Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 00:53:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Xvid Codec Needed [SOLVED]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Xvid Codec Needed [SOLVED]  (Read 4609 times)
MusicLover
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2011, 01:20:18 AM »

I've installed Xvid but still cannot stream content that needs it. How do I get it to run with Firefox?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 22:03:25 PM by MusicLover » Logged
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 02:12:05 AM »

I've installed Xvid but still cannot stream content that needs it. How do I get it to run with Firefox?

Assuming you wish to view online video clips...xvid is a codec (compression/decompression ) package.Now you need a "front end" or a gui for it, eg. xine , kaffeine, or vlc .Both Vlc and Xine have plugins that work mpeg-4 and firefox .Of the two (afaik ) Pardus has "Vlc-firefox ".
MusicLover
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 04:30:36 AM »

I've got both VLC and Xine installed but the page is saying Xvid codec needs to be installed.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 06:43:57 AM »

I've got both VLC and Xine installed but the page is saying Xvid codec needs to be installed.
AND vlc-firefox plugin and/or xineplugin ?
perhaps a link to this page you  refer to would help.....
owiknowi
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:25:01 AM »

maybe this solution, as provided by atolboo, might help out?
you might have to edit the mediaplayerconnectivity-0.9.3-fx.xpi file in accordance to your ff version?
MusicLover
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 09:46:32 AM »

perhaps a link to this page you  refer to would help.....

http://vidreel.com/human/NTk2MzI1/
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 13:53:19 PM »

perhaps a link to this page you  refer to would help.....

http://vidreel.com/human/NTk2MzI1/

I looked , and after going thru the (requested ) motions , it tells me that " I'm sorry , but we not compatible with your computer system " ( or words to that effect ).
This appears to be a window compatibility thing rather than a xvid thing, I'll look further into this...

What version firefox are you using  Musiclover ?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 17:55:39 PM by Anglo » Logged
MusicLover
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 19:55:28 PM »

Using Firefox 6.0.2
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:29 AM »

Ok
I managed to get the hostsites " Xvid" to download, and then break it down to see whats so special about it.
What you REALLY get is a program called "WebPlayer.exe" ,which  ,when broken down gives you "WebPlayerTv".
WebPlayer is a Joombla program written for windows ( there is NO linux version ) and as such receives  high marks (on the developer's pages ) for other video streaming hosts that use it.
Without it on that site ,you can go no further, WITH it I imagine you get to watch all the videos ( and with lots of ads ) you can stand.
But you have to be running Windows.My current suggestion is to try a different video hosting site that doesn't lay traps like this.

owiknowi
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 11:55:39 AM »

maybe there's something not quite the way it should be with the installation of the xvid codec in your pardus version?
if so, maybe you could file a bug report?

on the german pardus forum i've found something about a video conversion program for pardus, so you can try to tinker with some stand alone files to see what does and doesn't work?

some more background info on xvid

add. 12:23
http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3673.msg19377#msg19377

add. 18:00 (not bold, but maybe useful nevertheless?  Grin )
http://www.xvidmovies.com/faq/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 18:02:54 PM by owiknowi » Logged
MusicLover
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 22:04:15 PM »

Thanks for all the help.

I've marked this one as solved. I'll continue to use my old Vista laptop for this kind of stuff, for now!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: