Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:57:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  some new user questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: some new user questions  (Read 1367 times)
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »

I wanted to update from 2011 directly to 2011.2. there were around 379 updates to be installed. i tried to update all via both the Package Manager and the terminal pisi upgrade command. After downloading some pisi packages one of the packages fail to download and give error. Next time issuing pisi upgrade will result in downloading the previous problem package and then some other package will fail to download.

Hence i have to issue repeated pisi upgrade commands. Am i doing something wrong?

Second issue, is there only one repo? I am using 32 bit Pardus. Can someone put a list of all repos for 32 and 64 bit in a sticky thread, etc., for the benefit of new users.
owiknowi
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »

hi mahmood,

have no answer on your upgrade questions, since i seldom use upgrades for an os.

on the repositories, atolboo has made a list (they work with 2011.2 too, afaik):
http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3478.msg18496#msg18496
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:01:57 AM »

Thanks for the repo list.

will update it in my system.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 15:20:32 PM »

Hi Mahmood,
I no longer have 2011 installation disc, but I do remember a package manager update error, one package kept hanging up the entire update.  I think it was zemberek-server, but not sure.  What I did was after doing sudo pisi up to renew the list after initial install, then I removed zemberek-server package and then just did one update, kdebase, which pulls in a few other dependencies.  After doing this, I did another "sudo pisi up"  and selected all the packages and all went well.  I do remember the above not always working, (pisi wouldn't let me remove the troublesome package) but kept at it enough where I think pisi got tire of me and gave in.  Sorry I can't remember the details. 
Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 15:21:48 PM »

I wanted to update from 2011 directly to 2011.2. there were around 379 updates to be installed. i tried to update all via both the Package Manager and the terminal pisi upgrade command. After downloading some pisi packages one of the packages fail to download and give error. Next time issuing pisi upgrade will result in downloading the previous problem package and then some other package will fail to download.
This probably means there a temporary problem on the server side and/or your internet connection.

My only solution is the repeat the upgrade in Package Manager or
Code:
sudo pisi up -y
in konsole until your reach to the end.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 16:14:32 PM »

If atolboo's suggestion does not work for you, here is something similar to error I got, the out of range error, translated from Turkish forum, where you can see Sedo79 got to the last update and it stalled.  That is what happened to me, but not with 'spring office' but another package.  biranty offers another command that could work with the offending package.  Just a suggestion as I don't know if it is the same problem you are getting.
P.S. The turkish word 'su' translates to 'water'.   Smiley
P.S.S. And correct command for biranty's suggestion for the offending package:
sudo pisi rm package name --ignore-comar
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 18:59:07 PM by Lisa » Logged
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »

Hi atolboo and Lisa,

Thanks for help,

At the moment i am patiently issuing pisi upgrade commands one after the other, as suggested by atolboo. every few packages, it tells me that one of the package xxx.pisi is not available, next time it downloads it and gives the error on some other package.

I will keep on doing this. i will also try to selectively upgrade important packages first.

By the way, do we have firefox 6.0 in repos? you know both mozilla and libreoffice developement is so fast these days, maybe the devs need to automate the repo updates  Smiley
owiknowi
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 09:28:13 AM »

ff 6.0.2 is now the default ff version for 2011.2 (installed when updating...  Embarrassed )
if you would like to use an older version, like the 3-series, you could try pardus kurumsal 2 (an enterprise os)  Wink
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »

on the other hand, i would like to see ff8.0 and LO 3.4.4 Smiley

you know, Pardus is supposed to be rolling  Wink
John A
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »

Well...
They are kind of slow with the updates.
I dont' now if they just are to few people to maintain all packages.
I agree Pardus should have Firefox 8 now:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/firefox-8-officially-released/

In this aspect Ubuntu are faster. Smiley

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=19505
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:44:54 AM by John A » Logged
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 15:17:45 PM »

Although this was for slackware, but i guess this can be used to install the latest Firefox:

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=25768
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: