Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 01:55:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Bluetoothd doesn't start well
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bluetoothd doesn't start well  (Read 4939 times)
pastis
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2011, 00:57:39 AM »

Hi guys!

There is something that is annoying me for a long time but that I never try to solve. I have some bluetooth earphones that are working perfectly under Pardus. The annoying thing is most of the time bluetooth is not starting well on my computer (asus EeePC 1018P-PU17).

In the beginning I was starting (stupidly I know) the computer untill it started well. Then I isolated the wrong process: bluetoothd. So now, when I want to use my earphones I enter in terminal: sudo killall bluetoothd and then sudo bluetoothd to turn it on again. It always works good.

So that's my question: is there a way to find what's wrong in the startup process explaining why bluetoothd is corrupt when starting? I am supposing it's starting because if I don't do the killall thing it doesn't work. So if anyone knows how to solve this it would be nice.

Also, though I am not using panels anymore, I remember the system tray was saying "no bluetooth adapter found", but then was working after restarting bluetoothd.

Thank you all.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 15:09:29 PM by nougah » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:53:49 AM »

first you could take a look in system settings at:
1. service manager (attachment 1)
2. start up and shutdown / service manager - section: startup services (attachment 2)

and there might be a hardware on/off switch on your eeepc?

* system_settings_service_manager.png (73.5 KB, 627x512 - viewed 254 times.)

* system_settings_service_manager2.png (125.79 KB, 692x655 - viewed 179 times.)
pastis
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 13:32:31 PM »

Hi Owiknowi,

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I already checked these settings, and everything is turned on. I gonna join also some printscreens, maybe the situation is going to be more clear:

The first one is the situation most of the time. The bluetoothd process is running but the devices window says no adapter is found.
I just to need to killall bluetooth and launch it again in terminal and instantly bluetooth is working perfectly (second screenshot). So I suppose for some reason the process is corrupt at startup. Also, sometimes is randomly working on startup without any action from me, but I'd say every 5 or 10 times.

Anyone? Thank you.

* bluetooth.png (58.94 KB, 766x511 - viewed 195 times.)

* bluetoothafter.png (78.92 KB, 829x488 - viewed 188 times.)
John A
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 14:59:49 PM »

I have no bluetooth thing myself. But there are some bluetooth packages in the repository.
One example:
http://blueman-project.org/

11 applications if write the word "Bluetooth" and search.

Have you tryed out some of them? There is some bug reports here to:
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bluetooth

If you want you can add your problems/comments (and include the screenshots) there or write a new report about the issue.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 15:06:17 PM by John A » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 15:18:32 PM »

my uneducated guess is bluetooth isn't loaded any longer because, one way or another, it's removed from the default hardware list from your pardus installation. first it worked just fine.
and if there's no hardware switch to turn it off/on it just doesn't seem to be present anymore.

maybe this guide can be of help?

p.s. it doesn't seem a pardus bug to me since it worked after installing pardus.
after you switched it back on, can you access the blutooth configuration tool in system / system settings / bluetooth?

pastis
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 02:39:01 AM »

Hi guys,

Thank you again for your help. I made some search and I checked my log. As I was thinking the problem is the bluetoothd process. Because I am no an advanced user, maybe some of you could help me with this. I find some similar problems in google, but the configuration files were not the same.

So that's the log when I start up regarding bluetoothd (bluetooth alone give no error at all):

10/30/11 01:55:06 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[672]   Bluetooth deamon 4.89
10/30/11 01:55:06 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[673]   Starting SDP server
10/30/11 01:55:08 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[673]   Listening for HCI events on hci0
10/30/11 01:55:08 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[673]   HCI dev 0 up
10/30/11 01:55:08 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[673]   Parsing /etc/bluetooth/serial.conf failed: No such file or directory
10/30/11 01:55:08 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[673]   input-headset driver probe failed for device 00:21:D1:41:D6:3D
10/30/11 01:55:08 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[673]   Adapter /org/bluez/672/hci0 has been enabled

So the two lines before last one seem problematic, and bluetooth is not working.

---
When I do my little trick to make bluetooth work (restart bluetoothd), that's what's happening:

sudo killall bluetoothd:

10/30/11 02:34:03 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[673]   Stopping hci0 event socket
10/30/11 02:34:03 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[673]   Stopping SDP server
10/30/11 02:34:03 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[673]   Exit

and then sudo bluetoothd:

10/30/11 02:34:06 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[1946]   Bluetooth deamon 4.89
10/30/11 02:34:06 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[1946]   Starting SDP server
10/30/11 02:34:06 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[1946]   Listening for HCI events on hci0
10/30/11 02:34:06 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[1946]   HCI dev 0 up
10/30/11 02:34:06 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[1946]   Parsing /etc/bluetooth/serial.conf failed: No such file or directory
10/30/11 02:34:06 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[1946]   input-headset driver probe failed for device 00:21:D1:41:D6:3D
10/30/11 02:34:06 AM   nougah   bluetoothd[1946]   Adapter /org/bluez/1946/hci0 has been enabled

As you see, the error is still there, but IT'S WORKING perfectly. What I noticed is the adapter enabled is NOT THE SAME, it's called /org/bluez/1946 instead 672,

So I think the parsing error is not such a big problem but maybe I should just change some file in the startup to call the right adaptor directly?

Just guessing, I'm not experienced at all with config files and terminal.

Thank you again for all your patience.

edit: just noticed the name of adapter changes everytime I restart it, so I really have no idea at all Smiley

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:51:41 AM by nougah » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »

alas, i'm afraid, as i wrote before, that some essential system files on your hardware are missing from your installation.
often the fastest way to get things running again, as they did after installing pardus, is install it again.

you also could ask about your problem on the german forum: http://forum.pardususer.de/

maybe a tricky workaround, mght be copying the content of the attached file from my /etc/bluetooth to your /etc/bluetooth/
these files come from a pardus 2011.2 us 32 bit installation on a pretty generic compal ntuc0.
-this is by far not the proper way to deal with problems like this, so use it at your own risk!-

but hopefully someone comes up with a more professional solution.

add. 14:14
please first try atolboo's advice

* bluetooth.zip (3.24 KB - downloaded 94 times.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 14:14:11 PM by owiknowi » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 11:58:29 AM »

Also try the next method to refresh all the installed packages which are somehow related to bluetooth.
Do a search in Package Manager with "bluetooth" and make a list of all installed (green marker) packages.
These packages can be downloaded and installed again with the command:
Code:
sudo pisi it package1 package2 .... --reinstall -y
This "--reinstall" is very important.
For a fresh install the command is:
Code:
sudo pisi it hal bluedevil bluez bluez-compat bluez-firmware bluez-libs libbluedevil obex-data-server --reinstall -y
But remember that this list ^^^ of packages may not be the same as your list.
(I also added hal as this one is also involved)
And maybe because of hal, a restart isn't a bad action Huh?

Furthermore I find "blueman" in Package Manager.
Maybe it can be of any help.

And about the service bluez:
There are the following commands"
service bluez status   << Autostart should be yes
service -help               << a list of all commands to start, stop, restart, etc.
pastis
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 16:07:52 PM »

Hi everybody,

I did the atolboo advice and reinstall all the bluetooth related packages, which were exactly the same in my configuration except the obex-data-server. That seemed to solve my problem, at least I restarted two times and the internal bluetooth adapter was recognized.

After a look to the system log, the two errors are still there even if it's working. So that's it guys, I suppose some files were corrupted as both of you suggested.

Thank you again for your help and time!
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 17:06:26 PM »

...... except the obex-data-server.
"pisi info obex-data-server" returns:
Description: obex-data-server is a D-Bus service to allow sending and receiving files using the ObexFTP and Obex Push protocols, common on mobile phones and other Bluetooth-equipped devices.
In my opinion, this is crucial Wink
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 02:50:39 AM »

Good to hear Bluetooth is working. Though I do not have any Bluetooth devices, I noticed after adding repository 'testing', to my repository list, that obex-data-server is now a dependency of the Bluetooth stack.  So, Pardus Team realized this, too.  Good work atolboo and Pardus Team in testing repo!

I must admit that I was trying to search for a fix for nougah's problem and only came up with hal or hal daemon (reading information that it is being phased out or deprecated in KDE 4.6.)  My suggestion was going to be to remove HAL.   Shocked
Reading the description of obex-data-server never crossed my mind that it would be needed for Bluetooth headphones, but assumed it was only needed for Bluetooth wireless networking.  Learned something new.
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 17:39:17 PM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 17:45:00 PM »

Lisa, the forum dotard, aka non compos or nitskull got it wrong once again.  Looking again at pisi history, the two dependencies were obex and openobex, not obex-data-server.   Roll Eyes
 Cheesy
owiknowi
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »

Lisa, the forum dotard, aka non compos or nitskull got it wrong once again.  Looking again at pisi history, the two dependencies were obex and openobex, not obex-data-server.   Roll Eyes
 Cheesy

was that cora speaking, whilst playing?  cats are very clever...
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 14:34:36 PM »

Ha!  owiknowi, hmmm, okay, I'll blame her.   Smiley  (Cora is big German Shepherd with hip arthritis, and Chloe is who you would be thinking of, and yes, she's clever and getting back at me for taking her to vet to get her teeth cleaned resulting in a few pulled teeth.)

I laugh at myself.  It is like my brain works at half hour lag time.  I can write at forum, log out, then go for a walk or do something else and suddendly it dawns on me that I misplelt so and so word, or got something wrong.  It's annoying to say the least, but also makes me laugh.  Odd to think I used to be a top speller in the fifth grade.  Cheesy  I'm here to make you folks look good and cunning!

Ah, another smiley to save.  That one is  cute.
Lisa Marie
owiknowi
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 11:56:31 AM »

Ha!  owiknowi, hmmm, okay, I'll blame her.   Smiley  (Cora is big German Shepherd with hip arthritis, and Chloe is who you would be thinking of, and yes, she's clever and getting back at me for taking her to vet to get her teeth cleaned resulting in a few pulled teeth.)
ouch, hope chloe & cora don't take it too personal... like them both, cats 'n dogs Wink
don't know what we're still doing here amongst 'solved bluetooth' but hey, confusion seems to go around: take a look at this confused penguin...
penguins don't sit in trees, they don't fly (or they must be very clever and just neglect gravity?)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: