Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 15:35:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Problem with Upgrade Manager - P2009.2
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem with Upgrade Manager - P2009.2  (Read 1519 times)
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2012, 22:53:41 PM »

I'm trying to upgrade Pardus 2009.2 to 2011.2 using the Upgrade Manager. It rebuilds the Package DB and checks for dependencies and then I get an error (see attachment).

I've tried a few times over the last couple of months and always get the same error. Is there anything I can do to get this to work?

* upgrade manager1.png (12.88 KB, 500x132 - viewed 148 times.)
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:06:06 AM »

Noticed that the 2011 repo is now in Package Manager so tried to upgrade using pisi. Got this error:

Code:
Selected packages [module-compat-wireless module-broadcom-wl ] are in conflict with each other.

Can't see how to exclude a package with pisi so back to Package Manager and uncheck module-broadcom-wl and its userspace from the upgrade list and continue, but module-broadcom-wl appears in the dependency list.

Unchecked module-compat-wireless and its userspace package from the list of upgrades as well but module-broadcom-wl still appears in the dependency list and there's no way to de-select it.

Try to carry on with the upgrade anyway and get the same error about module-compat-wireless and module-broadcom-wl being in conflict with each other even though non of the wiress modules are selected.
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:44:10 AM »

Right, realised that the wireless modules were already installed so removed the broadcom modules and tried again with pisi. This time no conflicts with wireless modules, just:

Code:
[python-qt-webkit conflicts with: PyQt release <= 42]

which pisi offered to sort out so I said 'yes' and the upgrade is under way...
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 02:15:41 AM »

Whoops:

Installing 31 / 1128                                                                                         
libuuid-2.18-46-p11-i686.pisi [cached]
Installing libuuid, version 2.18, release 46
Upgrading to new upstream version                                                                           
Running pre removal operations for libuuid
Program terminated.
Script error: tr.org.pardus.comar.ImportError: No module named select                                       
Please use 'pisi help' for general help.                                                                     
bitman-pardus bitman #

Now I've got a partially upgraded system.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 17:46:25 PM »

Hi airtight,
I won't be of much help as I've never tried to do an upgrade via the package manager. 
Can you list your repositories?
Code:
pisi lr
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 19:22:34 PM »

Hi airtight,
I won't be of much help as I've never tried to do an upgrade via the package manager. 
Can you list your repositories?
Code:
pisi lr

Hi Lisa,

To be honest, I don't think anyone can help now because pisi is broken and neither Package Manager nor Update Manager will run now. This what pisi returns:

http://pastebin.com/6HCEsrvL

The repository being used is the stable 2011 repo but as you can see from what pisi returned, the system seems well and truly broken. Maybe I made a mistake and once I had the wireless dependencies sorted out I should have used Update Manager to carry on with the process. It's hard to know because I don't know what this:

Code:
Script error: tr.org.pardus.comar.ImportError: No module named select

means.

I have a system image so I can put everything back to how it was before if I want to,  or I'll do a clean install of 2011.2, just keeping my home partition as it is. I really wish the upgrade had worked though, it would have saved me from having to reinstall quite a few programs that are not in the repo and also I may need to customise everything again to get it back to how I like it. Maybe it won't be as troublesome as I imagine though, I'll have to see.

If anyone knows what that script error means, I'd be interested to know.

Thanks Lisa.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 20:10:29 PM »

I tried using yahoo advanced search to find that comar error, but didn't come up with anything, but I suspect it is a python error which goes back to this conflict:

I have Pardus 2011.2 with testing repo and it is using python-qt and python-qt-webkit versions 4.8.4 release 57. 

If I were you, I would do:
Code:
pisi it --reinstall python-qt python-qt-webkit
before doing the mass install of packages, and if it says it needs extra dependencies for that action, let it get them too and then do the remaining packages.  Just guessing.  Undecided
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 13:26:21 PM »

To be honest, I don't think anyone can help now because

I have a system image so I can put everything back to how it was before if I want to,  or I'll do a clean install of 2011.2, just keeping my home partition as it is.

This is what I know and maybe will be of any help.

In P2009 your personal settings are in /home/username/.kde4
In P2011 they are in /home/username/.kde

And to get all my Kmail messages and etc. back, I replaced the directory /home/username/.kde/share/apps/kmail with a symlink:
Code:
atolboo@pardus2011 ~ $ ls -l /home/username/.kde/share/apps/kmail
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 18 dec 15:36 /home/username/.kde/share/apps/kmail -> /home/username/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/
(I have replaced [my username] with  [username]

And the addressbook is in /share/apps/kabc
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 13:29:20 PM by atolboo » Logged
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 19:16:52 PM »

I tried using yahoo advanced search to find that comar error, but didn't come up with anything, but I suspect it is a python error which goes back to this conflict:

I have Pardus 2011.2 with testing repo and it is using python-qt and python-qt-webkit versions 4.8.4 release 57. 

If I were you, I would do:
Code:
pisi it --reinstall python-qt python-qt-webkit
before doing the mass install of packages, and if it says it needs extra dependencies for that action, let it get them too and then do the remaining packages.  Just guessing.  Undecided

Thanks Lisa, but I couldn't do that. There's no gap in the process to allow it and pisi seemed to take care of that by itself. I think the script error was perhaps referring to the libuuid package but what it meant is anybodies guess.  Huh? What I decided to do was to replace P2009.2 with my backup image, uninstall the two broadcom wireless packages to eliminate that conflict and then try again with Upgrade Manager. This time, it downloaded and installed the packages and all went well untill right near the end of the process when everything was being configured and then the system abruptly rebooted. Saw some errors, then Plymouth came up and I saw another error about not being able to locate the logon splash theme. Clicked past that and got a text logon prompt. Logged into my account and tried:

Code:
startx

Xserver loads, then the splash with the icons appearing and then the system kicks me out to a text screen again with several screens full of errors mentioning dbus, akonadi and lots more. Seems that the configuring in the upgrade process had not compleated, there must have been another error of some sort and that left the system broken. Oh well, it very nearly worked . Sad

Going to have to do a clean install of P2011.2 (just the system partition) and see how that works out.
airtight
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 20:18:34 PM »

To be honest, I don't think anyone can help now because

I have a system image so I can put everything back to how it was before if I want to,  or I'll do a clean install of 2011.2, just keeping my home partition as it is.

This is what I know and maybe will be of any help.

In P2009 your personal settings are in /home/username/.kde4
In P2011 they are in /home/username/.kde

And to get all my Kmail messages and etc. back, I replaced the directory /home/username/.kde/share/apps/kmail with a symlink:
Code:
atolboo@pardus2011 ~ $ ls -l /home/username/.kde/share/apps/kmail
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 18 dec 15:36 /home/username/.kde/share/apps/kmail -> /home/username/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/
(I have replaced [my username] with  [username]

And the addressbook is in /share/apps/kabc

Thanks atolboo,

That's useful to know. I would have left my personal settings where they are now and then be wondering why they weren't being found.

Cheers.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: