Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 13:05:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff  (Read 9997 times)
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »

Thanks for all those ideas Lisa. I'll work my way through them asap.

Turn your computer off, unplug it and unplug all unnecessary devices leaving you only the mouse and keyboard.    Start up Pardus and shutdown.  If and that is a big IF, it does shutdown properly, try it again, plugging in one device at a time and repeat until you pinpoint problem.   I know the other two os's work fine with your devices, but maybe kernel 37 doesn't  or kde 4.6,5

Didn't work perhaps because the only device I have connected  is a speaker. Smiley

Also check in your home folder, unhide it and look to see if there is anything out of ordinary in .xsession-errors file.  

Now this shows promise but, as I can't decipher it, maybe not.

Her are the first lines

X session started for maurice at Thu Nov 24 18:58:32 CST 2011
startkde: Starting up...
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kbuildsycoca4 running...
X Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 2
  Major opcode: 102 (X_ChangeKeyboardControl)
  Resource id:  0x68
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
No outputs have backlight property
QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.5'
QDBusConnection: name 'org.freedesktop.UPower' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.45'
OpenGL vendor string:                   NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string:                 GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string:                  3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13
OpenGL shading language version string: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
Driver:                                 NVIDIA
Driver version:                         280.13
GPU class:                              G80/G90
OpenGL version:                         3.3
GLSL version:                           3.30
X server version:                       1.9.5
Linux kernel version:                   2.6.37
Direct rendering:                       yes
Requires strict binding:                no
GLSL shaders:                           yes
Texture NPOT support:                   yes

And

Soprano: "No Soprano backend found that can handle memory models."
[/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub] "/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub(1052)" Soprano: "No Soprano backend found that can handle memory models."
[/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub] "/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub(1052)" Soprano: "No Soprano backend found that can handle memory models."

And towards the end are lots of what appear to be faults.  Here are a few of them

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
  Resource id:  0x1a09f2a
  Resource id:  0x1a0b0ba
  Resource id:  0x1a0b0ba

I am sure you will be able to make more of it than I can. Grin

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:59:35 AM by Maurice » Logged

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2011, 18:27:38 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Maurice.  Yep, that's how we used to do it in Windows, unplug everything because there are no decent error logs one can use to debug it. 

I have the bad window errors, too and I don't seem to have a problem and ignore them.  I don't have the Sorpano memory error and doing an exact phrase search in yahoo didn't bring me any hits.  Soprano is part of Nepomuk and I have it disabled on my Pardus system under System Settings>Desktop Search. I also disabled it under Startup and Shutdown>Service Manager>Nepomuk search module "stop" and unticked it from starting. 

Since I have no Turkey fowl to roast today on this Thanksgiving Day here in the states, I've been searching some more, and didn't really come up with anything specific to your particular motherboard and cpu.  But, I did read about the upstream  switch from using hal daemon to udisks and upower, which has been giving laptop users problems on resume.  I don't think this transition has been finalized or nicely finished in KDE 4.6.5.
Under System Settings>Information Sources> there is listed for my setup the Solid backends: network management, remote control management and modem management.  If you click on the Help button, there should also be listed backends for power management and bluetooth management.  There aren't.  And maybe this has nothing to do with your problem.  I'm wondering what version of KDE desktop you are using in pclinuxos with the kernel .33?  That could be a clue.  I would also experiment with services.  First, I would disable acpid and shutdown computer.  It will come back on upon restart:
Code:
sudo service acpid stop
Another test would be to enable service hal:
Code:
sudo service hal start
and try shutdown. 
It won't start again upon restart, but will if you do want to try it upon restart and shutdown then:
Code:
sudo service hal on
Again, these are all guesses if they will help or not.
I should start a bug report for you as then you can attach the entire message logs, service logs instead of just parts of them here, and maybe they know of better questions to ask you.  You can also send them your pisi history, which can be of help, especially as you said after doing an initial update you were able to shutdown properly a few times.
Let me know if you want me to.
Lisa Marie
P.S.  Always a p.s. with me as I forget something I wanted to write.  Something else to try. System Settings>Startup and Shutdown>Service Manager> Power Management.  Stop it and untick it so it doesn't start. Another test would be to stop  Network Status,  Apply,  and then try shut down.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 18:40:43 PM by Lisa » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2011, 23:21:02 PM »

Sorry no turkey Lisa but happy Thanksgiving.

I had already disabled 8 services

network status
nepomuk
drive ejector
write daemon
remote url change notifier
network manager user setting server
status notifier
cups

with no effect.

I'll go through the rest too.
I also looked at Intel and bios updates but it seems I have the latest one installed anyway.

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
owiknowi
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2011, 06:14:34 AM »

just another thought: did you try the live dvds (32 & 64 bit) to see what happens? do they boot properly ?
is all -or most- hardware detected? and last but not least: can you reboot or shut down from such a live session?

add. 09:45
or maybe it's about time to file a bugreport? http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/
just a very simple "installed pardus 2011.x (32/64) on a .... and it won't shut down or reboot the proper way."
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:46:52 AM by owiknowi » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2011, 09:49:25 AM »

just another thought: did you try the live dvds (32 & 64 bit) to see what happens? do they boot properly ?
is all -or most- hardware detected? and last but not least: can you reboot or shut down from such a live session?

No, I don't have any dvds over 700mb and I don't want to go back to the 2009 version - must get some new ones but would an iso burnt to dvd be any different from one burnt to usb stick?

owiknowi
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2011, 10:04:34 AM »

No, I don't have any dvds over 700mb and I don't want to go back to the 2009 version - must get some new ones but would an iso burnt to dvd be any different from one burnt to usb stick?
actually i meant the most recent pardus 2011.2 which also comes as a live iso (you can use them on either a dvd or an usb)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM »

.... would an iso burnt to dvd be any different from one burnt to usb stick?
No, it's the same.
The only requirement is that the computer can boot from an USB device.
And not every computer can do that.

actually i meant the most recent pardus 2011.2 which also comes as a live iso (you can use them on either a dvd or an usb)
Every >Pardus 2009.1/2009.2 and 2011 iso file< Live and Install can be used to make a bootable  USB device. Grin
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »

But that version is 1.1gb

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »

.... would an iso burnt to dvd be any different from one burnt to usb stick?
No, it's the same.
The only requirement is that the computer can boot from an USB device.
And not every computer can do that.

Every >Pardus 2009.1/2009.2 and 2011 iso file< Live and Install can be used to make a bootable  USB device. Grin

That is what I have - Pardus 2011 burnt on a usb device - and that is the version that is giving me this shutdown trouble.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 12:32:38 PM by Maurice » Logged

owiknowi
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »

Quote from: Maurice
1.1gb should fit nicely on a dvd or an, e.g. 2gb, usb drive, afaik?  Huh?
sorry, i'm probably just causing confusion here, better stick too the people who were actual helping!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 12:46:59 PM by owiknowi » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2011, 13:16:36 PM »

That is what I have - Pardus 2011 burnt on a usb device - and that is the version that is giving me this shutdown trouble.
I guess this is with Pardus after you have use the USB-install version to install it.
And how is the USB-Live version doing with respect to shutdown Huh?
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2011, 13:17:21 PM »

Quote from: Maurice
1.1gb should fit nicely on a dvd or an, e.g. 2gb, usb drive, afaik?  Huh?
sorry, i'm probably just causing confusion here, better stick too the people who were actual helping!

Don't put youself down owicknowi. You've been a great help over the course of the thread.

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2011, 13:22:26 PM »

I guess this is with Pardus after you have use the USB-install version to install it.
And how is the USB-Live version doing with respect to shutdown Huh?

I haven't tried that yet - I think the live versions were 2009 and I don't want to go to an earlier version. I'll check again.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2011, 14:40:02 PM »

I think the live versions were 2009 and ......
No , have a look at http://www.pardus.org.tr/en/pardus/indir/
There is a "2011 Live" section there Grin

Don't put youself down owicknowi.
owiknowi is 100% right there
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2011, 01:26:22 AM »

I think the live versions were 2009 and ......
No , have a look at http://www.pardus.org.tr/en/pardus/indir/
There is a "2011 Live" section there Grin

Don't put youself down owicknowi.
owiknowi is 100% right there

I've been confused between live and direct boot versions and have been downloading the wrong ones. I read up a bit more carefully and now I know. Roll Eyes I'll have another go later.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: