Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 18:29:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  Mark from Maine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark from Maine  (Read 1127 times)
Mark
Pardus fellow craft

Hobbies: computers, gardening, travel

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2011, 14:34:55 PM »

So far, of all the most recent Linux distros, Pardus is the only one that both installs properly AND provides easy access to the lates video drivers, etc..for my Asus K53 AMD A6. None of the most recent Buntus and derivatives work at all..I just get black screen when trying to boot into them.

owiknowi
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 16:13:41 PM »

hi mark from maine,

that makes at least two of us: i only can get pardus to work on some of my (newer) computers.
and when i found this forum, i was kinda stuck Wink

so, welcome and never hesitate to ask anything (there are some very skilled people around here!)

regards,
owiknowi (from holland)

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 16:25:50 PM »

Welcome here, Mark!  That is nice to know Pardus works for your particular hardware. I had to look up your notebook.  At first I thought you had written K6 and assumed old hardware, but that is an A6.  That would be an intel core i5 -2410M processor and nVidia GeForce 520M GT.  That is all fairly new.  Impressive.
Lisa Marie
Mark
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 17:22:43 PM »

Actually, the A6-3400 is the new AMD Llano Fusion cpu. My laptop has the Fusion quadcore CPU with Radeon mobile GPU built onto the CPU, plus a dedicated mobile GPU wth 1 gig RAM. Apparently  either xorg or Linux 3.x kernel has issues with the dual core and the screen is just black on boot. Pardus is one of the few distros that didn't have that problem AND was dead easy to install the 11.8 Catalyst driver, once it was put in the regular repository.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 17:30:03 PM by Mark » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 20:01:50 PM »

A big oops.  I got it all wrong.  Shocked
This is what I was looking at.  It's been many a year since I looked at a new computer, so these CPU's are very new to me as the computer  world seems to run at super fast speed.  Wink
Lisa Marie
Mark
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 21:45:00 PM »

No worries Lisa...easy to do since most of the Asus notebooks are indeed Intel based.

I finally got XFCE properly installed and tossed Cairo in to boot!  XFCE is soo much faster than KDE....haven't got package manager working yet tho.

Would like to get wobbly windows working in XFCE...Compiz needed, I think....

Just checked again...Package Manager seems to be working fine now.

Now to get LXDE, E17 and Gnome all working properly

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 21:46:49 PM by Mark » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 00:14:50 AM »

..... my Asus K53 AMD A6.
I guess it´s this Asus with these specifications   Huh?
Mark
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 02:12:28 AM »

That be the kit.
Mark
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 21:31:10 PM »

Just got the FGLRX 11.10 pushed to me. My system definitely feels smoother AND seems to be using fewer resources...dunno why that would be, but I'm not gonna complain!!!!

My startup sound is even sounding better...it's been crackly and poor sounding since day 1. Still not as good as other distros, but it's a minor thing.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: