Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 16:37:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus Project
| | |-+  A Pardus fork?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Pardus fork?  (Read 4700 times)
John A
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:14:53 AM »

There seems to be a interest to do a Pardus fork:
http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-users/2011-December/000850.html

At the end a solution if the reconstructing process take to long time I guess.
After all many have done Mandriva forks so why not one of Pardus to?
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 03:31:40 AM »

Hi, John A,

Thanks for finding this (disturbing  Huh?) news. I had not heard anything about this; I was only aware that it has been a while since I have received any updates for Pardus 2011 -- which is not unusual, based on my previous experience with Pardus 2009 ...

It seems that the Pardus Team has recently lost three developers (according to Erkan Tekman's blog). I'm sure that this was a blow to them. However, I would like to think positively and echo Ozan Caglayan's statement:

There is a major restructuring at Pardus. This is why there is a little slowdown on e-mail lists, package repositories and all the rest parts of the project. All of these are temporary. When the restructuring process is completed, this temporary state will be compensated.

It took me some time to follow the various threads of this discussion, and to paste them into Google Translate to see if I could make sense of its translation. For those of us who cannot read Turkish, we know firsthand that Turkish morphology and syntax does not lend itself to graceful machine translations ...

For those interested in reading Google Translate's English rendering of these threads, I will provide links below. It is not my intent to stir up any controversy by doing this; I simply hope that it will save someone's time. I appreciate Pardus, admire what the project has accomplished and wish it continued success.

http://tinyurl.com/7q7xmqg
From Pravda Pardus
(Erkan Tekman's blog)

"Personnel Actions." 2 Nov. 2011.

----------

http://tinyurl.com/87zmowp

"Is the end nearing?" 20 Dec. 2011.

----------

http://tinyurl.com/75kljma
[Pardus-users mailing list]

"What is going on in the Pardus team?" 21 Dec. 2011.

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
owiknowi
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:49:14 AM »

hi john a,

thanks for the information. on the german forum there's something to do on this matter too:
http://forum.pardususer.de/index.php?topic=2460.msg28490#new
dedebekri
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 22:10:45 PM »

Due to what Ozan Caglayan (a Pardus developer who is also a TUBITAK employee) says, there is a strict order to keep silent given to the Pardus staff. Due to ongoing regulations & restructuring for the last 3 months in TUBITAK, some (3 developers as far as I know) have resigned, and some (3 others) have left for other reasons.

Rumors say; the development of the corporate edition will continue, but the personal edition (2011.2 as we know it) will end! There is nobody denying or confirming this rumor among the Pardus staff.

Also another source (http://www.pardus-linux.org/forum/g%C3%BCncel/pardus-projesi-hakkinda) says, due to the information he got from different sources in TUBITAK and the manager of the department which develops the Pardus Project in TUBITAK, the project will continue from where it left in January 2012.

Many Turkish users (including me!) are wondering the future of Pardus. We have sent personal inquiries questioning the future of Pardus to TUBITAK, depending on our right to information act. Hope official answers will come soon.

Will keep you posted if I learn more details in the following days.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 22:42:12 PM »

for this information.

And especially for
Will keep you posted if I learn more details in the following days.
As the TR-EN-DE language barrier leaves us (almost) completely in the dark.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 22:48:57 PM by atolboo » Logged
John A
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 03:51:33 AM »

The Corporate version have only KDE 3. But since the KDE 4 have come so long way now (and are stabile) it would feel like going back to Windows XP from Windows 7.
Would even companys want to do it? Wink

I had my doubts even a long time ago when they started up with the Corporate edition for the first time. Split up a team with limited (I think they was only around 20 at that time) resources to maintain two versions are maybe not a brilliant idéa. They should have put all the efforts to one good KDE version only, booth for companys and for home users.

I guess this is to blame Tubitak. They should have employed more developers for some years ago and have more promotion etc..
Or maybe have some other ways to contribute:
http://www.mageia.org/en/contribute/

Around 2008 it get very good reviews:
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3075127327.html

If look now nothing about Pardus at all in Tubitaks website:
http://www.tubitak.gov.tr/en/ot/10/;jsessionid=48669DCD4A72ABFDFD80A7A92278A539

In my opinion Pardus could have compete with Ubuntu, Mandriva, OpenSUSE etc.. and the others at the top then.
If this process take several months very few users will be left.(and probably many more developers will search for other jobs to)

And if it only will remain a Corporate version I will stop with Pardus. No way I go back to KDE 3 in 2012.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:46:15 AM by John A » Logged
owiknowi
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 07:49:45 AM »

personally i wouldn't mind if they dropped the 'personal' pardus edition altogether, provided kurumsal would have the same hardware support and offering both kde 3.5 and kde 4 (and preferably gnome and lxde too).

it's not just strictly from a personal point of view, however contradictory that may seem, but only one -corporate- version, containing more options, would simplify things imho.
again, look at scientific linux, also developed by scientific institutes: one base os with lots of options. choose your preferred desktop and software packages during installation, and so on.

so, all in all i don't see much benefits from the current course pardus is following: a corporate version (lts + professional and community support) and a personal version (looks a bit like a test area, in the best way , that is).

just my two bits, again Grin
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:18:33 AM by owiknowi » Logged
John A
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 10:41:38 AM »

Yes if it got KDE 4 as a option it would not matter. But if only KDE 3 it would feel obsolete for most home users.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »

My advice: Let's wait till the smoke clears and see what will really happen in the end. Wink
John A
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »

My advice: Let's wait till the smoke clears and see what will really happen in the end. Wink

I suppose it's best. I will give Pardus one month more. Atleast then Tubitak should have come with some official announcment.
And if not it shows they don't care so much about the users.
owiknowi
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 12:57:36 PM »

Yes if it got KDE 4 as a option it would not matter. But if only KDE 3 it would feel obsolete for most home users.

kurumsal + 2011 = best of both worlds  Grin

and i do believe they do care about their users, but it's rather difficult organizing these things.
so far they do a pretty good job imho, those scientists from turkey...  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 13:17:42 PM by owiknowi » Logged
John A
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 13:06:50 PM »

I think the Pardus team care about their users. The problem seems to be at Tubitak.
They seems not to have a clear vision what they realy want to do with Pardus.
Not just now even before.

So I would prefeer a model similar to Mageia for example. A more independet Pardus so to say more connected to the community. Smiley
owiknowi
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 13:19:54 PM »

@john a
and a pardus with a strong foundation in both the scientific world as in the skillful communities like we have now?
John A
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 14:39:26 PM »

That sounds fine. But it's  up to Tubitak now.
If they pull out the plug and stop supporting Pardus not much we can do.
But I wait and hope for the best. Wink

And it's not just a Pardus problem. I think in general the momentum for Linux for the desktop have more or less stop:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 14:44:28 PM by John A » Logged
zvacet
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 18:03:03 PM »

@ John A

I partially agree with the article.Partially because we see that cities like Munich and countries like France,Portugal,Brasil....are switching to linux.So,maybe it is not all that bad like it look.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: