Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 08:13:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus Project
| | |-+  Other DEs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Other DEs  (Read 3844 times)
owiknowi
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 13:41:49 PM »

oui, oui... mais that leaves me, poor soul, still with: donde esta el configuration de quel desktop to load on log in?
and
we should go back to the original topic at hand from mahmood, don't we?

just two more bits:
2. is there a simple meta package to install other desktop environments through pisi package manager?
3. or is it possible to integrate gnome, lxde and e.g. openbox as alternative desktops on the install dvd? like on the next pardus release (and in the bargain a tool to select wich applications to install)?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 14:01:17 PM by owiknowi » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 14:01:04 PM »

we should go back to the original topic at hand, don't we?
Yes

2. is there a simple meta package to install other desktop environments through pisi package manager?

good question

3. or is it possible to integrate gnome, lxde and e.g. openbox as alternative desktops on the install dvd? like on the next pardus release (and in the bargain a tool to select wich applications to install)?

Other distros can do it....

You may wish to read this : http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3471.0
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 14:36:29 PM by Anglo » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 16:08:40 PM »

thanks for the links and lxde 32 and 64 iso's are available, dated feb. 2011.
still updated & supported?
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 17:07:21 PM »

still updated & supported?

I haven't yet looked....
baho

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 17:11:51 PM »

but the essence of my question is: in which file is stored what desktop environment to load on log in?

pardus wiki or unix/linux administration don't seem to know the term session management... so what term should i use instead?

Sorry for my careless reply..

Well.. There are someway to change your default DE at opening.

1. You may select your default DE manually in your Display Manager (like as gdm)

2. If your Display manager hasn't any choice for DE (like as kdm) , you may find your .dmrc file (a hidden file in your home folder) and change it manually.

3.  If you have not .dmrc file or .dmrc file signs session to "default"; pardus xdm (default  X DM for pardus), looking into /etc/default/desktop file (in Pardus).. /etc/default/desktop is contained in pardus-default-settings package, and it's default session is kde-plasma.

If you want to return your default pardus kde, you may delete .dmrc

and restart your machine..

but you must control content of "/etc/default/desktop" firstly.

owiknowi
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 18:02:22 PM »

@baho
thank you very much for your answer: i'm back in my default pardus!

1. i started an other pardus installation on the same pc (a live os would probably do just as well)
2. opened dolphin and mounted the partition with the unwanted changes as root
3. went to /home/username/.dmrc and changed: session:lxde to session:kde

that's it! that's all! i'm a happy penguin wannabe!

what i've learned:
- installing another desktop using pisi in graphical mode is not a smart thing to do (q.e.f.), e.g. dependencies are not solved.
- after you logged out and logged in with another session(!) d.e., pardus will change it to the default desktop (q.e.d.)
- the latter should not happen as one should be asked if another desktop environment should become default, afaik.
- instead of searching for 'session management' one should search for 'display management'
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 18:04:54 PM by owiknowi » Logged
baho

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 18:06:39 PM »

No!

There isn't a road sign about it. I estimate that pardus will be devided into pieces. Like as pardus-kde-plasma, pardus-gnome3 or pardus-lxde etc.  Or there will be different comminity distros about non-kde DEs.
owiknowi
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 18:29:58 PM »

maybe the pardus developers might be interested to take a look at scientific linux installation media.
all done more or less under one flag to prevent an somewhat uncontrollable breakdown.
zvacet
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 20:58:06 PM »

I know this is not answer to your question,but I installed e17 from package manager and I can switch DE from login screen.Is in your (not just your but now we are on this topic) case something LXDE-KDE related witch prevents to use them both normaly.It will be interesting if someone else have installed LXDE and hear what he/she have to say from experience.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 21:05:05 PM »

No!

There isn't a road sign about it. I estimate that pardus will be devided into pieces. Like as pardus-kde-plasma, pardus-gnome3 or pardus-lxde etc.  Or there will be different comminity distros about non-kde DEs.

Actually ,sir , you are quoting me  quoting owiknowi!
And like zvacet , I too am running E17 , with kde4 and Xbmc as alternates DE's

Actually , sir , you are quoting me quoting owiknowi
baho

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 21:44:13 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy

OK!

unholy quoting..

"a simple meta package to install other desktop environments through pisi package manager"

means that is there "a pisi package"  to install (or uninstall) a desktop environment automatically. I said no.

I did not say "you can not use other DEs on pardus."

And I hate install any kde package in my pardus-corporate2.  I'm using it with gnome-2 only.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 21:46:47 PM by baho » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 23:57:51 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy

OK!

unholy quoting..

;-)  agreed

but it's also difficult to avoid using either ( or the parts of either )
not impossible , just difficult.....
owiknowi
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »

the original question:

I want to try out other DEs (other than KDE) as well. What repo to add and what meta-package to install to get XFCE and other DEs (E17? etc.)

recapitulating (using only my 1-bit brain):
1. there are no meta packages to install different desktop environments through graphical pisi.
2. thus leaving us with the following options:
- installing them using a console from within the default kde installation, which becomes pretty bloated
- using the minimal installation iso leaving you with a prompt (hoping network is detected properly, and then: installation)
- using the lxde iso dated feb. 2011 (nort available for gnome?)

please correct me if i'm wrong or missing out on something, and please post in a simple way how to go about (like which dependencies are essential)
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 08:58:22 AM »

I think if Pardus (as a project) really intends to offer many DEs, then it has to do the following:

1) build meta-packages to ease installation
2) instead of many official repos, why not 1 official repo
3) Also, i think it would be easier for new users to get both the official and user repos (such as pardususer.de) included in the package manager by default, since the user repo serves several important packages
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »

the original question:

I want to try out other DEs (other than KDE) as well. What repo to add and what meta-package to install to get XFCE and other DEs (E17? etc.)

recapitulating (using only my 1-bit brain):
1. there are no meta packages to install different desktop environments through graphical pisi.
2. thus leaving us with the following options:
- installing them using a console from within the default kde installation, which becomes pretty bloated
- using the minimal installation iso leaving you with a prompt (hoping network is detected properly, and then: installation)
- using the lxde iso dated feb. 2011 (nort available for gnome?)

please correct me if i'm wrong or missing out on something, and please post in a simple way how to go about (like which dependencies are essential)
I see: http://comak.comu.edu.tr/22agustos   for Gnome but this does not answer your questions about META package.
Anglo
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 14:34:09 PM by Anglo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: