Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 05:14:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus Project
| | |-+  A Pardus fork?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Pardus fork?  (Read 4690 times)
richdb
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 20:50:27 PM »

If the pardus project stop ...  are they enough people to set up a fork?

Already one Smiley
namcojoulder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 00:45:49 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am Efe from Özgürlük İçin(aka Öİ) community from Turkey. There will be a workshop soon. But most of users doesnt think this workshop "works". Most users from community cannot trust new TUBİTAK management. So fork will be good i think.

Whatever there is a Build farm trial on facebook.

There is the link.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/176347585803291/?notif_t=group_added_to_group

Thanks.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 01:12:56 AM »

Welcome Efe ,may the efforts be fruitful

Anglo
Yoyo
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 02:43:59 AM »

Hello, I'm Yoyo, administrator of Pardus Life, Pardus Hispanic Community http://parduslife.com/ and forum Pardus-es http://www.pardus-es.net/forum

We do not know programming, our knowledge is basic, we have only packaged software for Pardus but are willing to help with everything in our power

We believe that language is a barrier but with patience and good work we can get

If it were the case, we support a possible fork of Pardus

Health and Strength

Pardus Life | Pardus-es
Linux user#415622 | Pardus 2011.2 Cervus elaphus KDE 4.6.5
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »

Hello, I'm Yoyo, administrator of Pardus Life, Pardus Hispanic Community http://parduslife.com/ and forum Pardus-es http://www.pardus-es.net/forum

We do not know programming, our knowledge is basic, we have only packaged software for Pardus but are willing to help with everything in our power

We believe that language is a barrier but with patience and good work we can get

If it were the case, we support a possible fork of Pardus

Health and Strength

Then ,since we hope to appeal to an International mob , knowing spanish is a good thing , no ?  Translators , writers of documentation will be needed.
As  for basic , you grow beyond it.........

Your support would be appreciated no doubt.

anglo
richdb
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 09:10:02 AM »

Hi namcojoulder and yoyo,

It is good to see and hear this news from the both of you.

I also think we need a fork if we want to keep the Pardus rocks.

We have a fork topic here http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=4312.msg23714;topicseen#msg23714

So place here any news or other things about a fork.

The situation now is:
- We got people from Turkey (and maybe some of the original Pardus developers)
- We got people from the USA
- We got people from Russia
- We got people from Germany
- We got people from Spain
- We got people from the Netherlands

Let get this Pardus rocks as it never did before Smiley
a.palius
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »

The situation now is:
- We got people from Turkey (and maybe some of the original Pardus developers)
- We got people from the USA
- We got people from Russia
- We got people from Germany
- We got people from Spain
- We got people from the Netherlands
and one from Poland (me).
willy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 10:31:02 AM »

I'd like also to help with small things, because I'm not a crack in linux
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »

This +1
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 14:54:39 PM »

>http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-devel/2012-January/002364.html< and draw your own conclusion what you want to do next.
acjohnson
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 15:40:19 PM »

They want us to wait until the end of March to do anything... Can't even imagine...

Anyways, I have created a Google Doc that will be used to collect potential contributor information.

If you are interested in contributing to the future of Pardus as a community then please fill out this form to the best of your ability.

Keeping the form in English is preferable but if you are unable to write in English then that is okay, all form submissions are welcome!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dC1mZm12b1laYlZpTzYySjZzQllYT1E6MQ

Please copy and paste this link on any forum that you'd like in order to spread the word about Pardus and this community effort.

[EDIT]

Also, we should try to put all communication regarding the fork on just one thread. richdb has posted the link above.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 15:42:38 PM by acjohnson » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 15:50:08 PM »

They want us to wait until the end of March to do anything... Can't even imagine...

+1 this ship is going down but the captain states it's ok to stay on board for a while....we have seen that before IRL recently...

Personally I am not sure if I will stick to Pardus, also in the form of a fork, the fundaments are much weaker all of a sudden, where one of the advantages of Pardus was the strong support in Turkey.

The downside for Pardus remains the PISI package format and the language barrier. Technically there may be nothing wrong with PISI packages, but life would be quite easier and the community quite bigger when either DEB or RPM packages would be chosen as default.

Like some other guys here, I will keep using 2011.2 for the time being (NOTE I have been using Pardus as my SOLE OS at home for 4 years now, I do not quit easily, but I am planning to do so), but I am not sure I will be using Pardus thereafter in the near future. It is a pity that is for sure.

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 16:04:33 PM »

They want us to wait until the end of March to do anything...
They are also dependent of other people (management, politics etc...)
And therefore I posted this [Pardus-devel].
acjohnson
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 16:13:11 PM »

+1 this ship is going down but the captain states it's ok to stay on board for a while....we have seen that before IRL recently...

Personally I am not sure if I will stick to Pardus, also in the form of a fork, the fundaments are much weaker all of a sudden, where one of the advantages of Pardus was the strong support in Turkey.

The downside for Pardus remains the PISI package format and the language barrier. Technically there may be nothing wrong with PISI packages, but life would be quite easier and the community quite bigger when either DEB or RPM packages would be chosen as default.

Like some other guys here, I will keep using 2011.2 for the time being (NOTE I have been using Pardus as my SOLE OS at home for 4 years now, I do not quit easily, but I am planning to do so), but I am not sure I will be using Pardus thereafter in the near future. It is a pity that is for sure.

Thank you for your comments Michiel. If you have been using Pardus for the past 4 years then you are likely not going to want to switch to another distro. Once you try them for awhile you will likely realize how clunky and difficult to manage many of them are in comparison to Pardus.

There are many problems with deb and especially rpm type packages and it doesn't make any sense to begin to think that those formats are the future of linux package management. What about arch and pacmac? What about gentoo and portage? There is plenty of room for a Pardus fork in the community especially with its unique package manager pisi.

In my opinion rpm and deb are the problems with the other major distributions, and I believe many agree that pisi is superior.
acjohnson
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 16:20:35 PM »

read this (just posted today):

http://www.pardusworld.com/pardus-2011-end-of-life/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: