Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 20:28:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff  (Read 10010 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 17:09:50 PM »

You can find it by enter in terminal in Linux:
Code:
lspci -v
It will show your pci bridge and ide interfaces which should show the subsystem - motherboard. 

I have a feeling it isn't ram related as that 4GB is what I have, and because PCosLinux is working fine.  We're going to help you to death, Maurice.  Grin 
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 17:31:11 PM »

Hi Maurice,
Got looking  around for info on the chip/motherboard combo that you seem to have.I, Since you can multi boot, would you go to xp and run memtest+ ? This problem may be ram related

As I recall [and I've not played with boot options recently] Pardus installs Memtest86+ by default but doesn't put it into the boot menu ("ls /boot" will show if it is installed). You can enable it in the control centre, and then choose memtest as the boot option.

BTW: My media station (a Zareason Media Station -- so made for Linux) did a similar thing last night where X-failed to exit properly on shutdown (just a black screen and no keyboard response). That machine is running Pardus 64 bit and until last night it's always behaved fine, if it repeats the misconduct I will need to investigate further.
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 00:52:11 AM »

You can find it by enter in terminal in Linux:
Code:
lspci -v
It will show your pci bridge and ide interfaces which should show the subsystem - motherboard.  

I have a feeling it isn't ram related as that 4GB is what I have, and because PCosLinux is working fine.  We're going to help you to death, Maurice.  Grin  

maurice@pardus2011 ~ $ lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 5044
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0

Is this the relevant bit?

I also tried all the combinations of Shutdown, even wrote a short script, but none of them worked.

I should have mentioned before that very occasionally it does shut down normally but doesn't seem to follow a pattern at all.

Till death do us part Lisa? That's very nice of you. Grin

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 01:03:52 AM »

As I recall [and I've not played with boot options recently] Pardus installs Memtest86+ by default but doesn't put it into the boot menu ("ls /boot" will show if it is installed). You can enable it in the control centre, and then choose memtest as the boot option.

BTW: My media station (a Zareason Media Station -- so made for Linux) did a similar thing last night where X-failed to exit properly on shutdown (just a black screen and no keyboard response). That machine is running Pardus 64 bit and until last night it's always behaved fine, if it repeats the misconduct I will need to investigate further.

maurice@pardus2011 ~ $ ls /boot
boot  grub  initramfs-2.6.37.6  kernel-2.6.37.6

I'm busy doing my morning routine (local news, world news, life hacker, TV etc Grin) right now but will pop into Windows later and do the 'memtest'

Sorry to hear you've now got the problem - from my searches it is a common one and, seemingly, with lots of causes.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:08:38 AM by Maurice » Logged

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 07:43:53 AM »

Please excuse the late reply, I've been away for a while.

ls /boot doesn't show memtest and I've looked for it in the terminal but it doesn't show. Not sure how to enable it in the centre -- is this System Settings?

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »

Hi Maurice
For the time being, when you need to shutdown or reboot, go to konsole and you can manually do either by typing "sudo halt " or " sudo reboot " depending on the needs of the moment, this should tide you over until we can sort this problem out.
James T
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2011, 16:28:42 PM »

ls /boot doesn't show memtest and I've looked for it in the terminal but it doesn't show. Not sure how to enable it in the centre -- is this System Settings?
That means it's not installed (maybe the defaults have changed). You first need to install the package "memtest86", either:
Code:
sudo pisi it memtest86
or from the package manager. Then as I recall when you choose "add" in the boot manager screen of the system settings it should be available.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, 17:57:41 PM »

Hi Maurice,

I thought of what I wrote, about helping you to death, that maybe I didn't word that joke remark correctly - that in other areas of the world it could be taken literally.  Let's, see, I meant, help you whether you want the help or no, or help you until you are so very tired of us trying to help you.  Cheesy We just want to see "resolved'.  Wink

I was reading , what is kernel pae at wiki, and it does have to do with memory, as your other two helpers have mentioned.  You have 4GB of RAM and usually one uses PAE kernel to access more than 4GB of RAM.  So, yes, doing a memory test is a good idea as was suggested.  I'm not using PAE kernel and I have same amount of RAM as you. 

I am curious, what kernel are you using in PClinuxOS?  When you log into that distro, you can do "uname -r" or for a more detail, "uname -a". 

I only came across someone with similar problem and were asked if they were using a RAID setup.  Another suggested to update the BIOS.  And another suggested to use the 64 bit version of OS instead of 32 bit version.

You could also try nouveau free graphics driver instead of nVidia proprietary driver to see if that makes a difference.  I'm using nouvea for my GForce 8500 card and have no complaints, and doing so gets rid of those black specks in upper left hand corner of monitor.  I'd also be curious if any of the terminal commands allow you to shutdown the computer.  That is strange that even terminal command to shutdown does not work.  Did you install Pardus with user that has adminstrative rights (wheel groups) or no?
Lisa Marie
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2011, 01:04:18 AM »

Hi Maurice
For the time being, when you need to shutdown or reboot, go to konsole and you can manually do either by typing "sudo halt " or " sudo reboot " depending on the needs of the moment, this should tide you over until we can sort this problem out.

Thanks Anglo, those commands worked fine and no trouble either.

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2011, 01:21:25 AM »

That means it's not installed (maybe the defaults have changed). You first need to install the package "memtest86", either:
Code:
sudo pisi it memtest86
or from the package manager. Then as I recall when you choose "add" in the boot manager screen of the system settings it should be available.

Thanks - I did that James. Should it then have appeared in the boot menu? It didn't do so. I tried i in Konsole but got "command not found" And what does it do anyway?

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 02:15:41 AM »

Hi Maurice,

I thought of what I wrote, about helping you to death, that maybe I didn't word that joke remark correctly - that in other areas of the world it could be taken literally.  Let's, see, I meant, help you whether you want the help or no, or help you until you are so very tired of us trying to help you.  Cheesy We just want to see "resolved'.  Wink

Lisa Marie

Got it :Lisa. Grin But worry not - my wife used to say I had a weird, even warped, sense of humour.

I'm still going over the rest of you post and will reply when I have a few answers. I do appreciate the work you are putting in on this. I am presently alternating between Pclos and Pardus but would like to settle on Pardus as soon as I get this shutdown problem solved.

Maurice

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2011, 04:52:51 AM »

"Thanks - I did that James. Should it then have appeared in the boot menu? It didn't do so. I tried i in Konsole but got "command not found" And what does it do anyway?"

I'm in the middle of re-doing my system Maurice.
So when I booted , the boot screen offered a "other option" ( yes I tried this ) if the linux memtest86 is already installed.You should be able to run it then ( I say "should ", because I never do anything straight forward so things may differ "in detail")
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:54:45 AM by Anglo » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 04:58:31 AM »

Hi Maurice,

I was reading , what is kernel pae at wiki, and it does have to do with memory, as your other two helpers have mentioned.  You have 4GB of RAM and usually one uses PAE kernel to access more than 4GB of RAM.  So, yes, doing a memory test is a good idea as was suggested.  I'm not using PAE kernel and I have same amount of RAM as you. 

I am curious, what kernel are you using in PClinuxOS?  When you log into that distro, you can do "uname -r" or for a more detail, "uname -a". 

I only came across someone with similar problem and were asked if they were using a RAID setup.  Another suggested to update the BIOS.  And another suggested to use the 64 bit version of OS instead of 32 bit version.

You could also try nouveau free graphics driver instead of nVidia proprietary driver to see if that makes a difference.  I'm using nouvea for my GForce 8500 card and have no complaints, and doing so gets rid of those black specks in upper left hand corner of monitor.  I'd also be curious if any of the terminal commands allow you to shutdown the computer.  That is strange that even terminal command to shutdown does not work.  Did you install Pardus with user that has adminstrative rights (wheel groups) or no?
Lisa Marie

[maurice@localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.33.7-pclos6.pae #1 SMP Fri Oct 22 00:00:59 CDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

As you observe  the pae kernel is for accessing >4gb so I don't really need it. However I had this same shutdown problem with Pclos and this kernel was suggested for some reason. So I installed it and, odd as it may seem, it fixed the problem. So who am I to reason why?

On to my graphics driver......

Her is my menu.lst

timeout 4
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/gfxmenu
default 0

title      Pardus 2011.2 Cervus elaphus (on /dev/sda3)
root      (hd0,2)
kernel      /boot/kernel-2.6.37.6 root=UUID=5a825bf0-8d11-4797-91af-f4a32cf16ea4 splash quiet blacklist=nouveau
initrd      /boot/initramfs-2.6.37.6
savedefault
boot

title Pclos Minime
kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=Pclos_Minime root=LABEL=Minime quiet nokmsboot vmalloc=256M acpi=on splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd.img

title Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

You will note that nouveau is blacklisted for some reason.

None of the terminal commands shut down but halt and reboot, as suggested by Anglo, work fine.

I can't recall what admin rights I installed with but I normally go for whatever is offering and I do have admin rights - but not sure about groups.

Hope you can make something of all this and thanks again for sticking with it.

Maurice

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 18:22:49 PM »

Hi Maurice,

Well, I think we are back to your first post, and you probably had the solution when you mentioned using kernel pae.  I had to re-look at my asus k8ne bios to see what it shows for my RAM, and it shows physical memory as 4GB and under DRAM configuration I have both S/W and H/W DRAM over 4GB remapping enabled.  I assume you do, too.  I was thrown off by description how much ram, and when I read BIOS description of remapping, it says "4GB or over" .   

And you are correct that there is no kernel-PAE available for Pardus 2011.  There is for Pardus Corporate2 for 32-bit version.  I know, because I just installed it.  I'm embarrassed as I've been using 32-bit Corporate 2 for some time now and never did install the pae kernel.  Now when I look at KInfo Centre and look at Memory, it shows 3.89 physical memory instead of 2.95, all thanks to you for bringing up this problem.   Cheesy  I assume it doesn't show a full 4GB memory as probably my PCIe graphics card is using part of it, or some other reason.  And my 64 bit version of Pardus 2011.2 is showing 3.87 physical memory as well. 

There is a request for PAE kernel in Pardus 2011. 
There might be a way to install the Corporate 2 kernel-pae and kernel-modules-pae in 2011, but not sure.  Corporate2 uses kernel 2.6.35.11 and 2011 uses kernel 2.6.37.6.
I would suggest trying the 64 bit version of Pardus 2011 as this should access 4GB and over memory. Another suggestion is to try Corporate 2 32-bit version and install PAE kernel,  Corporate2 doesn't have as many packages available from users repos, and uses KDE 3.5.10 desktop. 

And yes, nouveau no is correct as you are using the nvidia driver which you selected during installation.
Lisa Marie
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 02:53:53 AM »

Thanks for the long reply Lisa but you're clouding my vision with geekish verbiage. In fact you're acting like the guru that you claim not to be in a different thread. Grin

My setup doesn't allow 64bit and I don't want to go back to KDE 3.5.10 in Corporate2 so I'll have to wait for the pae kernel for the 32bit version. For now I use the gui to Leave and Turn off now and hope it does turn off - which it does now and again.

Another way is to use the old fashioned reset key which few machines seem to have these days. When I do this the computer switches off and 4 seconds later it turns itself back on. During that 4 seconds I switch off at the wall. So that is not like a hard switch as it is already off.

Hope you get what I'm trying say. Grin I seem to recall though from way back that the reset key should not be used. Rather odd as why is it there if not to be used?

Maurice
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:57:59 AM by Maurice » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: