Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 12:51:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Tips and tricks
| | |-+  data security and privacy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: data security and privacy  (Read 959 times)
owiknowi
« on: November 10, 2011, 18:22:53 PM »

would this be an useful topic to start on the forum?

a bit like a f.a.q. -not only links- like: what's knazar, firewall settings, (home dir) encryption, where to store your personal data (separate home partition or external), back up of (personal) data, clonezilla, user accounts (e.g. make an account without admin privileges for your daily usage), pgp, enigmail, you name it.

a bit off topic, but interesting though imho, is meta data and sorts of data: the quality and pros and cons of (different types) of data.
e.g. did you know that .jpg pictures loose quality (=data) every time you change something and store it? and what meta data is stored with every photo you take (unique fingerprint, camera type, etc.)?
John A
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 18:37:52 PM »

in Ubuntu there are a disk encryption alternative. Not a option in Pardus yes. But maybe to the next version?

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=18257

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/05/09/home-directory-and-full-disk-encryption-in-ubuntu-11-04/

We will see. Smiley
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 19:04:25 PM »

would this be an useful topic to start on the forum?

Yes
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 19:38:49 PM »

........ back up of (personal) data
Wiki How to make a (incremental) backup of your data with Areca on a .....
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 00:13:10 AM »

Yes, thanks, owiknowi and also atolboo for that link.  That is what I plan to do sometime this week. 

In Pardus, there is a utility called Kgpg, part of kdeutils, but also installed is cryptsetup-luks.  I don't know anything about either.  Edit: And I see Truecrypt is available in repos, as well as the GUI, Easycrypt.  I'll have to look into these. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 15:50:01 PM by Lisa » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »

due to lack of response i'll close this topic. any questions on pardus & security or privacy, you can ask on the forum.
thanks for the input anglophony. john a, lisa and atolboo.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: