Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 23:34:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  Linux Mint new No.1 at distrowatch list.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Linux Mint new No.1 at distrowatch list.  (Read 1730 times)
John A
« on: November 05, 2011, 15:24:48 PM »

Translated with google:
http://translate.google.se/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpavel.frimix.se%2F2011%2F11%2F04%2Flinuxmint-storre-an-ubuntu%2F
Dean
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 16:13:20 PM »

Thanks for the link to a very thoughtful article.

We live in very interesting times.
owiknowi
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 21:00:48 PM »

and very glad to see olpc is still going strong!

p.s. sorry, john a, g00gle and owiknowi don't go together too well... can the article also to be found in english, german or dutch? or a summary?  Embarrassed

add. 06/11
thanks again anglophony for the translation!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 13:23:10 PM by owiknowi » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 13:35:24 PM »

not a problem , was fun...........
Thank YOU for Tinariwen
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 13:38:04 PM by Anglophony » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 13:42:11 PM »

i always wonder why everything has to sink to the level of a rather stupid competition  Angry . just human nature?
linux and the open source and free software world in general, are doing a mighty fine job at making excellent software and open standards.

let the closed source girls and boys just have their fun whilst competing: if governments, other organizations and home users don't want to bother where their (tax)money goes, or what the're committing to by signing eula's and the like, why should penguins? there's no need for competition in order to grow or invent or develop.

imho it's time for, especially linux, to become a serious player on the market: start developing hardware too. the computer architecture is no property of mikrosovt c.s.

with some very simple adjustments we could make a faster, more reliable and durable, and what's more: usable computer, shipped with, by default, a penguin.
suggestion for a brand name: pardus.

add. (a bit or two later):
@anglophony

you're welcome!
and to think they started out as freedom fighters (touareg don't acknowledge our pattern of borders and such, they just can't, being nomads.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 13:46:28 PM by owiknowi » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 14:05:12 PM »

To some degree , computers built with Linux in mind IS happening, (warning I'm a hardware geek as well)
look for the NANO , or the BEAGLEBONE for examples, not your standard type computers, but windows wont run on them as far as I know.....

As for Tinariwen, being that I have some North American indian in my family tree , the irony of their background isn't lost on me
John A
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 15:02:07 PM »

The orginal article is here:
http://pavel.frimix.se/2011/11/04/linuxmint-storre-an-ubuntu/

I am not so sure Linux in general will grow at all. I think it has more or less declined since I start using it. For 3 years it was much more interest in my opinion.

Much depended at Windows Vistas bad reputation at that time.
In Sweden it was more Linux websites and almost all are gone now..
Around 4 or 5 computershops sold pre-installed Linux computers here.
One is remaining only as far I know.

And now all interest seems to be focused at Windows 8. Undecided
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 15:30:04 PM »

If I may
I think Linux is like dirt , it's everywhere , and in the places you least expect it,I doubt it will go away easy..
Also , windows has a clear marketing structure, so it's easier to make money with it, with Linux you have to work harder , and  to have real skills as a result,not just promises.
Don't forget , at one time computers were exotic machines , now they are so common they are almost disposable............
owiknowi
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 15:38:47 PM »

@john a
been mailing with an i.t. student from india a while ago, and one of his comments was: just wait for india.
they seem to be very busy bees, but without all the deafening western noise...

and look at turkey: they developed one of the best linux distro's on the market today (yes, i know: imho. but till this day it's the only open source os getting a hpdv6 to work out of the box.)

@anglophony
looks promising that beaglebone. personally i don't think many people care what's inside, as long as it's clickable and communicates with the web.
have worked with g.i.s. for some years and there it is important what's inside: it has to proces lots of data into information. Wink

p.s. anglo phony: the pun is in that part of your background? (please do feel free not to answer _O_ )
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 15:41:14 PM »

Nooooo, I'm afraid it's genetic  Roll Eyes
John A
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 15:51:17 PM »

We will see.

Windows 7 not support the ARM processor. But Windows 8 will.
And how will it go for Android then at ARM tablets?

It be interesting to see what happends. Smiley I am afraid Microsoft will use same tactic as Apple.
Bring in them in court, for license and legal reasons etc..

About Pardus they had a "dream team" among Linux developers around 2007-2008.
But many of those guys moved over to other jobs etc..
http://blog.erkantekman.org/?p=402

So they had not so easy after that.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 16:19:48 PM »

@ John A.
In recent history, the middle east ( including Turkey ) have gotten cheated by the western world.The last 10 years has gotten interesting, witness the development  of Iran's PARSIX a Iranian distro.Then there is Pardus.

Both of these are ways to build a I.T. infrastructure that is not dependent on the west, allowing them to empower themselves , as had happened in Brazil.

You may find yourself wishing to learn Farsi as well Turkish and Portuguese ....... Tongue
owiknowi
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 16:20:47 PM »

Nooooo, I'm afraid it's genetic  Roll Eyes
ah... yes... well, guess my 1-bit brain is not fast enough to grasp it, except for the genetics, that part seems obvious.

@john a
on the german pardus forum there's something going on too about arm.
John A
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 16:25:34 PM »

Thanks for the link.
Here is some about the Windows 8 tablets:
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/windows-8-tablets-what-you-need-to-know-916134
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 16:32:52 PM »

I am Canadian, the two official languages are English (our own flavour ) and French ( again our own flavour), the French Canadian  word for English speaker is  Anglophonie .The english are known for the lack of ability to speak French ( a canadian thing ) and since  my makeup covers several OTHER nationalities ,( making me a mongrel ) , a phony anglo seems fitting.

I hope this helps
 A.Phony Esq.  Grin  
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: