Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 11:06:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Google+ Hangouts: also working in Pardus 2011
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Google+ Hangouts: also working in Pardus 2011  (Read 7487 times)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2011, 13:33:53 PM »

Wanted to share with you that I just managed to get my first Google+ Hangout ("with extra's") session working on my Pardus 2011 laptop.

So far I was a bt disappointed that I needed a Google Voice and Video Chat plugin for Google+ Hangouts to work, and that when trying to install the plugin only RPM and DEB versions for 32 and 64 bit were provided by Google.

Now what I do not exactly know is WHY I got it to work  Grin

First I had only Chromium and Firefox browsers installed, and I tried to install the plugin by downloading the 32-bit RPM version, converting it with rpm2targz and then installing the tar source file. This delivered a google/talkplugin/ folder in my /opt directory.

However when I then tried to start, both my Chromium browser and Firefox browser did not work no longer, also not after rebooting the system. The chromium browser crashed directly after starting up and the Firefox browser would not show me a screen at all.

Second I decided to upgrade my Chromium version AND to install Chrome package itself (provided by pardususer.de repo).

I do not know which part did the trick but after opening Chrome the Hangout started as it should with mic and webcam support included, and when I then got back to Chromium it worked as well.

I guess either the correct Google Voice and Video plugin came included upon installing Google Chrome itself or updating Chromium or (less probably taking crashing browsers into account) it was due to the manual installation of the plugin in my first step, and it was just a matter of browser VERSION compatibility, I do not know.

Would be nice if some other Pardus users can check what exactly does the trick so that all Pardus users can enjoy using Google+ including the Hangout session functionaity.

I would suggest to NOT install the plugin manually but first only install the latest Chromium or the Google Chrome browser from the user repo) only and see whether it works out-of-the-box.

f not, then the manual plugin installation would still be crucial for things to work.

Let me know!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 13:29:02 PM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
John A
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 14:04:29 PM »

I got a Google+ account but have not tested it so much yet.
But it's a Pardus group there:
http://www.pardus-linux.org

I suppose Google+ will grow more in time.
Will be interesting to follow.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 14:06:33 PM by John A » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 15:45:10 PM »

Hi Michiel

The last time I had looked , the service wasn't available to those in Canada, or am I thinking of the wrong thing?
I to (btw ) have a google+ account....
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 16:05:53 PM »

So far I was a bt disappointed that I needed a Google Voice and Video Chat plugin for Google+ Hangouts to work, and that when trying to install the plugin only RPM and DEB versions for 32 and 64 bit were provided by Google.
I can try to make a PiSi package for this.

and the Firefox browser would not show me a screen at all.
To get more info in this kind of situation, start FF with
Code:
firefox
in konsole.

Second I decided to upgrade my Chromium version
I guess you did this in Package Manager Huh?

I do not know which part did the trick but
It's always advisable to do one action at a time Grin
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 19:15:59 PM »

I can try to make a PiSi package for this.

and the Firefox browser would not show me a screen at all.
To get more info in this kind of situation, start FF with
Code:
firefox
in konsole.

Second I decided to upgrade my Chromium version
I guess you did this in Package Manager Huh?

I do not know which part did the trick but
It's always advisable to do one action at a time Grin

Well Pardus official repo will not provide it because it is proprietary software from Google Inc, but as long as my mystery is not solved, the question arises whether you should have a separate PISi for Google Voice and Chat plugin at all or whether it is already included in the recent Crhomium/Chrome packages themselves...

When yoo are planning to built a PISI please see also the Bugzilla in which there has been some effort for the 64 bit version.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 20:53:22 PM »

Well Pardus official repo will not provide it because it is proprietary software from Google Inc,
Where did you find this information Huh?

When yoo are planning to built a PISI please see also the Bugzilla in which there has been some effort for the 64 bit version.
Thanks for this ^^^ info. I didn't look for it before.
After studying Bug 14061, I decided not to try to build it.
This has a number of reasons.
1. These people are much better (as professionals) than I am as an amateur.
2. I don't want to interfere with their work.
3. When 32-bit libraries are required for the x86_64 version, it's Pardus-TR who should provide then.
This because it can have consequences for the system as a whole.
And it's a pity that after Comment 16 it's Turkish.
That doesn't improve readability.
http://translate.google.com/ isn't too bright in TR>EN translations.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 20:57:04 PM by atolboo » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 21:19:41 PM »

Well Pardus official repo will not provide it because it is proprietary software from Google Inc,
Where did you find this information Huh?

Thanks for this ^^^ info. I didn't look for it before.
After studying Bug 14061, I decided not to try to build it.

I guess I figured that out from the same Bugzilla page after Google Translate

There was a discussion (in turkish) why the bug was considered closed and then it was reopened, and people stated that a possible PISI solution would only be provided in an user repo (unofficially) and not in an official repo because Pardus does not want to get into trouble woth Google Inc.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 14:05:08 PM »

I asked for more translation help and possible technical info Wink
nkoc
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 00:56:37 AM »

There is a better way to install google-talkplugin on Pardus. All dependencies are in Pardus devel repo, therefore devel repo must be added and active,  but libpng12 and google-talkplugin must be from playground repo compiled.

For 32 bit Users:

1 - sudo pisi bi https://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/playground/fatih.arslan/2011/google_talk/libpng12/pspec.xml

Three packages (libpng12, libpng12-devel, libpng12-32bit) must be installed.

2 - sudo pisi bi https://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/playground/fatih.arslan/2011/google_talk/google-talkplugin-i686/pspec.xml

Then install the pisi package of google-talkplugin. That is all for 32-bit users.

For 64 bit Users:

1 -  sudo pisi bi https://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/playground/fatih.arslan/2011/google_talk/libpng12/pspec.xml

Then three packages (libpng12, libpng12-devel, libpng12-32bit) must be installed.

2 - sudo pisi bi https://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/playground/fatih.arslan/2011/google_talk/google-talkplugin/pspec.xml
3 - Then install the pisi package of google-talkplugin.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 13:18:58 PM by nkoc » Logged
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »

Wanted to share with you that I just managed to get my first Google+ Hangout ("with extra's") session working on my Pardus 2011 laptop.

Now what I do not exactly know is WHY I got it to work  Grin

First I had only Chromium and Firefox browsers installed, and I tried to install the plugin by downloading the 32-bit RPM version, converting it with rpm2targz and then installing the tar source file. This delivered a google/talkplugin/ folder in my /opt directory.

However when I then tried to start, both my Chromium browser and Firefox browser did not work no longer, also not after rebooting the system. The chromium browser crashed directly after starting up and the Firefox browser would not show me a screen at all.

Second I decided to upgrade my Chromium version AND to install Chrome package itself (provided by pardususer.de repo).

I do not know which part did the trick but after opening Chrome the Hangout started as it should with mic and webcam support included, and when I then got back to Chromium it worked as well.

I guess either the correct Google Voice and Video plugin came included upon installing Google Chrome itself or updating Chromium or (less probably taking crashing browsers into account) it was due to the manual installation of the plugin in my first step, and it was just a matter of browser VERSION compatibility, I do not know.

Would be nice if some other Pardus users can check what exactly does the trick so that all Pardus users can enjoy using Google+ including the Hangout session functionaity.

I would suggest to NOT install the plugin manually but first only install the latest Chromium or the Google Chrome browser from the user repo) only and see whether it works out-of-the-box.

f not, then the manual plugin installation would still be crucial for things to work.

Let me know!

I installed gtalk plugin using this:

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/08/google-voice-and-video-chat-comes-to.html

the only thing needed further after that was libpng12, and it worked.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »

Working for me on 32xCormak
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 13:21:21 PM »

This will only work for Pardus-i686.
Also this google translated info.
I am currently on this Wink
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 14:31:14 PM »

This will only work for Pardus-i686.
Also this google translated info.
I am currently on this Wink

Man, from where are you getting these emoticons Smiley?

It appears u have one for every occasion?  Grin
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 15:13:31 PM »

http://www.cosgan.de/
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 19:33:51 PM »

http://www.cosgan.de/

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: