Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 16:31:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff  (Read 10059 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 22:02:22 PM »

Hi Maurice,
Your hardware is a bit  newer than mine, as I'm using a socket 939 athlon motherboard with nVidia GeForce 8500 GT card.  I had to read up on your CPU, and if it is the Q6600? (you wrote 06600) then it sounds impressive and still has a strong following these many years later.  

I did some searches and didn't come up with anything, either, accept to do as atolboo suggested, which you tried.  What seems stranger is that the command SW gave to shutdown computer through command line did not work for you.
Did you install any proprietary driver during the install of Pardus?  
You could check for error messages in terminal output of dmesg, or look at /var/log/kdm.log or your home's xsession errors.  

Code:
cat /var/run/kdm.pid
should show a pid number.
Lisa Marie
P.S.  Also, you said it freezes.  Some of us have had problems with very slow shutdown while using VPN or dial up connection where it would take my computer up to 4 minutes to finally shutdown.  No problems on startup.  Did you try waiting for several minutes to see what it does?  Several=oh, about seven minutes, just to be sure.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 22:23:31 PM by Lisa » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 22:34:00 PM »

This may be a silly question, but desktop are you using, sometimes the configuration needs to be tweeked.

I know you're likely to be using KDE , but lets be sure...
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 02:25:29 AM »

Hi Maurice,
Your hardware is a bit  newer than mine, as I'm using a socket 939 athlon motherboard with nVidia GeForce 8500 GT card.  I had to read up on your CPU, and if it is the Q6600? (you wrote 06600) then it sounds impressive and still has a strong following these many years later.  

I did some searches and didn't come up with anything, either, accept to do as atolboo suggested, which you tried.  What seems stranger is that the command SW gave to shutdown computer through command line did not work for you.
Did you install any proprietary driver during the install of Pardus?  
You could check for error messages in terminal output of dmesg, or look at /var/log/kdm.log or your home's xsession errors.  

Code:
cat /var/run/kdm.pid
should show a pid number.
Lisa Marie
P.S.  Also, you said it freezes.  Some of us have had problems with very slow shutdown while using VPN or dial up connection where it would take my computer up to 4 minutes to finally shutdown.  No problems on startup.  Did you try waiting for several minutes to see what it does?  Several=oh, about seven minutes, just to be sure.  Grin

Thanks for the trouble you have taken Lisa Marie.

Yes, Q6600 is correct.

Proprietary drivers - yes, where Pardus gave the option of these during installation I said OK.

Checking for error messages - /var/log/kdm.log gave no permission even though I used root. Dmesg gave me a huge readout most of which meant nothing to me. Grin

PID gave 641 which also means nothing.

I don't use VPN and I have a wifi connection and, although patience is not a virtue of mine, I did give it 8 minutes but it wouldn't go away.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:28:03 AM by Maurice » Logged

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 02:29:45 AM »

This may be a silly question, but desktop are you using, sometimes the configuration needs to be tweeked.

I know you're likely to be using KDE , but lets be sure...

Yes I'm using KDE.

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 03:37:18 AM »

Ok then Maurice, assuming you have not altered KDE  ,it's likely ok , ( at least mine is , and mine was a difficult install ).
Can you do a dmesg , while in konsole, just see if there are any lines that have the word " error " in them.....................
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 05:09:41 AM »

Ok then Maurice, assuming you have not altered KDE  ,it's likely ok , ( at least mine is , and mine was a difficult install ).
Can you do a dmesg , while in konsole, just see if there are any lines that have the word " error " in them.....................

No error lines but one can't line Grin

"can't assign mem pref"

Doesn't seem very significant.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:12:12 AM by Maurice » Logged

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »

No error lines but one can't line Grin
"can't assign mem pref"
Doesn't seem very significant.
[/quote]

I tend to agree ,Maurice.

Couple of other things , some usb devices (e.g. external hard drives , not keyboards or mice ) have caused a ( older ) system to hang  or to not boot , something to see to ( remove them temporarily ) .
As I mentioned , mine was a hard to install thing, so I disabled ( in software ) a couple of things , not force , just removed them from the kernel boot.My boot looks like this now:  " kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.37.6 root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root resume=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_swap ".

You may want to try this at the inital boot screen in the parameters line, it'll restore itself in the next boot.
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »

I tend to agree ,Maurice.

Couple of other things , some usb devices (e.g. external hard drives , not keyboards or mice ) have caused a ( older ) system to hang  or to not boot , something to see to ( remove them temporarily ) .
As I mentioned , mine was a hard to install thing, so I disabled ( in software ) a couple of things , not force , just removed them from the kernel boot.My boot looks like this now:  " kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.37.6 root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root resume=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_swap ".

You may want to try this at the inital boot screen in the parameters line, it'll restore itself in the next boot.

I don't have any external devices attached.

I'm not sure of what you mean?
Are you suggesting that in /boot/grub/menu.lst I replace my

" kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.37.6 root=UUID=5a825bf0-8d11-4797-91af-f4a32cf16ea4 splash quiet blacklist=nouveau "
with your
" kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.37.6 root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root resume=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_swap "

and try that? And what is the initial boot screen? 
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:30:29 PM by Maurice » Logged

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 14:54:23 PM »

I'm not sure of what you mean?
Are you suggesting that in /boot/grub/menu.lst I replace my
" kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.37.6 root=UUID=5a825bf0-8d11-4797-91af-f4a32cf16ea4 splash quiet blacklist=nouveau "
with your
" kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.37.6 root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root resume=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_swap "

and try that? And what is the initial boot screen?  
Thanks
[/quote]

Then we can rule out usb hangups.............

Oooooh yeah multi boot , forgot about that  , that means no splash screen ( that is what I meant by initial screen , giving you options to alter your booting temporarily ).
and your kernel boot command is almost as simple as mine .

Before we go to that , I see from another forum , that kde4 desktop effects may cause a problem.
One users solution was to go to kde start > settings> desktop effects and remove the tick mark from the " enable desktop effects switch".
A simple thing to try first.

anglophony
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 16:35:35 PM by Anglophony » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 07:22:45 AM »

Then we can rule out usb hangups.............

Oooooh yeah multi boot , forgot about that  , that means no splash screen ( that is what I meant by initial screen , giving you options to alter your booting temporarily ).
and your kernel boot command is almost as simple as mine .

Before we go to that , I see from another forum , that kde4 desktop effects may cause a problem.
One users solution was to go to kde start > settings> desktop effects and remove the tick mark from the " enable desktop effects switch".
A simple thing to try first.

anglophony

But I'm partial to desktop effects. Grin However I did disable them but it had no effect. So I get to keep my eye-candy.

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 22:58:45 PM »

"But I'm partial to desktop effects. Grin However I did disable them but it had no effect. So I get to keep my eye-candy."

C'est la vie   Grin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 23:02:39 PM by Anglophony » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 02:24:14 AM »

Maybe this thread will help you. 

Thanks Lisa but no go again. Hope one day to reply -- "That's it....Fixed"

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 02:25:09 AM »

"But I'm partial to desktop effects. Grin However I did disable them but it had no effect. So I get to keep my eye-candy."

C'est la vie   Grin

Eh bien  Roll Eyes

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 07:00:07 AM »

Hi Maurice,
Got looking  around for info on the chip/motherboard combo that you seem to have.I, Since you can multi boot, would you go to xp and run memtest+ ? This problem may be ram related
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 09:58:39 AM »

Hi Maurice,
Got looking  around for info on the chip/motherboard combo that you seem to have.I, Since you can multi boot, would you go to xp and run memtest+ ? This problem may be ram related

Well, well, this is slightly embarrassing - I use XP so very rarely (Flight Simulator only) that I've forgotten where its terminal is.

I tried it in the Run box but what appeared to be an empty terminal box flashed up briefly and disappeared,

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: