Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:50:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  News & Announcements
| | |-+  Pardus Fork
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus Fork  (Read 19299 times)
acjohnson
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 16:21:14 PM »

Excellent, thank you ludo for your support!

Pardus is a great open source project. It is hard to imagine it will disappear.
richdb
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 18:37:51 PM »

Yes .. thanks ludo ..

And Pardus will never disappear, in what way we not know yet, but there will
allways be Pardus Linux because its to good to let go out ..
richdb
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 19:27:17 PM »

They've never removed an old repo from their servers in the past...

That is true .. so what are they go to remove? They can move it to the 2011_endoflife directory. But
if they go to remove the dev directory, is that not say enough that there will be no more development
anymore? So what they (probely not the developers at Pardus, but the guys/girls that give orders) want
to tell in that workshop? That they drop the development directory?
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 23:50:42 PM »

Small news from Pardus-Linux.org ( in turkish ) : http://www.pardus-linux.org/haberler/2012/01/topluluk-%C3%A7abalar%C4%B1
SW
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 00:40:03 AM »

I have no more interest to follow Pardus and I don´t want to waist one more minute.
Good luck for Your fork - I wish You all the best. May the force will be with You.

Bye
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 00:44:06 AM »

Live long , and prosper. \m/

anglo
richdb
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 09:30:09 AM »

I have no more interest to follow Pardus and I don´t want to waist one more minute.
Good luck for Your fork - I wish You all the best. May the force will be with You.

Bye

Hey SW ... also see you bugticket ('please delete my account'), and i am sorry
to hear that you not want to wait a little while. But i also can understand your
choice. And i think this is what the guys/girls that rule TUBITAK want, that all the
users walk away and there is not much left at the end of march.

I still stay at Pardus, and i hope that there will be a fork. But for a fork we need
developers. And after that? I dunno, i use a Macbook Pro and Pardus is the only
distro it almost run out of the box. And pisi packaging is so much beter then RPM,
DEB, or other variants.

Anyone knows what did happend with the Comak. Did they not have developers?
And why did they also stop like that? They already made some kind of Pardus Gnome
and XFCE fork.

SW
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »

Anyone knows what did happend with the Comak. Did they not have developers?
And why did they also stop like that? They already made some kind of Pardus Gnome
and XFCE fork.
IMHO Comak is a university and XFCE packages maybe was a students project.

My heart really belongs to Pardus but I´m not so optimistic about the continuing or a fork.

I do not believe that things going well for Pardus (non corporate). A lot of the developers quit and I don´t see an offencive to restart the project. Also I think we have not the manpower to make a complete fork. Even if TUBITAK will maintain the main parts of Pardus (comar, murdur, pisi, kaptan, .....)
it is a looooot of work. For this we have certainly not the manpower. Even if everybody will maintain 500 packages what do You think what releasecycle we will have? Also we will stuck on old technology because new parts won´t be integrated.

The only reason why I did some packaging is because Pardus was lacking a lot of packages and the developers didn´t take care a lot about package wishes.
So my way is different. Even if Pardus will remain with Pardus non Corporate I will leave because the last two years I was not very pleased.
Do You really think that less developers in combination of some community work of 10 to 20 guys will speed up the innovation and the development? I don´t believe to santa claus anymore.

Lets be honest - what is/was so outstanding on pardus?
Communication? NO!
Stable - YEA - but do You thing less developers and less users will increase stability? NO
Support of Gouvernment - this is not a plus as we could see the last years. Acc. to Tekmans Blog even in 2009 the project lost a lot of good devs so this is no advantage anymore.
Comar and Murdur? This is hidden in the system and is no advantage for me!

The last two or three advantages for me is
1 mulitmediasupport out of the box
2 kaptan
3 pisi

1 - Multimediasupport os not a big issue because when you install 3 or 4 packages (mp4, flash, libdvdcss) then You have multimediasupport. Not a big thing.
2 - Kaptan is really a nice tool to have a quick costumisation of the kde system. This is nice, but not a must have.
3 - PiSi is really simple and imho the best package system. BUT - a normal user will only use GUI of packag-manager.  A "normal" user is not interested if packagesystem is named pisi, deb, rpm or urmpi. He usually will use the gui and that it is.

So when I have a look at the things above ***I***  must admit that there is no reason, no unique thing left.

IMHO Mageia is that what pardus should be. Two Years ago Mandriva also fired a lot of developers. Different than the pardus devs they don´t gave up.
They continued a community distro called Mageia. It is completely community driven with a lot of ex developers. Last Year in June they released the first version (Mageia 1). This version is okay but a lot of packages are missing. When You have a look into the repo of upcoming release in May,
then You will see a repo with full of nice packages. They will do a new release every 9 months and there will be an upgrade manager as in pardus.
Although Im a biiiig fan of KDE in Mageia there are a lot of other DEs available (Gnome, XFCE, LXDE, Openbox [even Razot-qt).
Also a very first version of Mageia based on ARM architecture seems to be available.

The only thing they are missing is packages that are not allowed by license to be integrated as GoogleEarth, Picasa and so on.

Close Your eyes for a moment and think about what Mageia could be:

Quickformat could be integrated. Also  Kaptan could be integrated and insert the option to allow full media support. And also if SOMEBODY would remove comar and murdur dependency of PiSi we could also insert PiSi into Mageia as second package system. With that it could be possible to provide
legally GoogleEarth, Picasa and others as it already happenend in Pardususer-Repo.

Why do we have to invent the wheel complete new if we could have a better System named Mageia with charakteristic of Pardus? Mageia has open arms for new developers but I can´t see here any developers. I can see only packagers and others that giving commitment for a fork. Commitment is nice but it has no effect.

My heart really hurts but I´m not willing to follow TUBITAK or a Pardus fork any longer. Latest on third of May (release date of Mageia2) I will switch to Mageia. As I already said IMHO Mageia is that what pardus should be. Community driven with a wide userbase , open and with a promising future.

Thanks for your reply anglo and richdb - I will now deactivate my account here. 
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 12:29:29 PM »

Bye

And yet you can quote a story about miracles ( with a little effort ) ?    Grin
 good luck , bud
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:37:48 PM by Anglo » Logged
acjohnson
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 15:06:17 PM »

Good luck with your Mageia (Mandriva). Honestly that distro is one of the last distros I would consider to replace pardus, can't stand rpm and urpmi, not to mention the over complication of their gui package manager...

btw your estimation of how many community contributors are out there is extremely low. With all nationalities considered I would expect (based on the current community reaction) at least 80-100 contributors, mostly packagers and translators. We should end up with a similar effort to what the Mageia community has currently (hopefully around 60 supporters or more).
richdb
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 15:20:57 PM »

Hi Aaron,

How is it going with the list? Already lot of reactions?
And did Ozan answer you already?
I think that Kaan Aksit is also a Pardus developer, did he allready give his opinion?
merkur

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 15:37:06 PM »

For the TUBITAK Pardus I Have given up and lost all trust in them. I am using Slackware now. But I would be happy to help the fork.
merkur

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 15:49:52 PM »

Also I think we have not the manpower to make a complete fork.

Chakra forked from Arch with 20 devels
Agillia forked from MOPS with  10 devels.
Fuduntu forked from Fedora with only 7 devels.
When PCLinuxOS forked from Mandriva it only started by one devel.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 15:58:51 PM »

And I can only wait, contribute what's in my technological know-how and see how things develop in the near future. Wink
And this process will need some time to end up into something good (or ?).

And I am very surprised of the reaction of SW.
That's not what I had expected as far as I know him.
Also because of http://forum.pardususer.de/index.php?topic=2513.msg29432#msg29432
Ich halte mich ab jetzt was künftige Entwicklungen und Aussagen aus der Türkei angeht zurück und äußere mich dazu nicht mehr.
This is the reason for this post.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 16:13:12 PM by atolboo » Logged
acjohnson
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 18:19:07 PM »

The google doc form can actually be accessed in spreadsheet view using this link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjqEKqxjPVgZdC1mZm12b1laYlZpTzYySjZzQllYT1E

I would recommending downloading with 'File' -> 'Download as' within the google docs screen because viewing the speadsheet online is tricky.

Right now there are 23 submissions which isn't half bad. Hopefully more will fill it out over time. Perhaps it needs to be re-posted to Facebook eventually and even sent to pardus-camia.

If anyone is interested please use the form to tell us about your commitment to pardus:

Pardus Community Commitment Form (please complete in English)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: