Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:40:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Installing Canon MF4150 printer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Installing Canon MF4150 printer  (Read 11244 times)
PTSWhite

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:54:17 AM »

Can anyone point me toward guidance on installing a Canon MF4150 multifunction laser printer in Pardus 2011.2. I've struck surfing eh web for solutions.  I've downloaded Linux drivers from Canon's website, and once extracted there are both DEB and RPM versions, but I'm at a loss as to how to install from there.

The printer configuration applet correctly identifies the printer as a Canon MF4100 series, but when I hit Next there are no drivers for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Steve
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 16:26:14 PM »

Hello PTSWhite,
Give the command in terminal:
Code:
dmesg

If you are seeing something very similar to the following:
Code:
usb 2-2: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usblp while 'usb' sets config #1
 you may want to try the suggestion here:
usblp bug cups

Also check the output in the Printer Configuration in the Printer Applet.  What does it show for Printer Description>Device URI:?
Again, when I did the blacklisted above and deleted usblp module, my device URI showed correctly for my Canon Pixma iP3000 printer and it got rid of that error in messages upon restart of computer.  After doing so, see if this finds your printer driver.
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 15:56:45 PM by Lisa » Logged
PTSWhite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 21:24:18 PM »

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the reply.  The results of the "dmesg" command do not look like what you describe.  Instead there was a rather lengthy reply.  Because I am as yet far from qualified to interpret those results I've attached them in the text  file dmesg_output_21OCT11_1130.

When running New Printer in the printer applet a dialog box appears (see attached NewPrinterSnapshot_21OCT11_1146.jpg).  The fields are populated as follows:

Canon MF4100 Series -- Description -- A printer connected to a USB port.

Canon MF4100 Series (FAX) -- Description -- A printer connected to a USB port.

Serial Port #1 -- Enter device URI -- <Blank field>

AppSocket/HP JetDirect -- Location of the Network Printer -- Host: -- <Blank field> Port number: 9100

Internet Printing Protocol (https) -- Enter device URI -- https

Internet Printing Protocol (ipp) -- IPP Printer -- Host: <Blank field> -- Queue: /printers/ -- URI <Greyed out>

LPD/LPR Host or Printer -- Location of the LPD network printer -- Host: localhost -- Queue <blank field>

Windows Printer via SAMBA -- SMB Printer -- smb:// <Blank field> -- smb://[workgroup/]server[:port]/printer -- Authentication -- <Radio button checked> Prompt user if authentication is required -- <Radio button unchecked> Set authentication details now -- <Greyed out fields -- Username, Password, Verify>

Other -- Enter Device URI -- <Blank field>

When I select "Forward" from the "Canon MF4100 Series -- Description -- A printer connected to a USB port window" I get a list of printer makes.  Choosing Canon, I get a list of Canon models, but none are in the MF series (your Pixma is, though).

I wonder if I can get away with choosing an ImageRunner of the same vintage as the MF4150?  Might they share the same UFRII driver?

Thanks again,

-Steve

* NewPrinterSnapshot_21OCT11_1146.jpg (40.8 KB, 743x628 - viewed 215 times.)
PTSWhite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 21:26:23 PM »

Oops! The text file didn't make it here it is with just a tweak in the file name.

* dmesg_output_21OCT11_1133.txt (64.29 KB - downloaded 123 times.)
SW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 21:49:05 PM »

Welcome to Pardus!

Unfortunately Canon is providing driver for Linux, but it is often not very comfortable to get used to.

Im not sure if it will work, but try this:
Have a look: http://de.software.canon-europe.com/software/0040355.asp
*Download this: http://files.canon-europe.com/files/soft40355/software/o1113enx_l_ufr220.zip
*Unzip downloaded file.

Choose 32- or 64 bit folder and seperate files in RPM folder
install rpm2targz (type in terminal):   sudo pisi install rpm2targz
After that navigate to the folder with RPM files and do the following commands:
rpm2targz cndrvcups-common-2.20-1.XXXXXX.rpm
rpm2targz cndrvcups-ufr2-uk-2.20-1.XXXXX.rpm
(replace XXXX with the correct information)
Now You will find the same files but the extension changed into "targz"

Now You can unzip the files and after that move the files into Your filesystem.
After that You installed the Canon driver manually and somehow it should work after that.

But I give You no warranty!  Good luck   Wink

PTSWhite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 03:02:39 AM »

I've executed the rpm2targz on the two RPM files.  This yielded two folders.  They are:

etc, with subfolders
       cngplp
usr, with subfolders
       bin
       include
       lib
       local

Please pardon my noobness, but to what directories do I copy these.  My best guess is that it would be their counterparts in the Root directory, but Dolphin won't allow me to copy them and won't start with root access from the command line (with a "sudo dolphin" command that is).  I've trying to execute the copies from the command line, but I'm just not getting it right.

SW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 10:37:20 AM »

Yes, simply move the folders including all subfolders into the main directory ( / ).

To do that start dolphin with the following command: xdg-su -c dolphin
You can also start a dolphin window by right click to a folder -> admin actions -> open folder
After that a new dolphin window will appear with root rights.

So You did manually what RPM packagemanagement will do with one mouseclick. After that You should have the canon driver on Your system. It should change something in the meaning of functionality.

Cross my fingers!   Smiley
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 16:51:41 PM »

Hi again,

Yes, great to see that dmesg output. Thanks for sharing it. I forgot to mention to look way towards the bottom of the output.

Yes, I did look to see if there was your printer model in the Canon list, but nope.  I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the imagerunner thing, and yes, I'm a newbie, too.

You might need to do two things, install the Canon printer yourself and do the suggestion that is in that CUPS usblp bug link.  I would do the bug fix first, as I see in your dmesg output the following errors:

Code:
[24468.666020] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'skanlite' sets config #1
[24471.620272] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'skanlite' sets config #1
[24472.688139] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'skanlite' sets config #1
[25194.743633] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'usb' sets config #1
[25194.743712] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'usb' sets config #1

To do the CUPS bug fix you would need to do the following:
Click on these two keyboard keys:
Alt + F2
This will bring up runner at top of monitor
In the field enter
Code:
kdesu kwrite /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
enter your root admninistrator password,
which will bring up blacklist.conf file in kwrite text editor.  Scroll to bottom past the last entry, which for my file is
blacklist amd76x_edac
put two line spaces between this last entry and add
Code:
blacklist usblp
Save and close this text file.
Then open a terminal and
Code:
sudo rmmod usblp
enter password
Restart your computer. 
Once you are logged in, open terminal again and do:
Code:
dmesg
and page down towards bottom to see if those  "claimed by usblp while 'usb' " errors are gone. 
Then check the Printer Configuration again and see what is output for device uri.  If it is still blank, then you will need to compile the printer driver tar file.  I have chosen other drivers for my Pixma iP3000 before.  This was back before Gutenprint had a driver for my printer.  I would instead choose a BJC7004 driver which worked fairly well, though wasn't made for my model.  I guess that is what you are asking about the ImageRunner question.  If you think another driver will work, sometimes it is easier to try it then to try and compile a printer driver yourself.  But folks here will help you do that and also will correct me if I give bad help, as I say, I am new at this, too.
Regards, Lisa Marie
PTSWhite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 22:38:51 PM »

Thank you both, SW and Lisa!  I've executed all the steps you describe.  Lisa, I managed to get rid of the usblp error messages.  SW, I was able to drag the new folders into the root directory, and drag the contents of the existing folders (usr, lib, etc.) into their counterparts in the root directory.

The Printer Configuration applet recognized the MF41500 series as before, but there are still no MF4100 series (or anything similar) in the Canon drivers section in the New Printer listing.

Does anyone have any ideas where to go from here?

Steve

PS: Just to let you know, my impatience got the better of me, so I tried moving the files from the command line yesterday.  That didn't work, but soon thereafter I started moving some JPG files onto a USB stick and KDE suddenly when black.  Had to do a hard shut down. After that Pardus would only boot to the command line.  Attempts to start KDE from there failed, as did attempts to fix things with the Live and Installation DVDs.  Long story short, I reinstalled Pardus.  Thus the above attempts to get the printer working are on a brand new, squeaky clean install.  <sigh>
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 23:07:33 PM »

Sorry to hear about the crash.  I've only recently learned about the terminal command to move files "mv".  
You can play around with the command.  Open kwrite, type a few bits in it, then save it as, say, transport, or whatever you like.  Save it to your Downloads folder.  Then open terminal and enter;
Code:
cd Downloads
cd command will change to directory Downloads.
Then
Code:
mv transport ~/Documents
Sorry if you already know this, but I am assuming you do not.  If you then go to the folder Documents, you will see your moved file called transport.  
The tilde symbol in front of /Documents means you don't have to enter /Home/me/Documents.  Something like that.  Cheesy Like shorthand.

I often open up Dolphin file manager as root.  Dangerous, but I know I can reinstall if I have to.  The best way is to open up the run dialog by clicking on those two keys again:
Alt + F2
and enter "kdesu dolphin"
then enter root password.
Be careful.  Wink  and make sure to close Dolphin after you are through.  
If I have time later, I will try and play with that Canon driver rpm file.  I had no idea one could download RPM's and change them to tar files.  Learned something new.
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 15:57:58 PM by Lisa » Logged
PTSWhite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 00:18:18 AM »

Well, just when I thought I was getting somewhere, I'm stymied again.

Everything seems to have installed properly, but nothing prints.  Every test printer or document I send apparently is logged by the system somehow because the test pages produce a message "Test Page submitted as job 10" (For the last one. I've tried seven test pages and three documents).

Device URI is: usb://Canon/MF4100%20Series?serial=SDF690313517B&interface=1

What next?

-Steve

SW
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 00:25:33 AM »

Sorry I´m out of ideas.

Personally I don´t like Canon in combination with Linux and I love my HP6500 all in one printer.
After installation of HPLIP Scanner and Printer works fine without problems.

Edit:
I found package for Arch and maybe You can try following ->
open terminal with root rights, navigate to /usr/lib/ and give following commands

ln -sf libcanonufr2.so.1.0.0  liblibcanonufr2.so.1
ln -sf libcanonufr2.so.1.0.0  libcanonufr2.so
ln -sf libufr2filter.so.1.0.0 libufr2filter.so.1
ln -sf libufr2filter.so.1.0.0  libufr2filter.so
ln -sf libEnoJBIG.so.1.0.0   libEnoJBIG.so.1
ln -sf libEnoJBIG.so.1.0.0   libEnoJBIG.so
ln -sf libcaiocnpkbidi.so.1.0.0   libcaiocnpkbidi.so.1
ln -sf libcaiocnpkbidi.so.1.0.0   libcaiocnpkbidi.so

ln -sf libc3pl.so.0.0.1 libc3pl.so.0
    ln -sf libc3pl.so.0.0.1 libc3pl.so
    ln -sf libcnaccm.so.1.0 libcnaccm.so.1
    ln -sf libcnaccm.so.1.0 libcnaccm.so
    ln -sf libcaepcm.so.1.0 libcaepcm.so.1
    ln -sf libcaepcm.so.1.0 libcaepcm.so
    ln -sf libcnlbcm.so.1.0 libcnlbcm.so.1
    ln -sf libcnlbcm.so.1.0 libcnlbcm.so
    ln -sf libcaiowrap.so.1.0.0 libcaiowrap.so.1
    ln -sf libcaiowrap.so.1.0.0 libcaiowrap.so
    ln -sf libcaiousb.so.1.0.0 libcaiousb.so.1
    ln -sf libcaiousb.so.1.0.0 libcaiousb.so
    ln -sf libcanonc3pl.so.1.0.0 libcanonc3pl.so.1
    ln -sf libcanonc3pl.so.1.0.0 libcanonc3pl.so
    ln -sf libcanon_slim.so.1.0.0 libcanon_slim.so.1
    ln -sf libcanon_slim.so.1.0.0 libcanon_slim.so

PTSWhite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 01:33:32 AM »

Victory!

MF4150 is now working.  Lisa and SW, I owe you both . . . big time!

In executing the commands in SW's last post I found that the last couple of files did not get copied over.  Took care of that and finished running SW's commands and voila . . . I gots me a printer!

Thanks again!

-Steve
SW
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 01:48:42 AM »

Cool! 
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 01:50:59 AM »

Glad to hear it Steve!  And good job from SW!!!  SW's help is probably what did it.  
That usblp error can cause problems with certain printers.  I have the error still in dmesg as I have gone back to origninal blacklist.conf file and my iP3000 is still detected and prints fine.  

When my PIXMA dies I will certainly be looking into that printer that SW shared a photo of.  My husband also has a used HP all in one printer and scanner  that uses parallel port and it too works fine in Linux.
Regards, Lisa Marie
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: