Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 09:13:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff  (Read 10134 times)
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2011, 01:29:06 AM »

I would also experiment with services.  First, I would disable acpid and shutdown computer.  It will come back on upon restart:
Code:
sudo service acpid stop
Another test would be to enable service hal:
Code:
sudo service hal start
and try shutdown.  
It won't start again upon restart, but will if you do want to try it upon restart and shutdown then:
Code:
sudo service hal on

Tried these Lisa but still no joy.

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »

No , have a look at http://www.pardus.org.tr/en/pardus/indir/
There is a "2011 Live" section there Grin

Well, I downloaded the live version from that page and burnt it to a usb stick. It worked fine but the shut down trouble remained, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. It's the most intractable problem I've ever come across and I appreciate all of you guys (and especially Lisa) sticking with it so far. I do my own searching but it's good to have help from you more knowledgeable geeks as well. Grin

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2011, 18:58:05 PM »

Hi Maurice,
and yes, owiknowi, its my job to apologize as I'm really not helping here as all of my ideas go in all kinds of directions, which is hard way to debug. 

I usually go to newegg to read reviews on a board or cpu as you get a rough idea of some problems that others are having, too.  There's a few people that have reported Linux and Intel board problems with ACPI.  I don't like to ask anyone to do a BIOS update, as sometimes it leaves them with a worse off working system, but there are some BIOS updates for your board that fix memory range overlaps.   But whether this fixes your shutdown problem is a big ?  It might get rid of the Soprano memory range error.  Wink

One reviewer at Newegg said they had to add, and I quote:
"Need pci=nommconf line on kernel boot line".  You might try this if you have not already. 

I was doing search with keywords: "dg33 + shutdown" and came up with plenty of hits. 

And some more of my tests to try that may or may not help is to disable graphics card in BIOS  and boot from the onboard graphics chip.  Good idea from others to try from live media Pardus boot. 
Another idea is when you do get a successful shutdown, be reade and hit the Esc key and this will bring you to terminal console  and it should say stuff like going to runlevel 6, disabling services, unmounting file systems, something about dbus,  and making file system "read/write" or maybe it says "read".   You might catch an error there and you can let us know. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 00:33:33 AM by Lisa » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2011, 18:58:33 PM »

Some thoughts...........
Try using a different DE (Desktop Environment ) like LXDE , a live one preferably,they run lighter and have different operational demands.
Your video card was introduced in 2007, : so is it running cool ( fan working?) , or is it overclocked?
Can you borrow a newer video card ?
For that matter , is your computer running cool?

Edit : can you give us a general idea of your usage of the beast ?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 21:44:11 PM by Anglo » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2011, 21:14:08 PM »

..... sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't.
This random behavior is strange.
What is approximately the rate of success/failure of this behavior?
And are there additional circumstances to get a successful shutdown?
Maybe it's wise to report this to the developers through Bugzilla.
I tend to think to a not set (=random) variable when the kernel is started.
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2011, 01:29:11 AM »

Hi Maurice,
and yes, owiknowi, its my job to apologize as I'm really not helping here as all of my ideas go in all kinds of directions, which is hard way to debug. 

I usually go to newegg to read reviews on a board or cpu as you get a rough idea of some problems that others are having, too.  There's a few people that have reported Linux and Intel board problems with ACPI.  I don't like to ask anyone to do a BIOS update, as sometimes it leaves them with a worse off working system, but there are some BIOS updates for your board that fix memory range overlaps.   But whether this fixes your shutdown problem is a big ?  It might get rid of the Soprano memory range error.  Wink

Here is the newegg review page 3
One reviewer said they had to add, and I quote:
"Need pci=nommconf line on kernel boot line".  You might try this if you have not already. 

I was doing search with keywords: "dg33 + shutdown" and came up with plenty of hits. 

And some more of my tests to try that may or may not help is to disable graphics card in BIOS  and boot from the onboard graphics chip.  Good idea from others to try from live media Pardus boot. 
Another idea is when you do get a successful shutdown, be reade and hit the Esc key and this will bring you to terminal console  and it should say stuff like going to runlevel 6, disabling services, unmounting file systems, something about dbus,  and making file system "read/write" or maybe it says "read".   You might catch an error there and you can let us know. 

No apologies needed from anyone, Grin

As for a bios update - after digging down in Intel for the correct one the final link was a broken one so I couldn't go any further. And I would want to be very sure I had the right version before I flashed it.

"Need pci=nommconf line on kernel boot line". Sorry this doesn't mean anything to me.

Disabling or enabling the graphics card in bios was not available.

And if I get a successful shut down the machine is already off so pressing the Esc key will have no effect surely. Huh?

Thanks again for your work Lisa.

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2011, 01:39:27 AM »

Some thoughts...........
Try using a different DE (Desktop Environment ) like LXDE , a live one preferably,they run lighter and have different operational demands.
Your video card was introduced in 2007, : so is it running cool ( fan working?) , or is it overclocked?
Can you borrow a newer video card ?
For that matter , is your computer running cool?

Edit : can you give us a general idea of your usage of the beast ?

I'm not keen on changing the DE Anglo, I'm used to KDE.

No problems with the machine running cool - it's a monster in size too. And no I can't borrow another card - all my friends are computer illiterates unfortunately. Grin

Being retired I use the machine pretty well every day - morning, afternoon and evening. Plus I'm one of those users who believe in switching it off when not in use so it gets switched off three or four times a day..

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2011, 01:49:08 AM »

This random behavior is strange.
What is approximately the rate of success/failure of this behavior?
And are there additional circumstances to get a successful shutdown?
Maybe it's wise to report this to the developers through Bugzilla.
I tend to think to a not set (=random) variable when the kernel is started.

Around 1 success in 4or 5 tries. And I can't see any pattern in the randomness.

And I can't file a bug report - I've forgotten my password. Perhaps because I never have to use it to get into the forums. Roll Eyes

I still tend to think it is the kernel. As I said in an earlier post this happened in Pclos with a .38 kernel and was solved when I reverted to a .33 kernel.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:00:56 AM by Maurice » Logged

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »

[I'm not keen on changing the DE Anglo, I'm used to KDE.]

A live distro to usb would be as temporary as possible.

[No problems with the machine running cool - it's a monster in size too. And no I can't borrow another card - all my friends are computer illiterates unfortunately. Grin]

The salient factor is the temperature of the card { Addendum : or if the card is still seated properly}

[ Being retired I use the machine pretty well every day - morning, afternoon and evening. Plus I'm one of those users who believe in switching it off when not in use so it gets switched off three or four times a day..]

I was referring to type of usage, e.g transcoding video's ,ripping cd's ,  massive number crunching, playing online games , or simple email, that sort of thing.....
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:29:59 AM by Anglo » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2011, 06:41:17 AM »

[I'm not keen on changing the DE Anglo, I'm used to KDE.]

A live distro to usb would be as temporary as possible.

[No problems with the machine running cool - it's a monster in size too. And no I can't borrow another card - all my friends are computer illiterates unfortunately. Grin]

The salient factor is the temperature of the card { Addendum : or if the card is still seated properly}

[ Being retired I use the machine pretty well every day - morning, afternoon and evening. Plus I'm one of those users who believe in switching it off when not in use so it gets switched off three or four times a day..]

I was referring to type of usage, e.g transcoding video's ,ripping cd's ,  massive number crunching, playing online games , or simple email, that sort of thing.....

Even a temporary use of  another DE would not solve the problem with my KDE.

I took out the video card, cleaned it and reseated it firmly but to no avail. It's not running hot.

And - no usage of the kind you mention, just email, various websites I visit daily, trying to make a fortune on Forex, downloading the odd distro, Flight Simulator, occasional online shopping -- and, of course, keeping up with this thread. Grin Grin

owiknowi
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2011, 07:01:54 AM »

i fully agree with you there maurice, and especially not from those who put so much effort in to helping someone!
sometimes the best help is not always the actual answer, but the way one gets there:
getting to know others along the way and learning new things. so, lisa: _O_

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2011, 07:42:16 AM »

i fully agree with you there maurice, and especially not from those who put so much effort in to helping someone!
sometimes the best help is not always the actual answer, but the way one gets there:
getting to know others along the way and learning new things. so, lisa: _O_

That was very well put owiknowi. It has been a long thread and still lacking resolution but I have thoroughly enjoyed the journey for the very reasons you put so eloquently.

PS Pardon my ignorance (I'm still a newbie rember) but what is _O_.  Grin

owiknowi
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2011, 07:51:50 AM »

good morning maurice,

_O_  means: i bow in respect (the underscores are symbolic hands beside a symbolic head, represented by the capital O)

there's a whole binary language too: leet
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2011, 09:47:31 AM »

"Need pci=nommconf line on kernel boot line". Sorry this doesn't mean anything to me.
To achieve this do in System Settings > Boot Manager > Edit > add to Boot Options
Code:
pci=nommconf
And restart to become active.
If not successful, remove the added option again.
(equivalent to this post)

And I can't file a bug report - I've forgotten my password.
They also have  a "Forgot Password" option  Wink

I still tend to think it is the kernel.
Me ^^^ too.
And iwhen this is the case, it can only be solved by:
1. Adding the appropriate boot option (if it exists and can be found).
2. Fill a bug report so that the developers can solve(modify) the kernel in order to solve this.
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2011, 11:07:06 AM »

To achieve this do in System Settings > Boot Manager > Edit > add to Boot Options
Code:
pci=nommconf
And restart to become active.
If not successful, remove the added option again.
(equivalent to this post)

Tried it but the Apply was greyed out so the "pci=nommconf" didn't stick so wouldn't work
_o_ Lisa

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: