Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:42:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  SOLVED - Deleting stuff in Pisi
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOLVED - Deleting stuff in Pisi  (Read 1441 times)
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:08:40 AM »

I want to delete Kwrite and Kate but when I bring them up in Pisi I find  only developer files and no actual executables. I imagine it would be inadvisable to delete these files so what next?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:48:01 AM by Maurice » Logged

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
zvacet
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 09:05:05 AM »

You can try to remove them from terminal with

Code:
pisi remove package-name

but I don´t know how smart that is.I think these packages are part of KDE so maybe removing them you will remove other packages.Someone else probably know that better then me.Read this because you will need it in future.
trixon
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 09:39:20 AM »

kwrite belongs to kdebase and kate belongs to kdesdk.
You are right in that it is inadvisable to remove kdebase (and probably kdesdk too, but that depends on your needs).
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »

You can try to remove them from terminal with

Code:
pisi remove package-name

but I don´t know how smart that is.I think these packages are part of KDE so maybe removing them you will remove other packages.Someone else probably know that better then me.Read this because you will need it in future.
Thanks zvacet but I already tried that and  got the message they did not exist. So I opened up Dolphin and sent them to the trash bin. Probably the wrong thing to do as they are still in the menu and that way would not remove the dependencies

Triple booting - Pardus, PcLinuxos, XP - on Custom built - Intel 06600 cpu quad-core, 4gb ram, Nvidia  8600GT (512mb)gcard, SATA 500gb hard drive, 22" AOC lcd
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »

You are right in that it is inadvisable to remove kdebase (and probably kdesdk too, but that depends on your needs).

My only needs, trixon, are to get rid of unused programs and files that will never be used. I prefer gedit to the kde editors.

trixon
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 10:40:19 AM »

My only needs, trixon, are to get rid of unused programs and files that will never be used. I prefer gedit to the kde editors.

Then Pardus may not be the distribution for you. They like to bundle many programs in one package.
John A
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:18:57 AM »

KDE desktop needs a relative powerfull and new machine to works smothly, like Gnome to.
But there is some "lightweight" alternatives out there that can work:
http://www.xubuntu.org/

I would not install Pardus 2011.2 in a old Windows XP computer. It would be very slow if I did.
(even if I removed applications I not using)

And if I have a powerfull machine why would I remove stuff at Pisi at all? Let them be there but not install them.

Pardus 2011 series work fine in a Vista or Windows 7 computer.

There are other alternatives to:
http://www.archlinux.org/

In general Pardus is made to be userfriendly, it include the most application you using after a installation. But a real"Linux poweruser" that want to make own solution probably choose other distributions (Arch Linux or some similar).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:34:08 AM by John A » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 12:55:42 PM »

And I don't think that the computer will get any faster by removing packages.
It will only make some more free disk space.
Maybe
are bundled by the KDE organization into these packages Huh?
More info: Kdesdk and KDE-Base.
Kdesdk is not installed by default in Pardus.
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 13:07:06 PM »

KDE desktop needs a relative powerfull and new machine to works smothly, like Gnome to.
But there is some "lightweight" alternatives out there that can work:
http://www.xubuntu.org/

Thanks John A but my machine is powerful enough to run most linux distros. And I wanted to remove them from my hard drive, not from Pisi, which of course I couldn't do anyway.

And the fact that a machine has XP installed does not mean the machine is old - XP certainly is old but it is an operating system, not the computer. Also I have chosen Pardus and I have no interest in other distros you might mention
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 13:34:13 PM by Maurice » Logged

Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 13:25:27 PM »

And I don't think that the computer will get any faster by removing packages.
It will only make some more free disk space.

Ah well, in that case, perhaps I shouldn't remove them but I was under the impression that a machine not overburdened with unnecessary programs ran faster.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 16:35:23 PM »

Hi Maurice,
I've heard that, too, and true for Windows, but I've heard not true for Linux environment and have come across forums telling someone not to remove something in Linux.  These were folks coming from Windows and I was one of them and felt that I should remove stuff I didn't use.   If you want to see what uses your CPU, in termnial enter "top" minus quotation marks.  To quit top, enter "Cntrl + c" then exit.
 I do notice Firefox uses much CPU when it starts up, but I don't notice my system being slow from it.  I mainly use Midori browser now, though.  I would think a text editor doesn't use much.  I do disable certain services I don't use so they aren't running in the background.

I consider an amd k7 or intell pentium III processor old, certainly not yours.  I don't consider my AMD athlon 64 fx 57 processor old, as it came out in 2006, but the fact that it is getting more difficult to find socket 939 motherboards for it.  Gamers might think it old.  Cheesy  
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 17:42:21 PM by Lisa » Logged
Maurice
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 09:55:29 AM »

Hi Maurice,
I've heard that, too, and true for Windows, but I've heard not true for Linux environment and have come across forums telling someone not to remove something in Linux.  These were folks coming from Windows and I was one of them and felt that I should remove stuff I didn't use.   If you want to see what uses your CPU, in termnial enter "top" minus quotation marks.  To quit top, enter "Cntrl + c" then exit.
 I do notice Firefox uses much CPU when it starts up, but I don't notice my system being slow from it.  I mainly use Midori browser now, though.  I would think a text editor doesn't use much.  I do disable certain services I don't use so they aren't running in the background.

I consider an amd k7 or intell pentium III processor old, certainly not yours.  I don't consider my AMD athlon 64 fx 57 processor old, as it came out in 2006, but the fact that it is getting more difficult to find socket 939 motherboards for it.  Gamers might think it old.  Cheesy  
Lisa Marie

I still like to run a tight ship and it seems pointless to keep stuff you never use - whatever the pundits might say.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: