strange with this setup.  I would assume most people here give initial user administrative privileges.
Lisa Marie
owiknowi
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 18:54:53 PM »

hi lisa marie,

i install the default admin account for doing root related things. the limited rights account i use especially for general daily use (internet, mail, office, a.s.o.)
just an extra security thingy i learned way back when i still had to use windos  Grin

but it's a bit strange when i give the limited account all administrative privileges too, it still differs from the during installation created 'admin' account. just curious...
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 19:30:58 PM »

Yes, that's how I have Windows XP setup, too, though I don't use it any longer to go online.

I'm going to try what you have done, mainly because I am finding I can't do anything with my user's current limited privileges, like I can't do a sudo pisi up.  If I type in the administrative root password, it keeps asking me for the password saying it is wrong, then three stikes I'm out.  Also, I can't use the run dialog (Alt + F2) as kdesu for it says that in some systems, you have to be a part of wheel group to use it.  That is fine for security reasons, as long as I know.  Now, to go and add another user and make one user to belong to wheel group.
Lisa Marie
owiknowi
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 20:02:38 PM »

just another tip during set-up, especially for when command line output is requested on the forum:
- name of the default created admin user: e.g. pardus20112_64
- computer name: brand and type: e.g. hpdv6-3195ed

this ha s two benefits:
1. they know the used os and computer
2. when asked for output i can just copy & paste, without having to edit usernames and such

oh, one more thing (very off topic), but i dare to put it by you: i may install pardus 2011.1 on a computer from a die hard windos user!
she saw my installation of pardus and said: wow, that's a nice os! and that's all free? and i may use that too? would you perhaps install that on my laptop too? and yes, of course i'll do it for free!

we're getting there in due time, for sure!    
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:06:20 AM »

owiknowi, I'm not understanding you about the two tips.  But this is the fun part of being from different parts of this wonderful world. or even if you were neighbour from down the road, I may still not understand.   Cheesy 
Did you mean, when giving commands, you do like this:
Code:
sudo pisi up
I am using Pardus 2011.2 for 64 bits.  My computer is Frankenstein, many parts put together from used parts and new parts with a P180 Antec case. 

That is good to hear.  I would think more women would like Pardus if they saw it over the shoulder of someone using it.  Overall appearance is very appealing.  I hope to see more Pardus cartoon work or characters, like PiSi cat, Kaptan, etc. as they are so cute!  Really!  Whoever did them did a great job!
Lisa Marie

Hmm, wondering why you see some software in package manager of one user and more software in the other user?  Maybe you have different repository listing, or the order they are listed in repository preferences is different.  That is the only thing I can think of.  I still haven't checked mine out yet.  Will let you know.  Time to turn off computer and close the hen house as it is dark out.
Lisa Marie
Later that evening.  Computer back on.  Earlier this afternoon I added testing to repos, and assumed there would be updates.  None.  I realized I have to go to
Package manager>Settings>Configure> Repositories> and moved testing to top.  Now there are updates.  Maybe this is the case for you?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:20:19 AM by Lisa » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 07:36:53 AM »

@lisa marie

sorry for not being clear. it's about giving the computer and the default created user account, names that say something about the used operating system and computer.

when i start a command line, using the admin account, i'll get this for starters:

pardus20112_64@hpdv6-3185ed ~ $

this way one can see, besides the output of the given command, which os (pardus20112_64, the name i gave the initial user during set up), and on what kind of computer (hpdv6-3185ed, the name i gave the computer) are being being used.
it just provides some extra useful information.  Wink

p.s. even on a 'frankenstein' (  Grin ) you could give the computer the name of the used processor (intel/amd and type).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:03:20 AM by owiknowi » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 07:41:48 AM »

on the repositories: i made sure they are the same and in the same order. so i'll tinker with that a bit more later on.
it's not a big problem since i install everything using the admin account.  Grin
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 16:30:26 PM »

Gotcha!  Hey, that is a good tip.  I'll do that.  So, mine would be pardus20112_64@athlon64_fx57

I'm now in my secondary user with no wheel group privileges and the package amounts are the same for the two users.  Will keep an eye on it. 
Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: