Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:55:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff  (Read 10165 times)
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:51:39 AM »

I had this problem with PcLinuxOS and it was solved, oddly enough, by changing the kernel to a pae one. (or it may have been a bfs - so long ago now I've forgotten which) but whichever, it did the trick and the shutting down problem was solved

A search for a similar kernel on Pardus came up blank.

Is there another simpler way to fix this?

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:50:59 AM by Maurice » Logged

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 13:31:44 PM »

Which motherboard/computer are you using Huh?
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 02:34:03 AM »

Which motherboard/computer are you using Huh?

Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd.

With breaking open the case I don't know what the motherboard is. Huh?

Edit - Without breaking open the case. Duh
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 23:23:26 PM by Maurice » Logged

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:52:34 AM »

Maybe the next trick (up to now for older mobo's) does solve this Huh?
System Settings > Boot Manager > Edit > add to Boot Options
Code:
acpi=force
And restart to become active.
If not successful, remove the added option again.
owiknowi
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 20:50:58 PM »

just a tip: powering off a computer the hard way, pressing power off till it stops, can and often will damage your hard disk drive...
so i discovered with my notebook (500gb@7200rpm is making funny clicking and ziiiiiiiiiiiii-noises now).  Sad
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 00:07:59 AM »

Maybe the next trick (up to now for older mobo's) does solve this Huh?
System Settings > Boot Manager > Edit > add to Boot Options
Code:
acpi=force
And restart to become active.
If not successful, remove the added option again.

just a tip: powering off a computer the hard way, pressing power off till it stops, can and often will damage your hard disk drive...
so i discovered with my notebook (500gb@7200rpm is making funny clicking and ziiiiiiiiiiiii-noises now).  Sad

atolboo -my mobo would be getting on a bit now but forcing acpi didn't work unfortunately.

Thanks for that owiknowi- that's new to me. So now I pull the plug from the computer and then replace it. Hope that isn't screwing anything. Huh?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 00:13:44 AM by Maurice » Logged

owiknowi
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »

@maurice: please don't power off that way neither.

powering off a computer that way, while it's up and running, will probably not only damage your hdd but way more very sensitive pieces of electronics.
computers are even sensitive to whether you use grounding or not, static electricity, and so on.

thing is i have the same trouble with a hp dv6 and some penguins: the computer freezes at a certain moment. powering off the proper way is no longer possible. that way i probably messed up my internal hdd.

often it's caused by conflicting/unsupported hardware, irq's, or even some connected peripherals. one long way around it is to use generic hardware during installation and add/connect the exotic pieces later, till you find what's causing the trouble.

in my case it's a conflicting intel gma chipset and a not supported ati video card (alas can't remove the latter from a notebook).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:37:35 AM by owiknowi » Logged
SW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »

Sorry owiknowi, but I never heared about that a hard power off could damage hardware. If the driver for a specific hardware then maybe a real hardware defect could apper. The only thing that is sure that You can loose data and maybe the data integrety of Your HDD could be damaged. This is nothing what a fresh install couldnt fix.

IF the computer is responsive You could try the following command into a terminal:
Code:
sudo shutdown -h now

IF the computer is not responsive and freezed You can try the magic kernel commands. Just type the following:
Code:
<ALT> +  <PRINT>  +  R    E    I    S    U    B

Please give the Kernel just some time between each letter (about 1s).

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:26:02 AM by SW » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 10:36:52 AM »

@sw
maybe you're right again, who knows, usually you are. but one can find out best by trial and error...  Grin

based on actual experiences, for educational purposes of course, some colleagues and me, 'tested' several laptops and desktops, also by powering them off the wrong way: just pull out the power cord and put it back in, press the power button like a door bell till the thing would be quiet.

so, just for testing purposes (at your own risk, do not use a new pc, or do if you don't care):
make sure your pc completely freezes, but the hdd is still running, now remove power cord (and battery if you use a laptop). listen good... did you hear the click from the hdd and it slowly spinning down? the hdd didn't get the message in time that it ought to go to sleep. Wink

after doing so for a while the hdd wil start to make funny noices, become unreliable, and best of all: provide you with shiny coasters ones it's taken apart.
i won't get into what it does to the power supply of a computer, any further then: had to buy a new one.

always liked this article: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1672/  Grin
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:01:16 AM by owiknowi » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 11:26:35 AM »

Wow - seems more complicated than I thought.

Thanks for all the replies - rather too many to quote.

Ok, points taken - I shall stop my cavalier shutdowns. Grin

It freezes and is not at all responsive so I can't use a terminal; however I did try the shutdown command before shutting down but it didn't work. Also tried the raising elephants..... but no joy.

So what I did was press the Restart button and, guess what? It actually did shut down, light went off but it immediately opened again.

What I can do until I find the answer is to restart into Windows or Pclos and then shutdown from there. A bit roundabout but worth it if hard shutdowns are risky.

I did think of downloading a pae kernel from Pclos and trying to use that in Pardus. That cured the problem in that Pclos. Would that be doable?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:31:05 AM by Maurice » Logged

owiknowi
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 13:20:28 PM »

if the problem persists, you always can file a bug report, after you've created an account there for yourself.
but before doing so, maybe someone comes up with an actual solution for your problem (atolboo and sw most of the time do    ).
SW
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 00:19:42 AM »

Sorry for OT!

make sure your pc completely freezes, but the hdd is still running, now remove power cord (and battery if you use a laptop). listen good... did you hear the click from the hdd and it slowly spinning down? the hdd didn't get the message in time that it ought to go to sleep. Wink

after doing so for a while the hdd wil start to make funny noices, become unreliable, and best of all: provide you with shiny coasters ones it's taken apart.
i won't get into what it does to the power supply of a computer, any further then: had to buy a new one.

When You shut down Computers by hard switch off then reading head of HDD is not in protected parking position so every movement and shock will hurt the reading head and of course the surface of the magnetic disk. This could be the reason for the HDD failures (especially on Notebooks because usually You move and shake them a lot), but not the power off itself.  Wink
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 00:38:34 AM »

Sorry for OT!

When You shut down Computers by hard switch off then reading head of HDD is not in protected parking position so every movement and shock will hurt the reading head and of course the surface of the magnetic disk. This could be the reason for the HDD failures (especially on Notebooks because usually You move and shake them a lot), but not the power off itself.  Wink

Thanks for that SW - good enough reason to avoid the hard switch-off. What is OT?

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 00:52:52 AM »

G'day

OT= Off Topic

You may want to read this :http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/internetglossary/a/glossary-of-internet-jargon-and-abbreviations.htm

Lord knows , I need to
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 01:14:26 AM »

G'day

OT= Off Topic

DUH Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: