Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 02:22:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  SOLVED - Is there a file manager I can use as root?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOLVED - Is there a file manager I can use as root?  (Read 919 times)
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:24:36 AM »

Dolphin won't allow me to save anything unless as root, and the repos don't have Konqueror as a superuser. So how do I edit system files?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:41:12 AM by Maurice » Logged

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
willy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:45:37 AM »

Krusader is very good,you find it in the repo.
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:40:42 AM »

Many thanks Willy, just what I wanted.

Maurice

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
owiknowi
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:43:49 AM »

Dolphin won't allow me to save anything unless as root, and the repos don't have Konqueror as a superuser. So how do I edit system files?
usual one can/may only edit system files as root, and that's a pretty sensible protection for your system.
if you just want to get to know some system files, just copy them to your desktop and change the read/write properties. but there's not much point doing that, imho.

if you want to try different setting in system files, just to see what happens, you could consider a separate test installation on another partition?

btw. kongueror is by default installed in pardus 2011.x, just go to the kick off menu / internet / konqueror (webbrowser). you even can set it as your default file browser (see attachment).

* konqueror_file_man.png (76.03 KB, 626x457 - viewed 80 times.)
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:15:27 AM »

usual one can/may only edit system files as root, and that's a pretty sensible protection for your system.
if you just want to get to know some system files, just copy them to your desktop and change the read/write properties. but there's not much point doing that, imho.

if you want to try different setting in system files, just to see what happens, you could consider a separate test installation on another partition?

btw. kongueror is by default installed in pardus 2011.x, just go to the kick off menu / internet / konqueror (webbrowser). you even can set it as your default file browser (see attachment).

Yes, I had looked at Konqueror as a file manager but can't see how or where to configure it to allow root privileges.

Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »

Hi, I just use kwrite or Kate for system editing , called from the command line as root.
But Owiknowi is correct , sure is the fastest way to screw up the system if your not careful  Grin Grin Grin

Edit: My favorite filemanager is midnight commander
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 14:56:50 PM by Anglophony » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 14:48:19 PM »

Since your opening the GUI of dolphin, you:
Code:
Alt + F2
and at top of display you will see the run dialog field.  Enter
Code:
kdesu dolphin
hit enter
and you will be asked for your root password. 
You can also open konqueror this way, too.  I make sure to close / exit from the file manager after I am through tinkering.

If I want to edit just a file I open the run dialog and:
kdesu kwrite file name and path I want to edit as root

Lisa Marie
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 00:04:15 AM »

Hi, I just use kwrite or Kate for system editing , called from the command line as root.
But Owiknowi is correct , sure is the fastest way to screw up the system if your not careful  Grin Grin Grin

Edit: My favorite filemanager is midnight commander

Thanks Anglophony but Krusader seems to fill the bill.

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 00:09:13 AM »

Since your opening the GUI of dolphin, you:
Code:
Alt + F2
and at top of display you will see the run dialog field.  Enter
Code:
kdesu dolphin
hit enter
and you will be asked for your root password.  
You can also open konqueror this way, too.  I make sure to close / exit from the file manager after I am through tinkering.

If I want to edit just a file I open the run dialog and:
kdesu kwrite file name and path I want to edit as root

Lisa Marie

That's what I was looking for Lisa. I knew there was a way of using it as root but had completely forgotten it. Dolphin is my favourite file manager so - you've made my day.

Many thanks

Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 00:14:35 AM by Maurice » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: