Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 21:51:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  SOLVED - In a triple boot setup how do I read from each OS
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOLVED - In a triple boot setup how do I read from each OS  (Read 727 times)
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:00:45 AM »

I have Pardus, Windows XP and PcLinuxOS triple booted. If I am in Pardus I am able to extract docs from Window but when I try to extract anything from PcLinuxOS I get the error message " Could not enter folder /media/....".

Is there a way to get stuff from another OS?

Thanks for any help
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 05:23:21 AM by Maurice » Logged

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
John A
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:56:20 AM »

This guide is about a dual boot:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/04/14/how-to-dual-boot-pardus-2011-and-windows-7/

But maybe it can give some help anyway.
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:26:59 PM »

This guide is about a dual boot:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/04/14/how-to-dual-boot-pardus-2011-and-windows-7/

But maybe it can give some help anyway.

Thanks John. Some quite good articles on that site on dual booting but they do not go beyond the actual setting up.

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 13:38:10 PM »

...... I try to extract anything from PcLinuxOS I get the error message " Could not enter folder /media/....".
This probably has to do with the way the properties and file permissions are set in PcLinuxOS.
Set/check them in PcLinuxOS to the wanted values.
Mark
Pardus fellow craft

Hobbies: computers, gardening, travel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 13:38:48 PM »

Perhaps you have the PCLinux partition password protected or encrypted?

I suspect the issue revolves somewhere around this issue or something similar.  Windows isn'r a vewry secure system by default, especially when compared to Linux; one of the reasons why viruses and hacking is so common in WindowsWorld.
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 02:21:26 AM »

Perhaps you have the PCLinux partition password protected or encrypted?

I suspect the issue revolves somewhere around this issue or something similar.  Windows isn'r a vewry secure system by default, especially when compared to Linux; one of the reasons why viruses and hacking is so common in WindowsWorld.

...... I try to extract anything from PcLinuxOS I get the error message " Could not enter folder /media/....".
This probably has to do with the way the properties and file permissions are set in PcLinuxOS.
Set/check them in PcLinuxOS to the wanted values.

Thanks Mark and atolboo. I tried various settings that I thought might be the cause but nothing worked. However you have given me an idea where to look.

I have been with Pclos for 4 years and have lots of files I would like to transfer. It is an excellent OS in almost all respects but Pardus has the edge. That they share the same Forum system is an extra bonus.

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 02:38:04 AM »

Hi Maurice ,
Question, how old is your PcLinux?
I ask because I've seen where similar filesystem in different distos are at different stages of development, and not always readable between.
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 04:14:13 AM »

Hi Maurice ,
Question, how old is your PcLinux?
I ask because I've seen where similar filesystem in different distos are at different stages of development, and not always readable between.
Pclos is a rolling release OS rather like Pardus and a user would update it every 2 weeks or so. I have always kept it fully updated and, from time to time, reinstalled. The actual version I have is PcLinuxos Minime 2011.2, which is a cut down version with a minimum of programs. But, it is right up to date. In fact its Firefox is later than the one in Pardus.

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 05:22:31 AM »

I've managed to fix it thanks to all your suggestions.

I logged into Minime, opened up Konqueror as root and Dolphin. I then opened Pardus in Konqueror and Minime in Dolphin. And that did the trick. Should have thought of that but that's the way it goes with computers sometimes - something looks difficult then up comes a simple solution. Frustrating but very satisfying.

Thanks again chaps

Maurice

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: