Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:24:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff  (Read 9978 times)
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2011, 05:54:18 AM »

Betcha bippy if you examine the usb sticks with gparted you'll find that the 1.1 gig is a DOS  partion......linux doesn't much care what type  partiton  you use on the stick only the size matters......

Thanks for that Anglo. It had me stuck for a while.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:25:41 AM by Maurice » Logged

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2011, 06:37:04 AM »

Well, it appears that my motherboard is not happy with 64bits. I burned the download to a ush, switched off and fired it up from the stick. The installation opening screen came up but the next screen, instead of taking me into the installing routine, took me straight into Kaptan and was happily working from the usb, which was not quite what I had in mind. Huh?

So, it looks as if I'm back to 32bits and the problem remains.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:40:04 AM by Maurice » Logged

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »

I had 64-bits running at one time
but I had burned a dvd to do it......................too old fashion I guess  Roll Eyes
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »

Well, it appears that my motherboard is not happy with 64bits. I burned the download to a ush, switched off and fired it up from the stick. The installation opening screen came up but the next screen, instead of taking me into the installing routine, took me straight into Kaptan and was happily working from the usb, which was not quite what I had in mind. Huh?
This has nothing to do with 32/64-bit version.
You did take the 2011 Live version.
Try it again with >2011 Install from here< and I expect it will give a much better result Cheesy

.... to a ush.....
I guess you did want to write USB there ^^^  Grin
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2011, 05:19:10 AM »

This has nothing to do with 32/64-bit version.
You did take the 2011 Live version.
Try it again with >2011 Install from here< and I expect it will give a much better result Cheesy

Thanks atolboo. Can't think how I did that. Roll Eyes However I downloaded, burnt and installed the correct version. And all to no avail - I'm still getting the same shutdown problem. The 64bit is not appreciably better than the 32bit. And not exactly up to the minute with an ancient Firefox 5.0. Huh?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:22:27 AM by Maurice » Logged

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2011, 16:44:11 PM »

Thanks atolboo. Can't think how I did that. Roll Eyes However I downloaded, burnt and installed the correct version. And all to no avail - I'm still getting the same shutdown problem. The 64bit is not appreciably better than the 32bit. And not exactly up to the minute with an ancient Firefox 5.0. Huh?

Hi Maurice
Could/can you tell us your Bios info ( manufacturer , the date issued , revision number ) ?
Just chasing thoughts here....
Anglo

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2011, 17:04:19 PM »

It is a step closer with being able to shutdown a couple of times after doing the updates in Pardus. 

If it sounds like I am trying to hard, then it is because I do a lot of my thinking and typing aloud.  Your shutdown problem has me curious, is all and curious enough to want to know why, plus its raining like cats and dogs out so I can't do outside chores.  Cheesy

We still don't know your motherboard, but on a wild guess, I'm going to say it is one of these:
-DG33BU-DG33FB-DG33TL-DP35DP.

Helpful to know if shutdown problem occurs after a resume or not.  I would also try disabling networkmanager before shutdown to see if this is where problem lies:
Code:
sudo service NetworkManager stop
try shutting down or restarting computer. 
The above will stop Network Manager service, but it will resume upon reboot. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 00:35:17 AM by Lisa » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2011, 01:21:13 AM »

Hi Maurice
Could/can you tell us your Bios info ( manufacturer , the date issued , revision number ) ?
Just chasing thoughts here....
Anglo

The only relevant info I can see is - Version DPP3410J - nothing else. But I don't think this would help as  Windows XP and Pclos both shut down properly.

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »

It is a step closer with being able to shutdown a couple of times after doing the updates in Pardus. 

If it sounds like I am trying to hard, then it is because I do a lot of my thinking and typing aloud.  Your shutdown problem has me curious, is all and curious enough to want to know why, plus its raining like cats and dogs out so I can't do outside chores.  Cheesy

We still don't know your motherboard, but on a wild guess, I'm going to say it is one of these:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/Intel-Desktop-Board-DG33BU-DG33FB-DG33TL-DP35DP-Bios-0572.shtml

Helpful to know if shutdown problem occurs after a resume or not.  I would also try disabling networkmanager before shutdown to see if this is where problem lies:
Code:
sudo service NetworkManager stop
try shutting down or restarting computer. 
The above will stop Network Manager service, but it will resume upon reboot. 

So, I must hope the rain keeps up until this problem is solved. Grin Grin

I finally opened up the box (it's easy enough to open but frustratingly difficult to close again) and it is among your guesses - DG33FB.

Shutting down Network Manager has no effect, and nor does shutting down after a resume.

It's a frustrating problem and if it were on any other distro I would have given up on it long ago but I like Pardus. I've been using it in preference to Pclos since I installed it some 4-5 weeks ago. It is fast and responsive, has a polished look to it and seems rock stable. Certainly by far the best distro I have used.

So, to all posters who are helping me, I appreciate your efforts very much.

Maurice

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2011, 02:00:07 AM »

I was about to say , lets see where Lisa takes us.......
Have you ever updated the bios ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:02:11 AM by Anglo » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2011, 02:04:05 AM »

I was about to say , lets see where Lisa takes us.......
Have you ever updated the bios ?

+1 recurring.....

I don't think I have. Not on this machine anyway.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:05:37 AM by Maurice » Logged

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2011, 02:13:22 AM »

+1 recurring.....

huh?

It might be a good move , if only to bring it up to standards. (Pardus IS a very modern Linux ) , but ,still lets see what Lisa has to say......
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:17:56 AM by Anglo » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »

+1 recurring.....

huh?
-------------------------------------------

It might be a good move , if only to bring it up to standards. (Pardus IS a very modern Linux ) , but ,still lets see what Lisa has to say......

The +1...... was in reply to your suggestion - but ,still lets see what Lisa has to say......[/b]  Grin

As for flashing bios, I understand that this should only be done if absolutely necessary. And because I have no problem with Pclos which is as new as Pardus then perhaps my bios doesn't need updating?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:10:27 AM by Maurice » Logged

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:20 AM »

Thanks for the clarification

as far as the rest , that remains to be seen , hence waiting on Lisa
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2011, 17:59:25 PM »

Thanks Maurice for finding the motherboard name.  It stopped raining, but I was hoping that disabling NetworkManager would have given us something, and I am still puzzled.  Thinking outloud here, I am guessing something isn't letting go of your system during shutdown, some service,  but still that is guessing and I don't want to keep you checking all sorts of avenues which will only be exasperating for you.   If it were my system, I would check for any BIOS updates for the processor and/or motherboard. Edit here:  reading previous page I see you are deducing logically and doing bios update shouldn't be necessary.  Or, if you ever get your hands on a Pardus Corporate version using 64 bits or 32 bits, and try the default kernel  35, that would also give clues, but a hassle and not any closer to solving problem in P 2011.  Tedious, but you could also check and compare logs in both operating systems of pclinux os and pardus 2011:
var/log like the daemon log, syslog or messages log.  Also check in your home folder, unhide it and look to see if there is anything out of ordinary in .xsession-errors file.    A stumped smiley is needed here, but this one will do Huh?
We like having you here, Maurice, so we do hope to get this fixed so you can say, Whoop!
P.S.  After searching for some have shutdown problems, it is still not understood if this is kernel related or kde4.x related or a combination of the two.   Roll Eyes  I would also suggest if you haven't tried the first release of Pardus 2011, January release, to give it a try as there were major changes to kde4 with Pardus 2011.1  release. 
And, I'll keep looking to see if I find anything about this problem.
Back with a lame idea, but it helped me resolve problems with Windows not booting up or logging down properly. Turn your computer off, unplug it and unplug all unnecessary devices leaving you only the mouse and keyboard.    Start up Pardus and shutdown.  If and that is a big IF, it does shutdown properly, try it again, plugging in one device at a time and repeat until you pinpoint problem.   I know the other two os's work fine with your devices, but maybe kernel 37 doesn't  or kde 4.6,5

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 19:18:16 PM by Lisa » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: