Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 18:05:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  How long Pardus 2011 will be supported?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How long Pardus 2011 will be supported?  (Read 992 times)
Jagdeesh

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2011, 19:21:50 PM »

Hi friends,
Enjoying Pardus 2011 (updated to 2011.2) and don’t want to reinstall frequently. So am curious to know -
1) How long Pardus2011 will be supported after release of Pardus 2012?
2) After release of Pardus 2012,which of the following updates for 2011 will be available
(a) only security/critical updates
(b) updates of official Pardus packages
(c)  updates of non official, community maintained applications.
3) Will there be Pardus 2011.3 with later KDE than that of 2011.2's KDE 4.6.5, or we shall have to upgrade to Pardus 2012 for it?
4) Will facility to upgrade from 2011 to 2012 (distupdate) be available soon after release of Pardus 2012 or it will take time, how much time approximately?
5) Does version upgrade (distupdate) work smoothly or fresh install is preferable?
6) Normally how long it takes to port almost all of the packages of old version to new one?
7) What is the criteria for Pardus 2012? Kernel 3.x, Gnome 3.x or......? When it is planned for?

I am subscriber of  Pardus mailing list 1-user,2-stable updates & 3-upgrade(new version release info) with which nothing can be known about the things planned for future. Pardus wiki for  ‘current events’ and ‘recent changes’ too does not give any details regarding this presently. I am not a member of developers’  mailing list as I am not one among them. So are there any other sources to peep in to the future?

BTW it seems there is no mailing list for ‘community maintained non official applications updates’...am I wrong?

Regards.

-Jagdeesh.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 19:32:59 PM by Jagdeesh » Logged
John A
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 22:50:19 PM »

I can not answer all of this.
But in general they support the versions a long time. And when they stop they write like this:
http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-announce/2011-September/000104.html

I dont know if it be a Pardus 2011.3 or a Pardus 2012.
This can be a help to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardus_(operating_system)#Release_history

I prefeer a fresh install only if it's a new line.

You could describe the 2011.1 and 2011.2 as a sort of service pack 1 and 2 for the 2011 version.
Not necessary to do a new installation, just do the normal update process.

But when it be 2012 it's a major change.
If you see it was never a Pardus 2010 because they support the 2009 version a long time.
So it's not necessary with special LTS versions as Ubuntu for example.

This is a good source for information if you use Google translate:
http://www.ozgurlukicin.com/

I think it a well balanced process. Stabile but not to old versions. A good compromise that works fine.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 22:54:52 PM by John A » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: