Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:11:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UNSOLVED - Pardus not closing down properly and needing a hard switchoff  (Read 9966 times)
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2011, 02:36:36 AM »

Hi Maurice,
No, it doesn't tell me anything.

Glad to hear you took the time to place a bug report for it, in case any others are having similar problem with similar hardware, it will help them, too.  If you want, you can share the bug report link here and then if you post any of your /var/log files to it (upload them as .txt, which you should do) then we can look at them there, for as you know they can spit out quite a lot of information.  

We also have to take into account your processors.  I was looking at your pcLinuxos forum thread and the output of ACPI, and it just seemed strange that your four cores were showing up twice.  Maybe that's normal.  Thanks to your thread and looking up your problem I am learning new ways to check on hardware, as I installed "lshw" that was recommended in earlier page.  Another good on to install via PiSi is "sysstat".  After you install it, do:
Code:
mpstat -P ALL

Also do the following to show if you have four folders for each core:
Code:
ls /sys/devices/system/cpu/
Mine shows cpu0 as I have only one processor one core.  You should have cpu0 cpu1 cpu2 cpu3.
I got this information from ubuntu forum here.  

Also, look in your BIOS to check the ACPI settings and the power settings to see if something there can be enabled/disabled, then boot into Pardus and shutdown and see what happens.    

I'm trying to find that singular post at the intel forum where someone had same board as you, updated their BIOS and said they could no longer shutdown in kernels 2.6.34. to 2.6.37.  No one replied to that person.  
Lisa Marie
P.S. For grins, you might create a second user and add them to wheel group which gives them administrative rights.  Go to system settings>user manager>add user>enter name and password, then click on Advanced> and tick "give administrator rights", Apply and reboot into the new user and try shutdown.  Just a suggestion.  You can always delete that user after testing it out.

Where would I find my bug report link Lisa?

"mpstat"  gave

maurice@pardus2011 ~ $ mpstat
Linux 2.6.37.6 (pardus2011.2)   11/30/2011      _i686_    (4 CPU)
12:02:23 PM  CPU    %usr   %nice    %sys %iowait    %irq   %soft  %steal  %guest   %idle
12:02:23 PM  all    4.27    0.10    2.10    2.08    0.00    0.01    0.00    0.00   91.45

My 4 cores show up OK.

I changed the acpi settings from S2 state to S1 state and altered the power settings to Restart after power cut. Apart from those changes I saw nothing else that might help.

So according to that post in the Intel forum it seems that I should not update my bios. No surprise the poor guy got no replies.

And, for grins, another user with admin privileges also failed to shut down

Back to the grindstone. Grin

Edit - just found your edit. Will try again.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 02:42:59 AM by Maurice » Logged

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2011, 04:42:36 AM »

Lisa - I have got this from /var/log/syslog showing the end of one session and start of another. Trouble is I don't know whether that was a failed shutdown or a good one. Huh?

Nov 26 20:56:33 pardus2011 pulseaudio[1221]: pid.c: Daemon already running.
Nov 26 21:00:01 pardus2011 /usr/sbin/cron[1351]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons)
Nov 26 21:00:01 pardus2011 /usr/sbin/cron[1353]: (root) CMD (rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly)
Nov 26 21:15:01 pardus2011 /usr/sbin/cron[1420]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons)
Nov 26 21:23:46 pardus2011 shutdown[1570]: shutting down for system halt
Nov 26 21:23:46 pardus2011 init: Switching to runlevel: 0
Nov 26 21:23:49 pardus2011 kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
Nov 26 21:23:49 pardus2011 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.7.2" x-pid="607" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] exiting on signal 15.
Nov 27 09:34:02 pardus2011 kernel: imklog 5.7.2, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Nov 27 09:34:02 pardus2011 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.7.2" x-pid="615" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] start

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2011, 17:41:06 PM »

Good Morning,
Maurice, to link your bug report, go to where the bug report is (launchpad?)  double-click on the URL  which will select all of it, copy, then open new browser window or tab and open Pardus forum,  then past it here in one of your threads, which will hot link it.

I think we are getting somewhere.  Looking at your snippet, that shouldn't be the output if you are running NetworkManager.  I get that output when I totally disable NM which I can get away with since I don't have to use it with dial up. (Note:  I'm assuming after the previous threads where I asked you to try something, that you have reverted back to the default, such as when I asked you to start HAL.  Just to make sure you return these test settings back to their defaults before you try more tests, makes it easier to debug.)

I did a search for acpid not exiting and came back to this Arch thread (can be read below in following thread).  Someone there has the same board as you.  So, read it over and try blacklisting one of the suggested ethernet modules.  I couldn't go to the kernel bug link that was posted, for some odd reason, so I couldn't read it.
Looking at your manual, you have "lan support intel 824566DC gigabit ethernet controller". 
I think you can test this by going into your computer BIOS and disabling the ethernet controller.
Let's hope. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 00:40:32 AM by Lisa » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2011, 03:02:07 AM »

Good Morning,
Maurice, to link your bug report, go to where the bug report is (launchpad?)  double-click on the URL  which will select all of it, copy, then open new browser window or tab and open Pardus forum,  then past it here in one of your threads, which will hot link it.

I think we are getting somewhere.  Looking at your snippet, that shouldn't be the output if you are running NetworkManager.  I get that output when I totally disable NM which I can get away with since I don't have to use it with dial up. (Note:  I'm assuming after the previous threads where I asked you to try something, that you have reverted back to the default, such as when I asked you to start HAL.  Just to make sure you return these test settings back to their defaults before you try more tests, makes it easier to debug.)

I did a search for acpid not exiting and came back to this Arch thread.  Someone there has the same board as you.  So, read it over and try blacklisting one of the suggested ethernet modules.  I couldn't go to the kernel bug link that was posted, for some odd reason, so I couldn't read it.  Here's the Arch thread
Looking at your manual, you have "lan support intel 824566DC gigabit ethernet controller".  
I think you can test this by going into your computer BIOS and disabling the ethernet controller as tried here
Let's hope.  

I'm afraid all this is getting a bit beyond me Lisa. I may have to mark the thread as Unsolved. You are all doing a superb job but I know it must be frustrating in the extreme trying to get your suggestions and instructions over to someone who is not sufficiently computer literate to apply many of them.

For example - afaik the bug report is at bug.pardus where I filled it out and not on my computer.  .

I checked the threads you mentioned but the only place I can find the word Ethernet in Bios is in the Boot device priority section - no mention of "Ethernet Controller". And I went through Bios twice. The url for Linuxquesions returned a Page not found error.

And yes I do return test settings back to their original ones. Grin

Something new - this page of the thread, for some reason, now stretches far beyond the right edge of my screen so that I have to keep scrolling to be able to read it. Fixing it may be simple but I don't know how

Sorry to be so negative - I'm probably having the male equivalent of a "bad hair day". Grin

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:05:16 AM by Maurice » Logged

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2011, 00:31:32 AM »

Maurice, no problem, and understood.  A good day later as it's been busy here, splitting wood, grocery shopping, and then doggy walk at the park for the shelter dogs.  If I was a real control freak, I would look for a used board and cpu like you have on one of the auction sites to test it myself,  but I'm not worried about it and can now relax.   Cheesy Like I said, at least you can shut down with command line.  And I have no idea how to disable on board LAN for your intel motherboard.  Even after looking over the manual, I did not see where one can do this.  It seems that particular BIOS does things automatically.  You install an external LAN PCI card and it disables the on-board controller, I think?  It doesn't matter.  As long as you are doing the updates for Pardus, hopefully you will eventually see the problem fixed.
Lisa Marie
P.S. this thread page looks fine in my browser window, but if it helps, I removed the shared links.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 00:41:47 AM by Lisa » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2011, 01:49:28 AM »

Thanks Lisa.

As far as I can see I would have to go back to kernel .33 with pae to solve this problem and I can't imagine that happening in future updates, after all it's a retrograde step. However I'll keep trying from time to time - something might turn up.

Many thanks to all posters for the help and suggestions that have been given.

Maurice
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:52:48 AM by Maurice » Logged

owiknowi
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2011, 09:10:26 AM »

good morning maurice,

sad to see your troubles are so persistent. alas i can't provide you with an solution neither. Embarrassed
one thing i found are updated iso's of 2011, you'll find them here.

p.s. i'm going to try and install the minimal 2011 and build from there.
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2011, 01:46:59 AM »

good morning maurice,

sad to see your troubles are so persistent. alas i can't provide you with an solution neither. Embarrassed
one thing i found are updated iso's of 2011, you'll find them here.

p.s. i'm going to try and install the minimal 2011 and build from there.

Thanks owiknowi but I don't want to lose all my present settings by installing another .iso. Especially when there's no guarantee that it would solve the shutdown problem.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: