Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 03:58:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  Pre-installed Ubuntu computers in China
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre-installed Ubuntu computers in China  (Read 601 times)
John A
« on: November 04, 2011, 15:12:19 PM »

It seems like Dell will try again in China:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/10/dell-canonical-to-sell-ubuntu-pcs-at-retail-locations-in-china.ars

I wonder how it will go this time? I think if you will sell Linux computers you most have some knowledge of it yourself.
It will not work if the employed people only know about Windows. So I hope it will work.
Could mean a lot for the Linux community around the world if China customers accept Ubuntu.
owiknowi
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 14:10:56 PM »

thanks for the link john a

when i was born and growing up, i only knew windows as something used in houses. 35 years later i started my first windos.
that same year i also started my first red hat and star office. the penguins stayed, the windows again are just a feature of my house...

so, if i were to be born in this day and age, i might as well start to learn computing with something like linux...
it's way easier to learn and play with for a curious mind, like that of a child, then closed source bunk.

sigh, there i go again.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 14:18:25 PM »

@John .A
China had a version of Linux ...called "Red Dragon". I've been waiting for a year or so for them to sell THEIR computers base on THEIR cpu's
John A
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 14:48:16 PM »

They got 5 own distributions if look at Distrowatch. Smiley

1. Linux Deepin
Linux Deepin (formerly Hiweed GNU/Linux) is an easy-to-use Chinese distribution based on Ubuntu. Its features include preconfigured Chinese applications and tools, such as Chinese (simplified) input method called Yong, the Evermore office suite, Chinese-English and English-Chinese dictionaries, and Chinese (simplified) TrueType fonts. It also features a customised start menu, a Mac OS X-like application launcher, and other usability enhancements.

2. Magic Linux
Magic Linux is a new distribution, which is specifically designed for Chinese users. Magic Linux is a non-commercial production completely developed by Linux enthusiasts with a simple motive in mind: say farewell to endless Chinese localisations from one Linux distribution to another and bring the native Chinese support to your desktop.

3. Qomo Linux
Qomo Linux (formerly Everest Linux) is a Chinese distribution developed by Red Flag Linux and managed as a community project (in a fashion similar to Red Hat's Fedora or Novell's openSUSE). Its main features are user-friendly desktop, excellent hardware detection, full support for simplified Chinese, and a 6-month release cycle.

4. Red Flag Linux
Red Flag Software Co., Ltd. (Red Flag Software) was founded by Software Research Institute of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and NewMargin Venture Capital. We are focused on the development and marketing of Linux-based operating systems and application software on multiple platforms for the constantly growing base of Chinese technology users. Our goal is "Creating Incentives for Networking Life." The company will continue to develop a modern management pattern we call the "Red Flag Way." This is client driven customization based on our business model involving free software.

5. Ylmf OS
Ylmf OS is an independent Chinese Linux distribution with the GNOME desktop tweaked to resemble Microsoft Windows XP. In the beginning it was based on Ubuntu, but starting from version 4.0 it adopted custom package management (called YPK) and system installer, though the underlying live medium is still built using Ubuntu's Casper tool.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: