Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 16:40:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus Project
| | |-+  Other DEs
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Other DEs  (Read 3853 times)
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2011, 14:45:46 PM »

I want to try out other DEs (other than KDE) as well. What repo to add and what meta-package to install to get XFCE and other DEs (E17? etc.)
owiknowi
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 15:01:37 PM »

maybe this topic will help you or this (in german)?

you should go to package manager and search for the name of the required desktop environment. thus you'll have a choice at login wich de to load (becomes a big os this way).

if you use the minimal install iso of pardus (command line) you can just install the one you like.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 15:09:26 PM by owiknowi » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 15:03:09 PM »

I want to try out other DEs (other than KDE) as well. What repo to add and what meta-package to install to get XFCE and other DEs (E17? etc.)

Look at this repo list  Mahmood: http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3478.msg18496#msg18496

Anglo

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:37:27 AM by Anglo » Logged
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 07:37:21 AM »

maybe this topic will help you or this (in german)?

you should go to package manager and search for the name of the required desktop environment. thus you'll have a choice at login wich de to load (becomes a big os this way).

if you use the minimal install iso of pardus (command line) you can just install the one you like.

Thanks, did not know there is a minimal install ISO available. apparently it is updated daily. will have to try
Mahmood
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 07:38:22 AM »

Look at this repo list  Mahmood: http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3478.msg18496#msg18496

Anglo

This repo list by atolboo is definitely a masterpiece and a very good reference point. will try out now.
Jagdeesh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 13:47:01 PM »

Anglo

Sr. No.3. GNOME project   is inaccessible in the referred link. Is it merged with 'COMAK'?

-Jagdeesh.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 16:18:22 PM »

Anglo

Sr. No.3. GNOME project   is inaccessible in the referred link. Is it merged with 'COMAK'?

-Jagdeesh.

See if this helps : http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3733.0

Anglo
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 16:56:15 PM »

Thanks and this >Re: Repos for 2011 and 2011.1< has (temporary) been modified.
owiknowi
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 17:03:01 PM »

just tried to install gnome and lxde on top of kde through pisi... just quick and dirty in order to try... so just the desktop files...
logged off, choose lxde, logged in, and now only the lxde desktop loads... without any menu's... (the power button still works  Roll Eyes )

would be convenient if there were meta packages, or even better: offer different flavored iso's or just a menu during installation where one can choose which desktop to install.
just my two bits
owiknowi
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 20:18:49 PM »

btw. is there an easy way to get my default desktop (kde) back on log in?
normally when one chooses another installed de, it doesn't, and it shouldn't(!), become the default de by it self. Shocked

and i promise i will never do stupid things again... probably, i think, maybe...  Grin
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 20:22:29 PM by owiknowi » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 20:49:51 PM »

I'd try re-installing pardus-default-settings.

And glad to see you did try this.  If you hadn't we wouldn't know about there being no kde session to tick at login.  Wink
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 21:58:01 PM »

and i promise i will never do stupid things again... probably, i think, maybe...  Grin

" 'till the next time "  :-D

What does "etc/default/desktop " say that it should be ?
baho

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 00:26:20 AM »

You want to use an other DE but you can't reach it. So this is not mean that it's a wrong or a stupid thing.   Smiley

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ2rT5v9qxg&feature=channel_video_title

Cool
owiknowi
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 09:13:50 AM »

thanks for the replies (but what is that youtube thingy, baho?  Huh? )

but the essence of my question is: in which file is stored what desktop environment to load on log in?

pardus wiki or unix/linux administration don't seem to know the term session management... so what term should i use instead?

@anglophony
/etc/default/desktop japper quelque chose de 'SESSION=kde-plasma'

additional:
it is just for test purposes to see how easy, or difficult, it would be to install another desktop and leaving kde as it is.
since there's pisi, that's where one should have to look imho, i found gnome and even 'other desktop environments'!
dependencies should be selected automatically.

worse: an os that automatically changes the default session type, without asking mind you, has a serious bug.
just my two bits.

going to play now with the latest arch (from canada)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:15:34 AM by owiknowi » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 13:04:22 PM »

The essence of my question is: in which file is stored what desktop environment to load on log in?

Been looking into it myself

additional:
it is just for test purposes to see how easy, or difficult, it would be to install another desktop and leaving kde as it is.

ahh

going to play now with the latest arch (from canada)

Bon appetit
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: